Piketon 14 - 21 Valley 2022

purplegold
Riding the Bench

Re: WK3 Valley @ Piketon

Post by purplegold »

Not sure what Piketon has, but Valley's D has to be better. Coal Grove's offense (which, IMO, is the most boring offense I've seen) was run heavy, and we could not stop the run. Being fatigued had nothing to do with it. They ran all over us from the moment the game started. And as we saw with Portsmouth, our pass coverage was not good either. We just need to take pride in our defense and do a better job. Doesn't matter how many yards or touchdowns we score on offense; if our defense can't make stops, we will be in for a long season. I know they can do better than what they are doing. They just have to go out and prove it.

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

WNXT postgame credited the 2 Valley safeties with 25 total tackles. That is not a winning formula.

Valley91
Waterboy

Post by Valley91 »

IMO valley’s problem on defense in their first two games is defense is definitely gassed. They have definitely been capable of winning both games going into fourth quarter. Start of fourth they hit a wall a lot of players play both ways so they have to be gassed. They don’t substitute very often why not give those kids a break of a couple of plays. They definitely have kids on sidelines that are capable of giving these kids a break.

Baseball_Dad
Riding the Bench

Post by Baseball_Dad »

Valley91 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:23 pm IMO valley’s problem on defense in their first two games is defense is definitely gassed. They have definitely been capable of winning both games going into fourth quarter. Start of fourth they hit a wall a lot of players play both ways so they have to be gassed. They don’t substitute very often why not give those kids a break of a couple of plays. They definitely have kids on sidelines that are capable of giving these kids a break.
Then what was the issue the first 2 or 3 quarters on Friday? I believe I saw 6 or 7 different defensive linemen. The kids getting struggling up front Friday have been some of the biggest weight room guys and experienced players. My guess is the drop off is pretty big after those 6-7.

Alitown
Freshman Team

Post by Alitown »

Baseball_Dad wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:58 pm
Valley91 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:23 pm IMO valley’s problem on defense in their first two games is defense is definitely gassed. They have definitely been capable of winning both games going into fourth quarter. Start of fourth they hit a wall a lot of players play both ways so they have to be gassed. They don’t substitute very often why not give those kids a break of a couple of plays. They definitely have kids on sidelines that are capable of giving these kids a break.
Then what was the issue the first 2 or 3 quarters on Friday? I believe I saw 6 or 7 different defensive linemen. The kids getting struggling up front Friday have been some of the biggest weight room guys and experienced players. My guess is the drop off is pretty big after those 6-7.
It doesn’t matter how much you can bench or how much you spend in the weight room if the effort on the field isn’t there. I saw guys getting blown off the ball by kids 1/2 their size. I’m not trying to call out high school kids, but if I was a leader on this team, and I saw some of the effort being displayed on film, we’d be having some come to Jesus talks. After the Portsmouth game I thought we were just out of shape, but to your point, this was all game long.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Alitown wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:24 pm
It doesn’t matter how much you can bench or how much you spend in the weight room if the effort on the field isn’t there. I saw guys getting blown off the ball by kids 1/2 their size. I’m not trying to call out high school kids, but if I was a leader on this team, and I saw some of the effort being displayed on film, we’d be having some come to Jesus talks. After the Portsmouth game I thought we were just out of shape, but to your point, this was all game long.

You are correct at one point I seen one of valleys lineman get pushed back 20 yards by a player he had close to 70 lbs on

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Angles, steps, leverage and read your key are very critical, this is true for any team. A lot of energy can be burnt using the wrong technique at any position.

Alitown
Freshman Team

Post by Alitown »

Fan of the youth wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:47 pm Angles, steps, leverage and read your key are very critical, this is true for any team. A lot of energy can be burnt using the wrong technique at any position.
The Senior class of defensive linemen were coached for 3 years under Daren Crabtree, and are now be coached by a D1 All-American in Kirk Thompson. I would have to think they have been taught correctly. Daren’s teams were always fundamentally sound, and Kirk learned from some of the best at UC.

Valley91
Waterboy

Post by Valley91 »

Yea they substituted the lineman but there are 6-7 other players out there on the field that are not linemen. So you think they don’t get gassed. Something else I’ve noticed is that 9-10 of the starters play baseball also. Do you honestly think that is a coincidence I think not since same coach for football and baseball. He’s taking care of some of these players that haven’t played football for 3-4 years just so he has them come out for baseball

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Some also play basketball and soccer that he has nothing to do with. Don't start saying stuff that isn't true. Valley is a small school, the best athletes need to play any and all sports. If the same 6-7 athletes play all sports and are the best option for that sport, so be it. He is not taking care of certain kids so they will play baseball. I can think of only one kid that is playing this year, after only taking 1 year off.

