Wheelersburg 2023

RBH23
SE

Re: Wheelersburg 2023

Post by RBH23 »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:11 am My thoughts from reading these threads are I’m not sure either coaching staff is that great.

I don’t know how anyone can watch Ironton play and think that they are well coached. They do less with more than anyone. Having the most talented team and consistently laying eggs on the state level doesn’t speak to good coaching. They still bring in bunches of players hoping to get to the next level. Players that were developed by other teams who gave them the chance to play prominent roles as Freshmen and Sophomores, and then claim that they were developed in Ironton. Several players have went to the next level and basically none have panned out. Honestly it seems a lot of the Luster has worn off locally.

Wheelersburg is trending down. They don’t constantly win their own conference anymore and haven’t been a threat on the State Level for 5 seasons. Look no further than handing jobs to Sophomores before they’ve accomplished anything on the High School level and it’s easy to see which way the program is going.
Agree with most of what you said.

Ironton: I think Pendleton did a great job coaching his first two years, however, the last three have ended tragically starting with the 30-0 loss to Kirtland. Ironton had far more talent and should never have lost that badly; coaching was exposed in this game.
Loss to Burg the following year was a complete disaster. Can’t put enough lipstick on that pig of a loss.
And then South Range was just a repeat of the Kirtland game; Ironton had the talent but was out-coached.

As for Burg, their football success goes in waves. They are constantly competitive but not always dominant. You can see this from the past results as well where they go on long runs of dominating the SOC to a 2-3 year run where they don’t win the league. Example: they lost the league in 2011, 12, and 13 only to go on a dominating six year run. Now they are in another lull, but they do have a talented sophomore class that could start another run. This will always be the pattern at Burg.

Unfortunately the reality at Burg is that football isn’t always king. Sure, the fans love it, but players can vary. Example: Holden was a legit D1 prospect, D5 offensive player of the year his junior season, and member of the state championship team. Yet he almost gave up football his senior year to focus on his true passion that was basketball. No interest in playing college football.

In fact, many of Burg’s top athletes that played college ball, didn’t play football. Could create an all-SOC football team with from that list of names.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:12 pm
SWHITE2002 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:11 am My thoughts from reading these threads are I’m not sure either coaching staff is that great.

I don’t know how anyone can watch Ironton play and think that they are well coached. They do less with more than anyone. Having the most talented team and consistently laying eggs on the state level doesn’t speak to good coaching. They still bring in bunches of players hoping to get to the next level. Players that were developed by other teams who gave them the chance to play prominent roles as Freshmen and Sophomores, and then claim that they were developed in Ironton. Several players have went to the next level and basically none have panned out. Honestly it seems a lot of the Luster has worn off locally.

Wheelersburg is trending down. They don’t constantly win their own conference anymore and haven’t been a threat on the State Level for 5 seasons. Look no further than handing jobs to Sophomores before they’ve accomplished anything on the High School level and it’s easy to see which way the program is going.

Ironton: I think Pendleton did a great job coaching his first two years, however, the last three have ended tragically starting with the 30-0 loss to Kirtland. Ironton had far more talent and should never have lost that badly; coaching was exposed in this game.
Loss to Burg the following year was a complete disaster. Can’t put enough lipstick on that pig of a loss.
And then South Range was just a repeat of the Kirtland game; Ironton had the talent but was out-coached.

As for Burg, their football success goes in waves. They are constantly competitive but not always dominant. You can see this from the past results as well where they go on long runs of dominating the SOC to a 2-3 year run where they don’t win the league. Example: they lost the league in 2011, 12, and 13 only to go on a dominating six year run. Now they are in another lull, but they do have a talented sophomore class that could start another run. This will always be the pattern at Burg.

Unfortunately the reality at Burg is that football isn’t always king. Sure, the fans love it, but players can vary. Example: Holden was a legit D1 prospect, D5 offensive player of the year his junior season, and member of the state championship team. Yet he almost gave up football his senior year to focus on his true passion that was basketball. No interest in playing college football.

In fact, many of Burg’s top athletes that played college ball, didn’t play football. Could create an all-SOC football team with from that list of names.
Holden was NOT a ranked D1 recruit in EITHER SPORT. 😂

#lilsis💅

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:52 pm
RBH23 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:12 pm

Holden was NOT a ranked D1 recruit in EITHER SPORT. 😂

#lilsis💅
He was all conference at Wright State and played in the NCAA tournament. Also got some playing time while at OSU.

Yes, Holden was D1 athlete.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

I think your post proves that the Ironton staff is doing more with maybe players that aren’t as good as their “Ranking”. It seems that many ppl including you think Ironton is getting these 5 stars moving in that are the best players in the country and that’s just false. Pendleton and staff are taking the kids from SEO and consistently putting them on the big stage. Maybe these kids getting recruited aren’t the freaks your portray them to be. Maybe it’s the coach, staff, program culture that’s getting them there? Has that ever crossed your jealous mind. I’ve also seen where you posted this isn’t the Ironton of old. A lot of truth in that. Ironton graduated 220-250 kids a class when I graduated in early 80s. Which was during prime Lutz years. Give this staff that many kids and who knows how many kids are playing and what that team would look like.
Last edited by XandOs on Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oldtimer55
Riding the Bench

Post by Oldtimer55 »

Burg is 9-3 vs Ironton over the last 12 including playoffs so I’m not sure where the big decline is? I’m sure someone will have something hateful to say so go ahead. Season opener is roughly 7 weeks away so best of luck to all area teams including our friends to the east!

