Wellston Coaching Search

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Re: Wellston Coaching Search

Post by Wellston Ironman »

vcgrad wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:41 pm Wow-- I guess Wellston will take anyone. It so sad that there sports programs have been down for the last 10 to 12 years in Wellston-- they have had talent-- but they waste it or it transfers to Jackson or VC. Their School board has been a joke for the same amount of time. worried about a track and new football field. Not what goes on it---------
Precisely why I moved and took my family to Jackson. :D

The BEST thing about people from Wellston is that they have JACKSON on their license plates!
Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

countywide35 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:51 am
hawkeyepierce wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:17 pm Make no mistake, Coach Carper is highly and hands on involved in all aspects of the program. He is young, spirited, enthusiastic, and has a great personality that people gravitate to. He is getting the program moving in the right direction, does it matter what tool he uses? Do you think he cares about what some keyboard warrior may have to say on a forum like this? He will do what he does, and let the results speak for themselves.

As for the Yates hire, I am torn. I consider myself a close personal friend to Nolan and his family, and I believe they consider me the same. I haven't really got a chance to sit down with him and ask him why. Why this job? I have my opinion, but I will wait until I am able to speak with him. I am torn, because, first, it is Wellston. Two, I am not sure of how good of job that is for him. His first stint at Vinton County he was young and learning, plus, as it was mentioned earlier, he played the toughest schedule in his four-year tenure. In all four years, every team on his non-conference schedule made the playoffs (back when you had to earn it) and played against kids that went on to have successful DI and DII college careers. Next, I know Wellston people. I consider many to be my friends, but let's be honest, you people tend to be very clan-ish. You stick to your tribes and constantly in-fight with each other and have no common ground or communal good for each other, unless there is an outside agitator, say like a Jackson or Vinton County, then it is you against the world. However, as soon as that battle is over, you are back to fighting with each other. How could you ever be successful? Lastly, the facilities are not the best. But whatever, it is not my business, and if Nolan wants to have this job, then as a friend all I can say, is good luck, I wish you nothing but the best, and I will be rooting for you, well...with the exception of week 10. :lol:

There is talks that a mirror image of Athens athletic completx is through the design phase to be built at new campus of the schools within the next couple years tagged around the $1mil range. Don’t know how true this is. But that’s my understanding. That could help Yates in gettin some time to build.

As for the VC Wellston Rivarly.
How could this not make it even better ?! Hopefully it’s not a lopsided affair over the years and truly hope it comes down to Week 10 between these two schools for the TVC Crown.
Add all that into week 10. How electric would that be on a Friday night ?!!!! Hope it happens….
Not going to get much for $1mil, especially when you are starting from scratch. Definitely not going to get what Athens has. You might get bleachers like they have, but that would be about it for that price. Nothing else though.

The BEST thing about people from Wellston is that they have JACKSON on their license plates!
vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

There is nothing wrong with their current filed- just fix and add new bleachers. I love the "old time" feel it has on a Friday night. Sorry building a new field wont make your team any better--and the parking will be worse at the new field and wont be fun trying to get out of the parking lot. The board did not think of that!!!!!

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

vcgrad wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:11 pm There is nothing wrong with their current filed- just fix and add new bleachers. I love the "old time" feel it has on a Friday night. Sorry building a new field wont make your team any better--and the parking will be worse at the new field and wont be fun trying to get out of the parking lot. The board did not think of that!!!!!
Agree. Put the million into the existing facility and you'll have a really nice place to play.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

But thats not how the board thinks------so sad could be a great school for sports

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Did he get a teaching job also?

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

anyone know???? He lives in Vinton County at the moment and drives to Pike Eastern

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

vcgrad wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:42 pm anyone know???? He lives in Vinton County at the moment and drives to Pike Eastern
What’s weird is that he said he has lived in VC his entire life (on the show). Yet, he moved to Jackson a few years ago, where his younger two kids played. 🤷‍♂️

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

vcgrad wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:42 pm anyone know???? He lives in Vinton County at the moment and drives to Pike Eastern
Yeah he's had a job and coaching at Pike Eastern since they left VC and enrolled in Jackson.

Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Waterboy

Post by Zaphod_Beeblebrox »

I don't know why people have a problem with Yates Being the head Coach of Wellston. The Guys wanted to redeem himself for years. and why shouldn't he deserve to do so. It was nice to hear him on the Gold Rush admit that in 2006 to 2009 he was just in over his head. that's how you grow as coach. he has worked at Meigs under a very solid coach and spent a lot of summers at Jackson's workouts learning from one of the best coaches in southeastern Ohio. He will be worlds better now than he was in 2009. just experience alone would tell you that much. And not like VC was beating down his door wanting him to help out. so why not get a head coaching job you can get and earn your stripes. I mean it's not like he was coaching at VC under the now coach and quit to go run to Wellston. that would be a harder pill to swallow. Good luck

“Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Zaphod_Beeblebrox wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:06 pm I don't know why people have a problem with Yates Being the head Coach of Wellston. The Guys wanted to redeem himself for years. and why shouldn't he deserve to do so. It was nice to hear him on the Gold Rush admit that in 2006 to 2009 he was just in over his head. that's how you grow as coach. he has worked at Meigs under a very solid coach and spent a lot of summers at Jackson's workouts learning from one of the best coaches in southeastern Ohio. He will be worlds better now than he was in 2009. just experience alone would tell you that much. And not like VC was beating down his door wanting him to help out. so why not get a head coaching job you can get and earn your stripes. I mean it's not like he was coaching at VC under the now coach and quit to go run to Wellston. that would be a harder pill to swallow. Good luck
One of his assistants kind of did. Quit after the season and then took a job with Wellston a few days ago. I think it’s good for the rivalry though. I’m in favor of it. All of it.

The County Resident
Riding the Bench

Post by The County Resident »

Zaphod_Beeblebrox wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:06 pm I don't know why people have a problem with Yates Being the head Coach of Wellston. The Guys wanted to redeem himself for years. and why shouldn't he deserve to do so. It was nice to hear him on the Gold Rush admit that in 2006 to 2009 he was just in over his head. that's how you grow as coach. he has worked at Meigs under a very solid coach and spent a lot of summers at Jackson's workouts learning from one of the best coaches in southeastern Ohio. He will be worlds better now than he was in 2009. just experience alone would tell you that much. And not like VC was beating down his door wanting him to help out. so why not get a head coaching job you can get and earn your stripes. I mean it's not like he was coaching at VC under the now coach and quit to go run to Wellston. that would be a harder pill to swallow. Good luck
I wonder why VC didn’t reach out to Nolan about coaching. Their staff was pretty young last year. He even coached or coached with that entire staff. They all respect him very much. Heard it myself. Which is why he was able to snag VC’s DC from last year.

Nolan is a good coach and even better person. He is the first to tell you about going down to Meigs to coach was one of the best things for him. He’s going to be good at Wellston. Having his two oldest boys helping him coach too will help out a lot. Both of them have multiple years at OU. Even if they had no playing time, the fact they went through those practices and learned those schemes will allow them to spread a lot of knowledge.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Was Coach Yates the DC the past few years at Eastern Pike?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

The County Resident wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:59 pm
I wonder why VC didn’t reach out to Nolan about coaching. Their staff was pretty young last year. He even coached or coached with that entire staff. They all respect him very much. Heard it myself. Which is why he was able to snag VC’s DC from last year.

