Wheelersburg 59 - 0 Heath 2022 Playoffs

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Re: Reg 19: #11 Heath @ #6 Wheelersburg

Post by Sonny Weaver »

scott1297 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:59 pm Does anyone think or know if Burg will have Rucker starting this week maybe practicing him with the starting offense all week might help??? No matter who starts they have to start throwing some more and whoever is calling the plays has to get better at mixing it up
Definitely agree with the second sentence there. The passing game has to come alive or its gonna be a short ride for Burg.

I know Rucker's been getting reps for a few weeks in practice now, they put a package in for him, which we saw Friday night. All season people have been calling for him to take over, I've been hesitant because I don't think he's physically ready. But, if you're going to leave Jones in and not utilize him as a runner then what's the point? Sure does seem like the logical thing to do would be to implement Rucker into the current offense and let him run it. The threat of him passing should negate the opportunity of teams putting 9 in the box again on us.

Tough to make a move from a Senior to a Freshman in Week 11 lol.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

I watched the West game , I saw nothing to tell me the Burg should move on from Jones. Rucker is a freshman and played like one.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

callie15 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:01 am I watched the West game , I saw nothing to tell me the Burg should move on from Jones. Rucker is a freshman and played like one.
I agree. The future could absolutely be bright for him, but just from the few glimpses that I seen him in the West game, I personally did not think he is ready yet. The feeling in the stands and I talked to a few players and assistants after the game, was when they seen the QB change happen they knew they were gonna win. They felt like they had implemented the game plan well enough that Burg kind of went into desperation mode. I would ride my experienced horse and just go as long as I could at this point.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

callie15 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:01 am I watched the West game , I saw nothing to tell me the Burg should move on from Jones. Rucker is a freshman and played like one.

Not saying if Rucker is really ready or not but the play calling for him against West was horrible. All they had him doing was dropping back and chucking the ball 40 yards down field hoping to hit the big play. How about some short passes to move the chains and let him run the ball some.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:03 am

Not saying if Rucker is really ready or not but the play calling for him against West was horrible. All they had him doing was dropping back and chucking the ball 40 yards down field hoping to hit the big play. How about some short passes to move the chains and let him run the ball some.
True.

Better yet, why not simply run the ball when West backed off the line?

If the D is expecting pass, the O should run. And vice versa. It’s not rocket science!

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:47 pm
Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:14 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:42 pm Burg needs to right the ship. Last two weeks haven’t looked like the same team from the first 8 games.

It seems like they are trying to throw the deep ball every time they drop back to pass. They are not utilizing one of the best TE’s in the area in Caleb Arthur. The better teams are onto the jet sweep and it just doesn’t work against the stronger teams.

Burg needs to get back to running between the tackles with some short passes to move the chains.
I'm not sure Arthur is the stud you think he is.

However, it's obvious that THAT particular game plan is Burg's bread and butter, but if teams want to put 9 in the box like West did, it's a wrap. Line is average at best, got ate up this week.

It's week 11, the team is what it is, Jones isn't going to get better at passing and the line isn't going to get better at blocking. Some adjustments better have been made in the coach's meeting yesterday or its an early out for the Pirates, I know for a fact this staff puts in HOURS every day for the team, literally no days off.

Couple things that need addressed:

-Don't know Kolton Salyers status for this week, but man there was quite the drop off from him to Maxie at LB. That needs addressed.
-If Jones is playing QB because he's a runner, then run him more. If not, put Rucker in and run your normal stuff.
-Burg's potential all year has been high, but I haven't seen them meet it in 9 of the 10 games. Intensity level wasn't where it should've been for an SOC title game.

This Heath team is good, the 4 losses were all vs legit competition: 2 D3 schools, a D4 school, and one of the top D7 schools in the state. Pirates on upset alert

How would we know? They've hardly thrown to him all year.
Maxie will do just fine and he has been Glovers backup all year so he has seen the field quite a bit and does a good job when he is in there also Maxie starts on special teams and Excells in that roll so I dont see that big of a drop off at all

Burg grad 85
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Burgs play calling is the only thing that needs to change.