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

Week 1 will be here before we know it. Can’t wait. Ironton definitely the favorite but Burg will be ready as always. Should be a great atmosphere. Both teams have had to replace some key players from last year. Should be interesting

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

XandOs wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:41 pm

I think your post proves that the Ironton staff is doing more with maybe players that aren’t as good as their “Ranking”. It seems that many ppl including you think Ironton is getting these 5 stars moving in that are the best players in the country and that’s just false. Pendleton and staff are taking the kids from SEO and consistently putting them on the big stage. Maybe these kids getting recruited aren’t the freaks your portray them to be. Maybe it’s the coach, staff, program culture that’s getting them there? Has that ever crossed your jealous mind. I’ve also seen where you posted this isn’t the Ironton of old. A lot of truth in that. Ironton graduated 220-250 kids a class during most of the Lutz years. Give this staff that many kids and who knows how many kids are playing and what that team would look like.
The kids coming into Ironton were super athletes before they arrived at IHS.
- Perkins was all-state as a sophomore while at Lucasville
- Felder already had offers before IHS
- Pittman had an offer before playing a single snap for Ironton
- Keyes’ dad played college ball and already had connections
- Salyers’ dad played D1 baseball and was a star football player in his day. Not shocking that his son would be a good athlete.

The kids coming into IHS are very good athletes!!

If it were just about getting kids seen, Kirtland and the MAC schools would be filling D1 schools up with their kids, but that’s not the case. Kirtland and ML rarely to never send kids to D1 schools (they are lucky if any kids play college ball in any given year), yet their programs and coaches are better known than any other small schools in Ohio.

Take the year Kirtland beat Ironton 30-0. Five kids on that Ironton team have gotten D1 scholarships. Kirtland’s only scholarship player went to Baldwin-Wallace!
What about South Range that just flattened Ironton? Two scholarships: one to Baldwin Wallace, one to Thiel.

Just the kids that Ironton has gotten the past five years are better athletes than what these other schools have. Yet Ironton still has gotten beat like a rented mule despite the athletic advantage!

Finally, saying this staff would do better if they were graduating 200-250 kids per class. I agree with that, but assuming they were still playing D5 teams. But unfortunately more kids means bigger division, which also means more talented kids and teams. Given that this staff can’t handle Kirtland and South Range, how the hell do you think they are going to compete against top D2 and D3 teams?

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

None of those kids you mentioned would have played college football. Why do you think they moved to Ironton in the first place.
Here’s an example. The year before Perkins didn’t catch a pass in 2 games Vs. Wheelersburg. Salyers was a back up QB at Burg and moved to Ironton cause he was beat out by his own family . Keyes played JV as a sophomore his first year at Ironton. Felder has no offers from anyone. He wasn’t even the starter at HHS. I watched several of his games in HS. Pittman had 8 catches in his career at Ashland. I think you’re thinking about his brother. He also had 0 offers at Ashland. None are close to the athletes you think they are. Eventually your going to understand that these kids again are typical SEO athletes that are working very hard and trying to accomplish a goal that’s only been done a handful of times in this part of the state out of thousands of opportunities.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

First the comment about Burg being on a downturn is not a good take.

Unless you're getting multiple players in from other schools like Ironton, you're not going to dominate every year, but burg will typically win the ones they are supposed to, usually win the ones that are a toss up and sometimes knock off the favorite year in and year out. The program is still the same program it was 30 plus years ago.

This year burg will be strong on the line both ways. Skilled positions will be really good but mostly young.

New QB to usher in and QB depth will be the areas of concern but he's talented.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

XandOs wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:36 pm None of those kids you mentioned would have played college football. Why do you think they moved to Ironton in the first place.
Here’s an example. The year before Perkins didn’t catch a pass in 2 games Vs. Wheelersburg. Salyers was a back up QB at Burg and moved to Ironton cause he was beat out by his own family . Keyes played JV as a sophomore his first year at Ironton. Felder has no offers from anyone. He wasn’t even the starter at HHS. I watched several of his games in HS. Pittman had 8 catches in his career at Ashland. I think you’re thinking about his brother. He also had 0 offers at Ashland. None are close to the athletes you think they are. Eventually your going to understand that these kids again are typical SEO athletes that are working very hard and trying to accomplish a goal that’s only been done a handful of times in this part of the state out of thousands of opportunities.
Wow!!!

Felder: his junior year at Huntington High, he had over 500 yards rushing, 200 receiving, and scored 13 touchdowns on a team that was state runner up. He didn’t have a D1 offer at this time, but he had offers from smaller schools and was talking with Morehead State (same level of play as Eastern Kentucky). He most certainly would have played college ball.

