Portsmouth West 14 - 7 Wheelersburg 2022 SOC Championship

Alen Peters
Waterboy

Re: Portsmouth West 14 - 7 Wheelersburg 2022 SOC Championship

Post by Alen Peters »

Wheelersburg needs to go back to the old school smash mouth football.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: WK10 Gold Ball Special West vs Wheelersburg

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

TigerBob wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:03 am
Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:27 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:11 pm

You know what!!! F&$K you too!!! If Burg would have kept running the ball they would have won this game!!! That's why they need a new play caller for the talent that is coming up the next three years. Even if they wanted to start throwing the ball why keep chucking it 40 yards down the field and not get your best pass catcher in TE Caleb Arthur little short passes right off the line.
Hahahaha! He’s crashing !
Hilarious. Woodward - if Yabba runs you out of Wheelersburg, you are more than welcome here until you’re done coaching!

Woodward doesn’t call the plays clown so once again you are commenting on s#$t you know nothing about!!

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

I’d assume Woodward gets to pick who calls the plays.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Great game plan and execution by West.

Burg got exposed. The emotion level was not there for the pirates, the intensity has been an issue a various points this season. West put 9 in the box and dared Jones to throw, we all know he’s not a competent passing QB, especially after the first progression. He did make some plays with his feet though. Once they started stacking the box, I thought for the first time all season it was time to go to Rucker. And when Burg finally did, sure enough those safeties and linebackers backed off — only problem was Burg should have ran the normal offense. With him at QB the run game would’ve opened back up because of the threat of the pass.

Defensively I can’t figure out why Burg didn’t get out of their base forty during the second half. Sissel ran all over them between the tackles. Big kid and he ran hard, SOC POY to me.

West dominated at the point of attack and that’s really all there is to say about the game. Yea the Hail Mary hurt, but West threw a terrible pick in the red-zone — that was confusing also, instead of taking Sissel out for a blow and throwing, I woulda called timeout imo.

Burg had their chances even tho West controlled the game. Great HS football game. Congrats to the Siders

I don’t see Burg making a playoff run with the way the line has looked this season, Pirates on upset alert this week vs a very good Heath team.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:18 am Great game plan and execution by West.

Burg got exposed. The emotion level was not there for the pirates, the intensity has been an issue a various points this season. West put 9 in the box and dared Jones to throw, we all know he’s not a competent passing QB, especially after the first progression. He did make some plays with his feet though. Once they started stacking the box, I thought for the first time all season it was time to go to Rucker. And when Burg finally did, sure enough those safeties and linebackers backed off — only problem was Burg should have ran the normal offense. With him at QB the run game would’ve opened back up because of the threat of the pass.

Defensively I can’t figure out why Burg didn’t get out of their base forty during the second half. Sissel ran all over them between the tackles. Big kid and he ran hard, SOC POY to me.

West dominated at the point of attack and that’s really all there is to say about the game. Yea the Hail Mary hurt, but West threw a terrible pick in the red-zone — that was confusing also, instead of taking Sissel out for a blow and throwing, I woulda called timeout imo.

Burg had their chances even tho West controlled the game. Great HS football game. Congrats to the Siders

I don’t see Burg making a playoff run with the way the line has looked this season, Pirates on upset alert this week vs a very good Heath team.
Good summary. Agree Burg should be on upset alert against Heath, and even if they do win, don’t see a run in the region.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:25 am
Sonny Weaver wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:18 am Great game plan and execution by West.

Good summary. Agree Burg should be on upset alert against Heath, and even if they do win, don’t see a run in the region.
Burg ran various fronts the entire game. West was just more hungry. It comes down to want and will to win. West was 8-1 for a reason.

Ed Gennero
JV Team

Post by Ed Gennero »

Is Wheelersburg losing the their mental edge over local teams?

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:37 am

Burg ran various fronts the entire game. West was just more hungry. It comes down to want and will to win. West was 8-1 for a reason.
I didn’t see Burg in anything other than a forty front all game. Haven’t seen anything else the majority of the year tbh.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ed Gennero wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:40 am Is Wheelersburg losing the their mental edge over local teams?
No. Although Every now and then they do lose the SOC. Took west 10 years from the last time.

Ed Gennero
JV Team

Post by Ed Gennero »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:42 am
Ed Gennero wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:40 am Is Wheelersburg losing the their mental edge over local teams?
No. Although Every now and then they do lose the SOC. Took west 10 years from the last time.
Ironton and Jackson definitely not intimidated anymore. West and waverly have won league titles recently. I think there is something to it .