Burg grad 85
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

burg is no stranger to the post season.

that helps them starting this week forward.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
LBD0263
Riding the Bench

Post by LBD0263 »

Burg gets it going and rolls on!

DaWoodSoldier
Riding the Bench

Post by DaWoodSoldier »

scott1297 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:52 pm Burgs play calling is the only thing that needs to change.
Just out of curiosity, do you believe a coach would deliberately call a play they think is going to fail or not work? Amazes me at all levels, from NFL all the way down to biddy football. Everyone is a playcaller, everyone knows a "better way" than the guy calling the game. People who have never spent any time watching the player grow, develop and learn or watched them day in and day out perform in practice amongst their peers somehow knows who is capable of doing what in a game situation? More so than the individual who actually does all the aforementioned? I understand everyone sees things differently and is entitled to their opinion, I just dont get "fans" perspective about knowing more what will and wont work than the people working with the kids on a daily basis. As a Ridgewood supporter, I have a ton of respect for Burg's program and staff. Vey very good coaching in that program, but lose a game in a program like that and your own will devour you. Its not just in the Burg, its everywhere that loves their football program, look a few miles down the road at Ironton, when they lose it will be "coach called the wrong plays", Look at Ohio St, Alabama, Cleveland Browns,simply jump on social media and sure as the sun rises, people will be questioning the play calling after a loss. Its sad, but its part of our sports culture. Im not saying coaches are perfect by any means, but realistically dont believe any are trying to fail, Im sure there are plenty of times the coaches would like to do different, hell even maybe along the lines of the "fans" opinions, yet they have a better grasp of what players are capable of than the "fans".

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

DaWoodSoldier wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:32 am
scott1297 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:52 pm Burgs play calling is the only thing that needs to change.
Just out of curiosity, do you believe a coach would deliberately call a play they think is going to fail or not work? Amazes me at all levels, from NFL all the way down to biddy football. Everyone is a playcaller, everyone knows a "better way" than the guy calling the game. People who have never spent any time watching the player grow, develop and learn or watched them day in and day out perform in practice amongst their peers somehow knows who is capable of doing what in a game situation? More so than the individual who actually does all the aforementioned? I understand everyone sees things differently and is entitled to their opinion, I just dont get "fans" perspective about knowing more what will and wont work than the people working with the kids on a daily basis. As a Ridgewood supporter, I have a ton of respect for Burg's program and staff. Vey very good coaching in that program, but lose a game in a program like that and your own will devour you. Its not just in the Burg, its everywhere that loves their football program, look a few miles down the road at Ironton, when they lose it will be "coach called the wrong plays", Look at Ohio St, Alabama, Cleveland Browns,simply jump on social media and sure as the sun rises, people will be questioning the play calling after a loss. Its sad, but its part of our sports culture. Im not saying coaches are perfect by any means, but realistically dont believe any are trying to fail, Im sure there are plenty of times the coaches would like to do different, hell even maybe along the lines of the "fans" opinions, yet they have a better grasp of what players are capable of than the "fans".
Nice post and I was still just aggravated when I made my original post because I was just trying to find some kind of blame to why Burg hasn't played well the last 2 weeks but loved your post and Go Burg hopefully they play like we all know they can and I do give props to West for making the correct adjustments and winning that game

Burg grad 85
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

scott1297 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:08 pm
Nice post and I was still just aggravated when I made my original post because I was just trying to find some kind of blame to why Burg hasn't played well the last 2 weeks but loved your post and Go Burg hopefully they play like we all know they can and I do give props to West for making the correct adjustments and winning that game
The OC at Burg is actually in his first year. He will be fine. He's a smart guy, and it takes time to figure out when to make certain adjustments. He will have them ready, the key will be when can he take shots with his QB and when can't he. Keep in mind, his QB is a very good runner. He has options.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Obviously coaches have more insight into team specific tendencies, attributes and abilities, but to suggest that a fan cannot watch a game and deduct some sort of critique is a dumb thing to say. A lot of people who have played, watched, studied and been around the game enough can comprehend what is being done on the field. I mean there are people all over the country that make a living analyzing football, are you saying that they can't comment on games because they're not in the locker room?

I do think we have one of the best coaching staffs in the area, I know for a fact they put time in 7 days a week, watching film and game planning. That does not however make them immune to critiques.

