Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name
Van George

School
Winton Woods HS

Class

Positions played
Quarterback

What is it like to play for Coach Murphy?
playing for Coach Murphy is like playing for your own father. He treats each and every one of us like his own. Coach Murphy has established a love and trust with every player on this team, he would do anything for us. we all want to play for him and enjoy coming to work every day because of it.

If you mess up at practice or during the game. What does Coach Murphy say or yell at you?
Coach Murph doesn't yell or scream at us during the game if we make a mistake, he isn't that type of coach. however, come the next week at practice, he will reference back to that mistake you made at random points in the day. This drives all the guys to work extra hard on our craft so we don't make those mistakes.

What is the best and worst part of playing quarterback for Winton Woods?
The best and worst parts of playing qb here really go hand in hand. Everyone expects to win. The community, the students, the parents, everyone. So when that doesn't happen, it's a horrible feeling. On the other hand, there is no better feeling than throwing touchdowns, hearing that band fire up, and winning football games at the Freddie on a Friday night.

What shocked you the most about the 2022 season?
Arguably our biggest offensive weapon KC Spears suffered a season-ending injury super early, so seeing how well our offense was able to come together and figure things out was shocking but just goes to show how versatile guys like Khalil Olinger and Carlos Cox were, stepping in the way they did.

Out of all the road games you have played, which stadium has the toughest atmosphere to play in?
Milford talks a lot of smack, plus the visitor locker room is like a mile from the turf so you walk through a field with a bunch of potholes just to get to the stadium entrance. It's not ideal for the visiting team. It makes beating them that much better though.

With this being your final high school season, what are you most looking forward to?
Kings!!!

What would you tell that first-year starter who is taking the field for the first time right before the game starts?
I would tell him breathe. The game slows down when your playing under control. When you get anxious, things stop going your way.

What do you feel is your strongest attribute as a quarterback, along with the one thing you feel you need to improve on?
My IQ is my strongest aspect of my game. I will not be the fastest, biggest, strongest, or quickest on the field ever and I know that. What I will be though, is the best prepared and the smartest. Reading defenses and picking them apart is what I do. The point I can always improve on is my athleticism. being a true dual threat can create all kinds of opportunities for our offense.

What are your feelings about 16 teams from each region making the playoffs?
I don't really like it to be honest. The playoffs are a reward teams work towards in the league and in college, I don't see the point in rewarding teams that haven't earned that playoff spot in high school.

Can you share with the readers a few of the schools that are recruiting you?
I have earned offers from Wheeling U, West Liberty U, Culver-Stockton College, and Avila U

If you could change one rule when it comes to high school football, what would it be and why?
I'm ok with the rules how they are

If you could schedule one team for Winton Woods to face, who would it be and why?
I think it would be fun playing a powerhouse school from out of state like Indy Cathedral or Louisville Male.

When you need quarterback advice, where or who do you go to?
My coaches are my biggest supporters. Coach Murph and my QB coach Hibbard believe in me and are always reassuring me. They always got the answers when I need them.

What is your favorite non-sports activity?
When I'm not throwing I'm usually fishing or hanging out with my teammates.

What is your favorite genre of music, along with your favorite song and the artist who sings it?
I grew up on country music and I like a lot of artists and songs but my favorite song of all time is Mama Tried by Merle Haggard.

What toppings and crust go on your favorite pizza?
Cheese that's it.

Which sports teams do you like the least?
any AFC North team not named the Bengals has no love from me.

Return to “Football”