Head Coaches or not?

3rd String
Freshman Team

Head Coaches or not?

Post by 3rd String »

In high school football we are seeing more and more head coaches hiring Offensive and defensive coordinators. What then is the role of the head coach? Maybe it is just me. But if it is my butt on the line. I am going to be in charge of something. Maybe its personnel, but then what if the OC wants to run a certain play, and the personnel is wrong? Not stirring any pots, or calling out a team, I am just curious as to the role of the head coach with an OC and a DC. No need to mention any teams, just some opinions

madpolecat
All State

Re: Head Coaches or not?

Post by madpolecat »

One of my coaching colleagues told me that once he turned over playcalling to an OC, he felt that he did a lot better job of seeing the "forest rather than the trees," so to speak. He could pay more attention to all aspects of the game... clock management, personnel, dealing with refs, special teams, both sides of the ball...

My last two spots, the HC game me almost free reign. Both HC's trusted me and it was a really good working situation. Doesn't mean we always agreed, but there was trust.

That being said, I don't know any HC who doesn't wield VETO power if the situation calls for it.

3rd String
Freshman Team

Post by 3rd String »

madpolecat wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:31 pm One of my coaching colleagues told me that once he turned over playcalling to an OC, he felt that he did a lot better job of seeing the "forest rather than the trees," so to speak. He could pay more attention to all aspects of the game... clock management, personnel, dealing with refs, special teams, both sides of the ball...

My last two spots, the HC game me almost free reign. Both HC's trusted me and it was a really good working situation. Doesn't mean we always agreed, but there was trust.

That being said, I don't know any HC who doesn't wield VETO power if the situation calls for it.
Ok, I get that . being able to see the whole game rather than just one side, Still giving input on both sides of the ball. makes sense. I guess I would just have control issues. With or without trust. No one person would call a game exactly as you would. and in a close loss. one would be tempted to say I would have called this or that with trust or not, could cause some issues. I guess in my opinion the HC needs to pick a side of the ball, and control that aspect. with the same trust that the OC or DC opposite of you will get the job done. Just my opinion. And still maintain the veto to power to control all aspects if they wish. But i do agree with seeing the forest for the trees.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

3rd String wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:59 pm
madpolecat wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:31 pm One of my coaching colleagues told me that once he turned over playcalling to an OC, he felt that he did a lot better job of seeing the "forest rather than the trees," so to speak. He could pay more attention to all aspects of the game... clock management, personnel, dealing with refs, special teams, both sides of the ball...

Ok, I get that . being able to see the whole game rather than just one side, Still giving input on both sides of the ball. makes sense. I guess I would just have control issues. With or without trust. No one person would call a game exactly as you would. and in a close loss. one would be tempted to say I would have called this or that with trust or not, could cause some issues. I guess in my opinion the HC needs to pick a side of the ball, and control that aspect. with the same trust that the OC or DC opposite of you will get the job done. Just my opinion. And still maintain the veto to power to control all aspects if they wish. But i do agree with seeing the forest for the trees.
9 out of ten times a head coach is communicating with his offensive and defensive coaches about play calls. If a head coach doesn't like a play they can change it at any time.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Edmond Dantes
Riding the Bench

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Your quality control can only be stretched so many ways….the more time you spend as a play caller, the less time you spend on the rest of the operation. At some point, you need to analyze what you’re getting vs what you’re giving up.

It can still be your scheme, your flavor….

Return to “Football”