August 18, 2023 Marietta 18 - 21 Fort Frye

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: WK 1: Fort Frye @ Marietta

Post by EasternDspy »

Wtap and Marietta times are awful with football coverage. You got wtap doing articles on football and not naming 1 player. It’s so bad.

Notsofastmyfriend
Freshman Team

Post by Notsofastmyfriend »

EasternDspy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:08 am
MOVSPORTS wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:41 am I wouldn’t be surprised to see Marietta win this game. They return all their talent from last year and are healthy. FF has been the standard but it’s so hard to sustain that success especially with limited numbers at a smaller school. I’ll take Marietta 19-14
You sure Marietta is healthy ?
More healthy than what I’m hearing out of Fort Frye. How many starters are out for the first game? Can’t but think it will make a difference in the game.

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

EasternDspy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:09 am Wtap and Marietta times are awful with football coverage. You got wtap doing articles on football and not naming 1 player. It’s so bad.
I used to work at The Marietta Times just out of high school in the mid 80's and knew Bill Robinson who used to be the main guy in the Marietta sports reporting. Nice guy. Too bad proper coverage is not being given nowadays to the area teams. I seem to remember a football prediction paper partnered with the local McDonalds in the area back in the mid to later 90's that used to cover high school (I think) college and NFL games. Cannot remember the name of it though but used to pick one up every week.

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

Now I remember the name of that weekly football publication. It was Wally and Wimpy's Football Digest. I think is was based out of Parkersburg.

MOVSPORTS
Waterboy

Post by MOVSPORTS »

Notsofastmyfriend wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:35 am
MOVSPORTS wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:41 am I wouldn’t be surprised to see Marietta win this game. They return all their talent from last year and are healthy. FF has been the standard but it’s so hard to sustain that success especially with limited numbers at a smaller school. I’ll take Marietta 19-14
More healthy than what I’m hearing out of Fort Frye. How many starters are out for the first game? Can’t but think it will make a difference in the game.
Exactly my point, I haven’t heard anything coming out of Marietta. I don’t think you can put much on Marietta’s record last year. They were the walking wounded about the last 4-5 weeks of the szn.

BJCassady
Freshman Team

Post by BJCassady »

Fort Frye has a solid program and should be able to overcome their graduation losses to beat Marietta.

Good luck and good health to both teams.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Wildcatone wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:02 am Question for the Marietta residents. Does the Marietta Times even cover Tiger Football anymore ? I'm seeing quite a bit of Williamstown football coverage but sadly not very much on the Tigers. Is the Times owned by the Parkersburg newspaper nowadays ? So much West Virginia coverage in the Times nowadays.
The Times and the News & Sentinel appear to essentially be the same paper now. Sports reporting is absolutely terrible in both, but you're right - hardly anything ever about Marietta HS. I assume we'll get the football preview sometime this week, but that's about the only time they write anything worthwhile.

If someone started a sight covering area football teams, it would dominate both WTAP and the newspaper sites.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

MOVSPORTS wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:31 am

Exactly my point, I haven’t heard anything coming out of Marietta. I don’t think you can put much on Marietta’s record last year. They were the walking wounded about the last 4-5 weeks of the szn.
Walking wounded is an understatement. They were playing primarily freshmen and guys out of position just to field a team at the end of the year. Never seen anything like it. The nice thing is it has built them some depth. They have a few guys out right now, but nothing major.

Old Shorts
Freshman Team

Post by Old Shorts »

Seems like FF has players out due to injuries every year to start the season. Or at least that’s what I read on here.

"Rocking a pair of 1985 gray coaching shorts that are now yellow in the front and brown in the back" :D
EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Marietta S/WR Bryce Dotson tore his acl.

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

Ff will definitely be under manned the first game.

OhioValleyPreps
Waterboy

Post by OhioValleyPreps »

Marietta gets the upset

Notsofastmyfriend
Freshman Team

Post by Notsofastmyfriend »

EasternDspy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:33 pm Marietta S/WR Bryce Dotson tore his acl.
Fort Frye will be missing more than 1 player. Don’t act like you don’t know what’s going on. Put your ear to the ground and you’ll know.

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

Notsofastmyfriend wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:35 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:33 pm Marietta S/WR Bryce Dotson tore his acl.
Fort Frye will be missing more than 1 player. Don’t act like you don’t know what’s going on. Put your ear to the ground and you’ll know.
Ff will definitely be missing more than 1 player.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Wildcatone wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:57 am
EasternDspy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:09 am Wtap and Marietta times are awful with football coverage. You got wtap doing articles on football and not naming 1 player. It’s so bad.
I used to work at The Marietta Times just out of high school in the mid 80's and knew Bill Robinson who used to be the main guy in the Marietta sports reporting. Nice guy. Too bad proper coverage is not being given nowadays to the area teams. I seem to remember a football prediction paper partnered with the local McDonalds in the area back in the mid to later 90's that used to cover high school (I think) college and NFL games. Cannot remember the name of it though but used to pick one up every week.
The days of newspaper reporting preseason is about done. They have very little people employed to do this. Game reporting is limited, but they do the Best they can. Unfortunately newspapers are a dying breed 🥲

TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

Coach Schob’s kids put in a tremendous amount of quality time and effort into the offseason. The number of truly coachable kids with good attitudes of this year’s team is definitely higher as well. A few new additions to the staff of younger coaches who recently played for Marietta College is also a plus coming into this season for the Tigers. Fort Frye is Fort Frye but I think you’ll see a closer game than most expect. Given the current enrollment numbers at MHS, the schedule is now more equitable that affords the Tigers a greater opportunity to be a more well rounded program. The days of making Coach Schob go on the road year after year after year to finish the season at murderers row with three straight away games at Dover, New Philly and Zanesville is finally over. Numbers at the youth level are up as well. Really looking forward to seeing the Tigers progress as the season goes along.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Fort Frye

swamisez
JV Team

Post by swamisez »

Fort Frye has built a culture with a defined system, resulting in a program that knows who it is every year, what it does well, and how to work to make it successful. Marietta has never had anything close to that kind of culture and sustainability.

I don't have any clue who is playing for either team at this point, but I am confident the Cadets win comfortably simply because of their program commitment and consistency.

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

The latest line by Drew Pasteur has Fort Frye as a 39 point favorite. Take it for what it's worth with his point spreads....

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Wildcatone wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:54 pm The latest line by Drew Pasteur has Fort Frye as a 39 point favorite. Take it for what it's worth with his point spreads....
He’s way off this year

Return to “Football”