Portsmouth West 14 - 7 Wheelersburg 2022 SOC Championship

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Re: Forget Week 9 for the soc . West vs Wheelersburg for the gold ball

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

SiderBlood wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:48 pm
Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:40 pm
wobycat wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:25 am

Last year was a great playoff battle but I took a peak for this year, and my early prediction is another lopsided victory for the pirates. The one thing that I think West has to worry about in this game is special teams and depth. Burg should have favored field position all night. Also this will be West's toughest game as of yet so the starters will have to battle the entire game. Burg doesn't have too many two way players, if they do go both ways, they get rest with backups. If Burg makes a few mistakes and allows West to get a couple of easier scores, then it could get close. But if Burg plays mistake free, they should pull away in 3rd.
This is a game that Burg is accustom to and it’s what defines their program. Teams thinking they have it together just to get beaten by the team that has been the gold standard. Look at Waverly just last year, retained a lot of important players from the 2020 team and lost in 2021 when they were more than capable of winning. I see the same with West, more than capable of winning it’s just a matter of putting it together for 4 quarters
Well you beat me to the point about Waverly. We have beat Burg the same amount of times since 2010, so it's not like anyone else in the SOC has really been up to that level. Their is no question they are the gold standard of football in this area. I also never said we would beat them.

11 on 11 we have just as good, if not better players. They can reach on the bench and get better than we can though. They are very well coached, know how to win and expect to win. Special teams and fresh legs could very well be where the game gets decided, into the 4th. West will only win if we have 0 turnovers, limit the penalties, play field position, and play efficient pass coverage.

To say West has no chance is stupid. They are a very talented group and we are proud of them. Everyone always says don't get mad at other programs for being good, try to make yours better. Well that's what we are doing. Whats scary is when you look at the talent we have lost to other schools, and then we turn around and beat those schools. Really head scratching when people say bad things about the program, leave for "greener grass" and then lose to us. Imagine if we had both the Hurds, Hart from ND, Sanderlin brothers etc.. We are 8-1, and going to be playing for an SOC championship at a beautiful stadium. Do you want us to tell the kids they have no shot? West has a proud football program. Had some very good ball players through the years. 2nd in SOC championships. Been to a state championship. All time winning percentage is above .600 which puts us in the top 10 percent of teams in Southeastern Ohio. Might not be Burg or Ironton, but it is a proud football town, and we want it to be at that level. It went through some hit or miss years. And alot of these kids didn't experience the winning attitude and expectations as they were growing up through the feeder system. We want to bring those expectations back to what it was in the past.

So yeah their has been some let downs in the past 10 years. But that doesn't mean they aren't capable. One thing this age does have, is success against Burg in years prior. I dont necessarily think beating them in middle school makes them better. But alot of teams are beat against Burg before they step on the field, because it says Burg. This group knows they can beat them.

I really do hate even talking about it with an Oak Hill team to beat before but it is what it is. I hope for a huge crowd and playoff environment. I'll be there cheering them on, got to believe you can win or it will never happen. Go Siders

Never once did I discredit the history of West’s football achievements. They have a very prideful tradition and should embrace it. I referenced the last few match ups bc it seems anytime this game gets the billing it never delivers for a fan of neither side. That’s what I am I have no dog in the fight.

Absolutely West has a shot to win this game, do certain things have to go right yes, that’s why they play the games. I hope it’s a great game would love to even see West win but I don’t see it happening as of today.

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Beat Oak Hill first.

