LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Player Spotlight/Interview with Mason Neff from Newport Central Catholic, Ky

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name Mason Neff

Class 2024

SchoolNewport Central Catholic

Positions played Offensive guard/ offensive tackle/ defensive end

What goals have you set not only for yourself but for the team as well?
Be a leader on and off the field and win a state championship.

What is the hardest part of Newport Central Catholic practice?
Staying focused when you’re tired.

What were the highs and lows for you during the 2022 season?
High - winning the regional championship over KCD.
Low- losing to Pikeville

If you could schedule one opponent for your team to face, who would it be, along with the reasons?
Beechwood - This is the first time they have not been on our schedule in years. They have been our rival for years and it’s always been a great test right before the playoffs.

Who was the best team you guys faced last season, along with the reasons that made them so good?
Pikeville - They were big, physical, and got after it on both sides of the ball on every play.

Which side of the line is harder to prepare for?
The defensive line is harder to prepare for because offenses are constantly changing up their scheme.

Do you feel you are better at the guard or defensive end?
I am a better offensive player because my experience over the last 3 years has been focused on the offensive side of the ball. I look forward to playing more defense this season.

Have you heard from any coaches about playing at the next level? Would you share a couple of them, if you have?
Sam Smith from Hanover, Chris Oliver from Georgetown, Matt Ogle from Lindsey Wilson, Brady Foltz from Morehead, Brad Zink from Thomas More, Ryan Dougherty from U Indy, Nate Jensen from University of St. Francis, Clay Davie from Wittenberg.
I have two offers to date:
Coach Hooperton- Mount Saint Joe
Coach Tom Watts- Ohio Wesleyan

How long have you played football, and why do you continue to play?
I have played football since 4th grade. I am starting my ninth season.
I keep playing because I like the physical contact of the game and the bond that is developed with my teammates.

What have you been able to accomplish to make you a more dominant player this season?
I chose to dedicate my time and efforts to football this offseason, even though I’ve always been a baseball player too. I have attended many camps and currently train at Black Sheep Performance with my brother, Logan Neff.

Which road stadium has the best atmosphere to play in?
Roger Bacon - The atmosphere was loud with packed stands and it was a very physical game.

With this being your final season at Newport Central Catholic, are you approaching things any differently than you have in the past?
I’ve already taken on a bigger leadership role this offseason and I will continue this throughout my senior season whether it is by example or vocally.

What were you able to learn about yourself during the 2002 season that you will put to use this year to help you become better than you were?
I learned that I needed to get bigger and stronger. I’ve worked hard in the weight room to get stronger and faster. I have worked on my footwork, hand placement, and accelerating through contact on my blocks.

What is the best piece of advice you have ever been given when it comes to football, and who gave it to you?
Have no regrets and leave it all on the field - my Dad.

What is your favorite style of music, along with your favorite song, and who sings it?
Rap, FR by Lil Baby

What toppings and crust go on your pizza?
Pepperoni / thick crust

What other sports do you play, if any?
I’ve always played baseball and look forward to going back to it my senior year.

Return to “Football”