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:41 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:37 am

I didn’t see Burg in anything other than a forty front all game. Haven’t seen anything else the majority of the year tbh.
They started in a 3 man and sometimes shifted into a 4. Typically they run a 4. But they have played some 3 man this year.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ed Gennero wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:43 am
Ironton and Jackson definitely not intimidated anymore. West and waverly have won league titles recently. I think there is something to it .
Oh you do? lol They didn’t have a mental block last year against Ironton in the playoffs. Just a solid year for burg.
Burg has won 8 of the last 10 SOC. That’s not a fall.

If only they could of snagged a running back from Huntington, a defensive player from northwest, a receiver from Ashland and a receiver from valley

Ed Gennero
JV Team

Post by Ed Gennero »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:44 am

Oh you do? lol They didn’t have a mental block last year against Ironton in the playoffs. Just a solid year for burg.
Never said a fall. For a good 5 years run Burg was light years ahead is everyone in the area. Jackson was won 3 or 4 in a row , Ironton 2 out of last 4. Burg hasn’t won the soc 2 of last 3 years. Other teams are catching up.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ed Gennero wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:47 am

Never said a fall. For a good 5 years run Burg was light years ahead is everyone in the area. Jackson was won 3 or 4 in a row , Ironton 2 out of last 4. Burg hasn’t won the soc 2 of last 3 years. Other teams are catching up.
They usually go on a ten year run then have a couple of losses and start over.

Ed Gennero
JV Team

Post by Ed Gennero »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:50 am

I don’t see them dominating ironton or Jackson like they did.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ed Gennero wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:53 am

Have they ever dominated either? No. Jackson is d3 and Ironton is a team of good players with transfers.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Thank you for using transfers instead of recruits. Accurate language matters.

Ed Gennero
JV Team

Post by Ed Gennero »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:55 am
Ed Gennero wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:53 am

Have they ever dominated either? No. Jackson is d3 and Ironton is a team of good players with transfers.

Oh yeah , for about 5-6 years burg was king

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Burg is a very good football team. But it’s not what Burg did wrong last night. It’s what West did right. They had a game plan and executed almost perfectly. No penalties at all. Played lights out defense and made big plays at pivotal moments. I think people, and you know the kids do as well looking at games and comparing Waverly and Minford scores helped us. Kind of under the radar. You could say the Hail Mary tip pass was a fluke, but to me that just made up for the time before when we should have scored in the red zone. Mitchell Irwin’s stat line was not that great, but he made good decisions to help get us in position to run Sissel. Burg isn’t going anywhere. They are still Burg and will remain a team to beat in the SOC and southern Ohio. But this victory last night may have lit a little spark for a West program that has veered away from that winning attitude for a little while. I was more excited than anything watching the “little Siders” pee wee teams getting pictures, autographs , and pumping up the crowd after the game. That’s where culture is established. We need not to look ahead, but we can make a run. The boys have confidence, and by no means am I saying we will beat Ironton. But I can guarantee you they are not afraid of them. Take care of NW first though. Go Siders, the 2022 SOC Champions

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Ed Gennero
JV Team

Post by Ed Gennero »

SiderBlood wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:05 pm Burg is a very good football team. But it’s not what Burg did wrong last night. It’s what West did right. They had a game plan and executed almost perfectly. No penalties at all. Played lights out defense and made big plays at pivotal moments. I think people, and you know the kids do as well looking at games and comparing Waverly and Minford scores helped us. Kind of under the radar. You could say the Hail Mary tip pass was a fluke, but to me that just made up for the time before when we should have scored in the red zone. Mitchell Irwin’s stat line was not that great, but he made good decisions to help get us in position to run Sissel. Burg isn’t going anywhere. They are still Burg and will remain a team to beat in the SOC and southern Ohio. But this victory last night may have lit a little spark for a West program that has veered away from that winning attitude for a little while. I was more excited than anything watching the “little Siders” pee wee teams getting pictures, autographs , and pumping up the crowd after the game. That’s where culture is established. We need not to look ahead, but we can make a run. The boys have confidence, and by no means am I saying we will beat Ironton. But I can guarantee you they are not afraid of them. Take care of NW first though. Go Siders, the 2022 SOC Champions
Burg has won many games because of a huge mental edge. West put a stop to that. 👊

Return to “Football”