Nolan is a good coach and even better person. He is the first to tell you about going down to Meigs to coach was one of the best things for him. He’s going to be good at Wellston. Having his two oldest boys helping him coach too will help out a lot. Both of them have multiple years at OU. Even if they had no playing time, the fact they went through those practices and learned those schemes will allow them to spread a lot of knowledge.
This is just an opinion and not fact.. I feel like when Nolan didn’t get the VC job a few years back, he “retaliated” by taking his kids to Jackson. That rubbed people here massively wrong. That was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. Also, to hear him say he is a life long resident of VC isn’t true. He moved to Jackson with the Spires a few years back. Either they moved, or they lied to the OHSAA because there was no penalty of playing time for his son after the move. I just find it all amusing and I LOVE this for the rivalry. The spark is back. Hopefully it’s a week 10 showdown for the conference title. That’d make it even better.

The County Resident
Riding the Bench

Post by The County Resident »

Dundas wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:21 pm

This is just an opinion and not fact.. I feel like when Nolan didn’t get the VC job a few years back, he “retaliated” by taking his kids to Jackson. That rubbed people here massively wrong. That was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. Also, to hear him say he is a life long resident of VC isn’t true. He moved to Jackson with the Spires a few years back. Either they moved, or they lied to the OHSAA because there was no penalty of playing time for his son after the move. I just find it all amusing and I LOVE this for the rivalry. The spark is back. Hopefully it’s a week 10 showdown for the conference title. That’d make it even better.
I feel like you’re trying to speak this showdown into existence!

As for the “retaliation”, he was only looking towards trying to get his son a better chance at playing football at the next level. VC just doesn’t compare to Jackson in that regard… hopefully Coach Carper changes that and halts all these great athletes that have transferred out of VC the last 5-8 years.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

VC wanted nothing to do with Yates helping coach there, not sure where that came from. Eastern Pike and VC actually scrimmaged during his time at Eastern Pike and it ended up in shouting war between Yates and some of the VC coaching staff. Yates supposedly wanted no part of it but the young bucks wanted to keep pushing and a situation escalated some 2-3 years ago after he had just left there.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

The County Resident wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:08 pm

As for the “retaliation”, he was only looking towards trying to get his son a better chance at playing football at the next level. VC just doesn’t compare to Jackson in that regard… hopefully Coach Carper changes that and halts all these great athletes that have transferred out of VC the last 5-8 years.
I’m not sure I’ll have to speak it into existence. Although I am trying to speak Oak Hill or Gallia into the Ohio Division!

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Dundas wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:43 am
The County Resident wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:08 pm

I’m not sure I’ll have to speak it into existence. Although I am trying to speak Oak Hill or Gallia into the Ohio Division!
ALL OF THIS IS WRONG. It did not go down like this. There was a lot of back and forth, that everyone involved (and I know everyone of them, and for the most part are great people), but it wasn't a blanket F/U to anyone by anyone.

Dundas, I sent you a text. If you ask Coach Yates, I am sure that he would love to be on your podcast. If you need his number, call me.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

He never "retaliated" when VC was done with him he tried to land the Wellston Job also while trying to get a job with Jackson to coach. Wellston wouldn't come up to what he wanted and Jackson ended up hiring another coach so he took them to Jackson to play. Simple as that if VC didn't want him he had no reason to be at VC while allowing his kids to go there. Had he got the Wellston job back then the kids would've been at Wellston much earlier, instead he didn't so they went to Jackson and he landed a teaching job at Eastern Pike and helped coach there the 1st year and was hired to the staff full time the year after.

Calvin
Freshman Team

Post by Calvin »

greygoose wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:08 pm

He never "retaliated" when VC was done with him he tried to land the Wellston Job also while trying to get a job with Jackson to coach. Wellston wouldn't come up to what he wanted and Jackson ended up hiring another coach so he took them to Jackson to play. Simple as that if VC didn't want him he had no reason to be at VC while allowing his kids to go there. Had he got the Wellston job back then the kids would've been at Wellston much earlier, instead he didn't so they went to Jackson and he landed a teaching job at Eastern Pike and helped coach there the 1st year and was hired to the staff full time the year after.
Yea but that's no fun to talk about on here. :lol:

Celebrating wins over the most hated.

Return to “Football”