Valley91
Waterboy

Post by Valley91 »

transplant wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:57 am Some also play basketball and soccer that he has nothing to do with. Don't start saying stuff that isn't true. Valley is a small school, the best athletes need to play any and all sports. If the same 6-7 athletes play all sports and are the best option for that sport, so be it. He is not taking care of certain kids so they will play baseball. I can think of only one kid that is playing this year, after only taking 1 year off.
But how can someone justify a certain player that started defense all of last year under Darren but doesn’t see the field except for kickoff return.

Baseball_Dad
Riding the Bench

Post by Baseball_Dad »

Valley91 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:44 am

Yea they substituted the lineman but there are 6-7 other players out there on the field that are not linemen. So you think they don’t get gassed. Something else I’ve noticed is that 9-10 of the starters play baseball also. Do you honestly think that is a coincidence I think not since same coach for football and baseball. He’s taking care of some of these players that haven’t played football for 3-4 years just so he has them come out for baseball
My son played multiple sports for coach in previous years. I’ve never known him to do anything but play the best players that give the team the best chance to win. And the kids you’re talking about are without a doubt the best athletes on the field and they already play baseball. I follow baseball pretty closely and don’t see any players he needs to play baseball that doesn’t already play. We get it, you think your kid or relation should play more. I’m sure if he’s ready Coach will play him. My thoughts would be to discuss it with him instead message board tactics.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Exactly. I didn't see any kids on the sidelines that should be playing over the kids on the field.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

I bet if you took your issues to Coach, he would have a legitimate reason why these players are playing and the one you’re talking about isn’t.
You may not know the coach that well. Whatever. But that’s the last thing he would ever do is not play the best players at all times.
We started against 2 teams this season that were better than us. Plain and simple.
We won’t be outcoached by anyone, during the game, or during practices. He is as prepared as anyone to do this job.
It took 2 weeks to hear somebody pull a stunt on this site. And complain. Just remember, Darren caught hell when he was losing too. And it was comical then, and it’s comical now

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

pmow3 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:12 am I bet if you took your issues to Coach, he would have a legitimate reason why these players are playing and the one you’re talking about isn’t.
You may not know the coach that well. Whatever. But that’s the last thing he would ever do is not play the best players at all times.
We started against 2 teams this season that were better than us. Plain and simple.
We won’t be outcoached by anyone, during the game, or during practices. He is as prepared as anyone to do this job.
It took 2 weeks to hear somebody pull a stunt on this site. And complain. Just remember, Darren caught hell when he was losing too. And it was comical then, and it’s comical now
I'm not entirely sure Portsmouth is really better than Valley. Maybe, but it's a toss up at most if you ask me. Portsmouth was better that night, but I'm not sure I'd call them the better team. Valley had every chance to win that game.

But I do agree with everything else you said. Nolan is a good coach and is going to play the best players that put the team in the best position to win. I'm sure the other poster is just another mad parent who can't accept their kids failures in sports but refuse to mention the lack of time/effort put in the offseason to better themselves.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Valley was in both of their first two games and were very capable of winning both of them. I have to think both Portsmouth and Coal Grove both felt they had a hard earned win afterwards. The adjustments will be made and things will improve for VHS. I don't believe their coaching staff isn't playing to win.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

I was wondering how long it was going to take before someone said something like this....It's been 2 games lol. Those 6-7 kids are STUDs in every sport, watch basketball 5 of them start, watch baseball most of them start, etc...thats the most insane argument there is.

Nolan wants the Valley Indians to win more than ANYONE, and he has the staff in place to put the Indians "back on the map" per say..but it will take some time. New system, new scheme, new faces, new facility, somewhat of an overhaul if you will, and it doesnt happen overnight. Like pmow said when Darren was winning, he could do no wrong, when they had tough years, "whats wrong with the staff"..

Valley has some good kids across all grades right now and have some younger playmakers upcoming, the pieces will slowly fall into place.

Only change I'd like to see is them have the LSU uniform look lol.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Coal Grove was able to get a push early in the game at the LOS, then Valley put 5 down linemen on D and CG responded with some nice play action passes. Valley has athletes, but I noticed quite a few penalties, which is to be expected with a new coach and early in the year. Piketon also has had the penalty bug, so hopefully the Streaks can get that shored up. This game should be close, Piketons D must keep playing physical and flying to the football. Lets Go Streaks!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Valley91 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:12 am
transplant wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:57 am Some also play basketball and soccer that he has nothing to do with. Don't start saying stuff that isn't true. Valley is a small school, the best athletes need to play any and all sports. If the same 6-7 athletes play all sports and are the best option for that sport, so be it. He is not taking care of certain kids so they will play baseball. I can think of only one kid that is playing this year, after only taking 1 year off.
But how can someone justify a certain player that started defense all of last year under Darren but doesn’t see the field except for kickoff return.

Who started all year last year that isn't getting on the field this year?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Valley91 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:12 am
Gonna need a name or number.

Return to “Football”