The fact is West out schemed Burg last week, and as a fan who wants the boys/team to succeed, it was concerning to see the lack of adjustments made in the second half. I don't think anyone from Burg is calling for anyone on this staff to be removed, (I sure am not - I think Woodward is one of the best leaders of young men and Head Coaches in the state and would HATE to see him leave) but rather holding them accountable to do better. Just like I know they are expecting from themselves. Salyers (OC) has had a full year under his belt now, Johnson (DC) has been there for over a decade.

We've seen this staff adjust and win games before, the Columbus Academy game in 2017 playoffs is a prime example of this. This staff is held to a higher standard than most, is all. A critique is not an attempt to "devour" the staff, but rather enjoying a game and seeing improvements that can be/should've been made.

Bad Snap
Riding the Bench

Post by Bad Snap »

Yea everyone is a better coach after the play. If it didn’t work prolly should have done something different. I say that makes me a better coach

DaWoodSoldier
Riding the Bench

Post by DaWoodSoldier »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:31 pm
Obviously coaches have more insight into team specific tendencies, attributes and abilities, but to suggest that a fan cannot watch a game and deduct some sort of critique is a dumb thing to say. A lot of people who have played, watched, studied and been around the game enough can comprehend what is being done on the field. I mean there are people all over the country that make a living analyzing football, are you saying that they can't comment on games because they're not in the locker room?

I do think we have one of the best coaching staffs in the area, I know for a fact they put time in 7 days a week, watching film and game planning. That does not however make them immune to critiques.

The fact is West out schemed Burg last week, and as a fan who wants the boys/team to succeed, it was concerning to see the lack of adjustments made in the second half. I don't think anyone from Burg is calling for anyone on this staff to be removed, (I sure am not - I think Woodward is one of the best leaders of young men and Head Coaches in the state and would HATE to see him leave) but rather holding them accountable to do better. Just like I know they are expecting from themselves. Salyers (OC) has had a full year under his belt now, Johnson (DC) has been there for over a decade.

We've seen this staff adjust and win games before, the Columbus Academy game in 2017 playoffs is a prime example of this. This staff is held to a higher standard than most, is all. A critique is not an attempt to "devour" the staff, but rather enjoying a game and seeing improvements that can be/should've been made.
Fans can deduct whatever they choose from watching a game, it’s a free country. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I was just stating mine. These are division 5 football teams, these players weren’t hand picked by the staff, you play the hand you are dealt at this level. IMO the Burg’s staff and programs success speaks for itself. Yet the truth is some years you have talent to which makes coaches look good and some years it’s other way around. They won 7 games and lost to 3 solid playoff teams. I simply was conveying its frustrating that after losses at all levels the play calling is to blame. Sometimes it’s not Xs and Os yet Jimmies and Joes. Good luck to the Burg rest of postseason!

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

The Burg has a very good coaching staff, but you can't always be right.

DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

I am thinking this may be a really good game. Simply basing this on the schedule that Heath has played and the success they seem to have throwing the ball, they are not a bad team. I still think Wheelersburg will win, but it seems that Heath has some big play capabilities which in high school football, could always lead to a possible upset.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:18 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:14 am Maxie is fine. Losing Salyers will hurt, he's a starter, always does. Maxie will be coached up this week, and he will get better.

The offensive line is fine. Burg lost to three tough opponents by an average of 8 points. Ironton - 9, Jackson - 8, and west -7. All of those games were winnable for the pirates.

To be successful in the playoffs, Burg will have to complete enough passes to keep defenses from being aggressive against the run. If they can, they can definitely be a threat to whomever they play.
did you miss the West game? West completely controlled the LOS on both sides of the ball. Burg couldn't move the ball the entire second half -- bc there were 9 in the box and no pass threat. The only way to remedy that is to establish a passing game early, something Burg has failed to do the entirety of the season.
Wow, sounds like we have our next head coach after Rob retires since you have an answer for every problem they have. Maybe you should join the staff now and fix everything.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
Bad Snap
Riding the Bench

Post by Bad Snap »

My next staff would be
Scott
Sonny
Yabba-HC

Bad Snap
Riding the Bench