Michigan had no chance to beat Ohio State last year either because of similar reasons and we all know how that turned out. That’s why they play the games

ItownFootball
Waterboy

Post by ItownFootball »

If west can stop the big run plays they win, wheelerburg has 0 passing game.

footballfan123
Waterboy

Post by footballfan123 »

West is a pretty good football team but there is no way they are stopping burg. Burg is always a better improved team at the end of the year. Burg wins
Burg 35
West 7

Nicknevada86
Varsity

Post by Nicknevada86 »

Should be great game
Burg 24-13

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

ItownFootball wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:00 am If west can stop the big run plays they win, wheelerburg has 0 passing game.
Burgs passing game is better than what you think

Burg grad 85
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

BIGTIME game

This maybe not the only time these two cross paths in the coming weeks.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

winner gets harvest prep in 3rd round, loser gets ironton

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Paulcrew wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:49 am winner gets harvest prep in 3rd round, loser gets ironton

Thank for the that. Tough road ahead either way. I didn’t know how that would shake out afyer tonight’s game

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
mattash
Site Admin

Re: WK10 Gold Ball Special West vs Wheelersburg

Post by mattash »

Picking West with the upset this year.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Paulcrew wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:49 am winner gets harvest prep in 3rd round, loser gets ironton
That would mean that Burg with a win would move to 3rd in the region I dont think that's gonna happen even with a win I think Burg at best will get the 4th spot possible even the 5th spot which means they will play Ironton in the 3rd round if they make it that far.. Barnsville and Centerburg will probably end up in the 3 and 4 spots but I would love to see Burg get 2 home games but on the other hand if West wins they will definitely end up 3rd in the region and play Prep in the 3rd round if they would make it that far

Burg grad 85
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

If burg is ready, they will be fine in this one. In 2017, The year they won the state burg had a similar outcome against valley, against a similar ball team. Valley only won 3 games that year and burg only won 38-7. Everyone thought they’d blow valley out.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

This Burg team is no where near the 2017 team .

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

ItownFootball wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:00 am If west can stop the big run plays they win, wheelerburg has 0 passing game.
ZERO

it’s embarrassing

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

scott1297 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:16 am
Scott cmon, you know it’s not.
He can hit the PA pass on occasion, as long as he’s rolling right. But to ask for him to sit in the pocket and throw isn’t gonna happen. Last night I saw him go to a second read ONCE and he hit E Lattimore on the left hash, and Lattimore does what he does and got plenty of YAC.

If jones could do that 5x a game it’d be something. But he’s just proven time and time again he’s not capable. Great kid, GREAT runner, adds a total different dynamic to the run game for us which will win a few games in the playoffs..just isn’t a passing QB.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Gonna be a great atmosphere, great crowd and great game. Good luck to both schools. This one can go either way I feel.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

callie15 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:55 am This Burg team is no where near the 2017 team .
Lol. Wasn’t comparing teams only scenarios. I’m sure in 2017 burg wasn’t ready to play that game either. With the records of both teams. As far as this team, they are better than what people tend to evaluate.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:04 am
He can hit the PA pass on occasion, as long as he’s rolling right. But to ask for him to sit in the pocket and throw isn’t gonna happen. Last night I saw him go to a second read ONCE and he hit E Lattimore on the left hash, and Lattimore does what he does and got plenty of YAC.

If jones could do that 5x a game it’d be something. But he’s just proven time and time again he’s not capable. Great kid, GREAT runner, adds a total different dynamic to the run game for us which will win a few games in the playoffs..just isn’t a passing QB.
When burg won the state game, they really weren’t a run team. They passed to set up the run. It’s the opposite now. Run to set up the pass. Jones will be fine. If he completes over 50% of his attempts in a game, burgs offense is hard to defend.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:37 am
Sonny Weaver wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:04 am

When burg won the state game, they really weren’t a run team. They passed to set up the run. It’s the opposite now. Run to set up the pass. Jones will be fine. If he completes over 50% of his attempts in a game, burgs offense is hard to defend.
Thats fine in theory, I think I disagree however — I think you need to be more pass dominant in todays game to go to state — but all that is irrelevant because its year 2 with Jones at QB and he’s not shown that he can sit in a pocket and complete 50% of passes. Play action rollout to his right where he has an option to tuck and run is the only time he looks comfortable throwing.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

It most definitely is not.

Watching SE Ohio basketball

Return to “Football”