Perkins: was third string all state as a sophomore! Don’t care how many catches he had in any one game, his talent was already being recognized before he stepped on the field at Ironton.

Salyers: his dad played college ball. His uncle played college ball. His cousin played college ball. But somehow he wouldn’t have made it to the next level if not for Ironton? That’s delusional. He would have started on D and played RB at Burg. Most certainly would have gotten offers.

Pittman: go back and check your dates. Pittman was offered by UK a few days before announcing that he was transferring to IHS. He hadn’t played a single down yet for IHS. Can’t believe IHS fans are taking credit for this one. 🤦‍♂️

Keyes: his dad played college football and helps run a recruiting service. The genetics were already there, and the dad had the connections. He could have played anywhere…

Everyone of these kids would have played college ball despite IHS!

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:04 pm
XandOs wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:36 pm None of those kids you mentioned would have played college football. Why do you think they moved to Ironton in the first place.
Wow!!!

Felder: his junior year at Huntington High, he had over 500 yards rushing, 200 receiving, and scored 13 touchdowns on a team that was state runner up. He didn’t have a D1 offer at this time, but he had offers from smaller schools and was talking with Morehead State (same level of play as Eastern Kentucky). He most certainly would have played college ball.

Perkins: was third string all state as a sophomore! Don’t care how many catches he had in any one game, his talent was already being recognized before he stepped on the field at Ironton.

Salyers: his dad played college ball. His uncle played college ball. His cousin played college ball. But somehow he wouldn’t have made it to the next level if not for Ironton? That’s delusional. He would have started on D and played RB at Burg. Most certainly would have gotten offers.

Pittman: go back and check your dates. Pittman was offered by UK a few days before announcing that he was transferring to IHS. He hadn’t played a single down yet for IHS. Can’t believe IHS fans are taking credit for this one. 🤦‍♂️

Keyes: his dad played college football and helps run a recruiting service. The genetics were already there, and the dad had the connections. He could have played anywhere…

🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Then why did they move? Were they offered a big NIL deal?

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

XandOs wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:55 pm
RBH23 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:04 pm
Wow!!!

🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Then why did they move? Were they offered a big NIL deal?
Sorry that the facts upset you.

Keyes’ father was offered a job with the school, so that’s straight forward.

Salyers wanted to play QB, and that wasn’t an option until his cousin moved on at Burg.

As for the others, Pendleton obviously did a good job recruiting them and convincing them to come to Ironton.

Now back to the original point: these kids were all really good athletes. And despite all of these really good athletes, IHS has been unable to bring home a title. Have been out-coached in their final games the last three years.

This is easy to see and understand when you aren’t drinking the kool-aid!

Wvknight
Waterboy

Post by Wvknight »

New to this forum and have enjoyed reading about southern ohio football and the fans thoughts and perceptions. So if I read this correctly Wheelersburg plays Ironton twice a year and if neither team wins a state championship it is a “tragic” season?

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Wvknight wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:04 pm New to this forum and have enjoyed reading about southern ohio football and the fans thoughts and perceptions. So if I read this correctly Wheelersburg plays Ironton twice a year and if neither team wins a state championship it is a “tragic” season?

They are both Division V and play within the same region so they only way they’d play twice is if the end up in the playoffs. Their first match up is week 1, and also it seems to be that way for these programs no state title no reward

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Wvknight wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:04 pm New to this forum and have enjoyed reading about southern ohio football and the fans thoughts and perceptions. So if I read this correctly Wheelersburg plays Ironton twice a year and if neither team wins a state championship it is a “tragic” season?
Don’t waste your time on here. It’s the same regurgitated garbage every day.

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

Any info on how the 7 on 7 went at Raceland?

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:30 pm
Don’t waste your time on here. It’s the same regurgitated garbage every day.
Us Burg fans try to have a conversation about the team and upcoming season, but unfortunately one Ironton fan loves to interrupt and brag about how many regional titles IHS has won under Pendleton. He‘s definitely proud about those titles. LOL!!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TomUnessa wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:56 pm Any info on how the 7 on 7 went at Raceland?
Heard they played pretty good. To be honest with you, I have no idea what those are for. I’m sure they are beneficial or they wouldn’t do them. When I watched them in the past, I couldn’t tell you if they were doing good or bad. It’s probably something they can use in game film to explain the passing game or for coaches to get a fill of something

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

wobycat wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:35 pm
TomUnessa wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:56 pm Any info on how the 7 on 7 went at Raceland?
Heard they played pretty good. To be honest with you, I have no idea what those are for. I’m sure they are beneficial or they wouldn’t do them. When I watched them in the past, I couldn’t tell you if they were doing good or bad. It’s probably something they can use in game film to explain the passing game or for coaches to get a fill of something
I agree. Doesn’t mean anything except that the season is getting closer lol. I did notice few Burg players on Twitter putting their weightroom testing numbers up. Pretty impressive.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

wobycat wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:35 pm
When’s the first scrimmage and against whom?

Return to “Football”