Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name
Grant Beerman

School
Lakota West, West Chester OH

Class

Positions played
OLB, MLB, edge

During the off-season, what have you done to improve your play on the field this season?
I have been working hard to strengthen up while focusing on speed and agility. I ran the 400M and 4x400M in track and worked with a trainer to focus on agility and movement.

Lakota West had a very stout season last year, going 13-1. What were the best and worst parts of that season?
We had a very talented team last year! Unfortunately, I had a jersey finger injury on the last scrimmage before the season started. It required tendon surgery on my left hand, so I missed much of the season. I was able to work my way back into play a bit after week 8, but still required a club on my left arm. The first varsity game, I had the opportunity to start our first playoff game against Lebanon. I was the defensive player of the game with 7 tackles, 3.5 TFL, and a sack. The team went on to make it to the Regional finals with great play all across the team!

What will you miss most about the class of 2023?
There was some great leadership on the team with Malik Hartford (OSU) and Ben Minich (ND) and Michael Brankamp (Centre College). I am going to miss those guys and the leadership they brought to the team and their positions!

Is it more exciting to beat your crosstown rival or one of the big private schools?
Fortunately last year we had the chance to do both! The atmosphere at the rivals games are unreal. It is easy to get hyped up for Lakota East, Colerain, Mason, and Fairfield and there is so much good football in the GMC. But there is something great about beating St. X and Elder and representing the public school football teams vs the bigger private schools!

If you mess up in practice or in the game, what does the coach say to you?
We have a great coaching staff under Tom Bolden. And they are great, old-school coaches. So there’s a little bit of yelling sometimes and they expect a lot out of us. Practices before big games are no-nonsense deals. When you mess up, you know it. But there is great coaching as well. There is always a follow up coaching moment to focus on the right way to move forward.

Which side of the ball do you see yourself playing at the next level?
I have played both sides of the ball in the past, but I am looking to play defense.

Who has been the best player you have ever gone up against, along with what made him so good and the team he played for?
I had the opportunity to go against Jordan Marshall in our Regional Final matchup with Moeller. Marshall’s a tough and fast runner which makes him difficult to tackle.

Who is the best team you've ever faced?
Moeller was by far the best team we played. The bigger private schools are tough, and Moeller’s line on both sides of the ball was bigger than anything we had run up against up to that point.

Do you feel that you and your teammates are role models to the young kids who come and watch you play?
Part of football that I really enjoy at West are the moments where we get to interact with the younger players. We run a youth camp with hundreds of kids, and we get to work closely with them over the week to teach and help develop them. We also have youth football nights during the season, where the younger players get to come and hang out with some of the varsity players. We all admired the varsity players when we were young, and so we know they are watching us today!

What advice are you giving to that first-year starter right before you take the field?
There are a couple of things I say to people, I remind them that everyone has been nervous in their first varsity games and that they need to take on the game while having fun.

Where do you think the state finals should be played?
The state finals should be held in Columbus. It doesn’t make sense for the southern teams to drive all the way north and play a good team right in their backyard.

What are your thoughts on 16 teams from each region making the playoffs?
I like it, It gives more teams a chance to have an additional game, and we all know that upsets can happen!

Can you tell the readers a few of the colleges that have recruited you?
I have had a great camp season thus far. Coming into June I had offers from Miami, Marshall, UMass, and UNC Charlotte. I have earned offers from Duke, Purdue, Pitt, Eastern Michigan, and Toledo in the last few weeks.

What is your favorite food?
Cheese pizza is my go to!

Who is your all-time favorite athlete?
My favorite all-time athlete has to be Joe Burrow as he’s also an Ohio kid and his story to the NFL is special.

What is your favorite non-sports activity?
My favorite non-sport activity has to be hanging out with family and friends.

Return to “Football”