LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Player Spotlight/Interview with Amir Jones from Columbus Centennial

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name Amir Jones

School Centennial high school

Class 2024

Positions played Running back /slot receiver/ safety

How long have you played football, and what keeps you playing?
I have been playing football for 9 years. The reason why I keep playing is because I have too much love for the game and I want to make my mom proud in any way I can.

What goals have you set for yourself along with the goals you have for the team this season?
The goal that I have for this season is to become the best version of myself every rep, every second, and every minute. The goals that I have for the team are to win games and give an effort.

In watching some of your HUDL stuff, you seem to hit the hole hard when playing running back, and when lining up as a receiver, you seem to be able to make the catch in traffic. What all goes into making it look so easy?
The reason it looks so easy is because of years of hard hard work it wasn’t always that easy. I study the game and study how I looked on previous reps before. It’s just a lot of hard work that goes into it.

With this being your final season, are you preparing differently than you have in previous seasons?
Yes, I am preparing differently because this is my last go-round I have to give it everything I have. I want to leave this upcoming season with no regrets.

The numbers seem to be down around the city for the most part. As a player, can you share some of the things you do to try and get your classmates to come out and play?
I try my hardest to get guys to take their grades seriously and tell them that football is actually fun to play, and it isn’t that bad.

Have you heard from any schools about playing at the next level? If so, could you name one or two of them?
Yes, I have Otterbein University and Marietta College.

Are you hoping to be invited to play in any of the All-Star games after the season is over, like the North vs. South game?
Yes, I want to get the opportunity to play just for the experience and to have fun.

Where do you feel the state finals should be held?
It should be held in the shoe the reason why it should be at the shoe is that gives high school students the college experience.

What are your thoughts on 16 teams from each region making the playoffs?
I feel like it is a good fit 16 teams are enough.

Who was the best player the Stars faced last season, along with the team he played for and some of the things that made him so good?
Our toughest player that we had to go against was the runner back from Grandview. His work ethic was amazing and he was hard to bring down.

Do you feel that you and your teammates are role models to the younger kids who come and watch you play?
Yes, I do because 90% of the time we have a smile on our face and we always stay positive.

How much time do you spend watching films and training during the season on your own?
Almost all of my free time.

I cover a lot of the Columbus City League games as a fan and a member of pafootballnews.com. I love the Thursday and Saturday afternoon and night games. As a player, how do you feel about them?
I don’t really like Thursday night games because we have to get up and go to school the next day Saturday afternoons aren’t that bad

Other than playing sports, what are some other things you enjoy doing?
I like hanging out with friends and family and watching movies.

What is one food you enjoy that most others do not?
I love chicken wings and I don’t really care for baked beans.

What is your favorite class or subject?
My favorite subject is history.

Return to “Football”