GALLIA ACADEMY @ POINT PLEASANT Battle of the Bridge

Geronimo
SEOP

Re: GALLIA ACADEMY @ POINT PLEASANT Battle of the Bridge

Post by Geronimo »

Good assistant coaches makes a good head coach also ???

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Hold on you lose the turnover battle by 3. You have 16 penalties accepted against you. Your only out gained by 40 yards. But you lost the game so to poor coaching and no adjustments?

No wonder when I am in the stands at home games all the know it all’s drive me nuts.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Don’t get me wrong would I of liked to see us try a few different things on defense yes. But just because I disagree with a coaches decision does not make the coaching decisions suck.

I was way more upset with the lack of poise of the players and their actions then the play calling. Not a great night to be a blue devil. You just pick yourself up and work to get better

MR305
Freshman Team

Post by MR305 »

svac83 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:04 pm Hold on you lose the turnover battle by 3. You have 16 penalties accepted against you. Your only out gained by 40 yards. But you lost the game so to poor coaching and no adjustments?

No wonder when I am in the stands at home games all the know it all’s drive me nuts.
Absolutely. No adjustments and idiot can see that. Even with the bullcrap penalties we still should have beaten a bad Point Pleasant team. This loss was on the coaches. Defensive and offensive play calling sucked.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

MR305 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:22 pm
svac83 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:04 pm Hold on you lose the turnover battle by 3. You have 16 penalties accepted against you. Your only out gained by 40 yards. But you lost the game so to poor coaching and no adjustments?

Absolutely. No adjustments and idiot can see that. Even with the bullcrap penalties we still should have beaten a bad Point Pleasant team. This loss was on the coaches. Defensive and offensive play calling sucked.
we will just have to agree to disagree. Different coaching decisions might of made a difference. Not turning the ball over and not having 16 penalties would of made a difference.

Team just needs to work hard and get better everywhere.

MR305
Freshman Team

Post by MR305 »

svac83 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:54 pm

we will just have to agree to disagree. Different coaching decisions might of made a difference. Not turning the ball over and not having 16 penalties would of made a difference.

I totally agree with you on the turnovers and penalties. Some “adjustments” made with the play calling could have minimized the penalties and turnovers. My frustration is our coaches can not see or maybe they don’t know how to address the obvious issues during the game. I have no doubt this is also why our numbers are so low.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

Maybe it's a combination of a lot of things mentioned. Our players are young and inexperienced, they are learning on the fly. Some mistakes can be over come and more serious ones cannot. We had a turnover in the assistant coaches the last couple of years. Look at our first 2 games, we beat meigs because they couldn't convert their extra points, Athens had covid issues and the starting QB didn't play. Not impressive wins in my opinion. And our low numbers do not help...

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

MR305 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:12 pm
svac83 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:54 pm

I totally agree with you on the turnovers and penalties. Some “adjustments” made with the play calling could have minimized the penalties and turnovers. My frustration is our coaches can not see or maybe they don’t know how to address the obvious issues during the game. I have no doubt this is also why our numbers are so low.
Look i am not close to this team. But i have been in the coaches press box and on sideline. with some of these coaches. Adjustments are called for players are talked to but sometimes the change just doesn't happen. Sometimes it doesn't happen because you just have one kid in there that is playing a position he is not comfortable with and he barely understands his base assignment let alone the change. so you call for the adjustment the kid doesn't know what to do. and you get gashed even more then you are out of your base defense. When your in practice and you practice all week when a team goes in to this formation we are going into this defensive set. or we are going to run this stunt or put another man in the box. But you have someone or players that when the game starts just doesn't do it or becomes unaware. so you bring them to the sideline and you tell them again and they still don't make the adjustment. you go and put in his backup and he gets ran over.

Same thing on offense a coach wants to call a sweep or a pitch play but the tackle cant handle their defensive assignment even for a two count he isn't going to be able to hold it the additional time for a play to go wide. i walk out of the press box or leave the field and i hear the same type of comments that i am hearing now hear on this thread. The coaches were as frustrated as the fans in the stands. And the fans thought the coaches did not know what they were doing.

Now most of the coaches on this staff i do not not know and have not been on sidelines or in press box with. They only two i have experience with is coach Penrod and coach Mac. I think these guys are very good coaches and know how to make adjustments. in 2012 they made the adjustments at Athens that allowed them to hand joe borrow his only regular season loss as a high school player and they made the adjustments in 2018 to turn the ironton game around. and lead to a league championship.

Do they not have the other coaches around them now? maybe ? i don't know the other coaches. I don't know the players are they spending the time on huddle doing the film study they are supposed to be doing? Are they learning the set breakdowns and the keys that are pointed out to them in film study. I am not sure what the problems are.

So i am confused that a head coach that increased numbers in 2017 and 2018 and had the biggest group of kids in 2019 since soccer was added is now the reason we have low numbers?

I like coach Penrod I like coach Mac. I think they are both very good coaches and good teachers of the game and about life and kids learn how to be responsible. Could we find a better x's and o's coach maybe. Could another coach get better on the field results then what we have gotten maybe. Could we get a set of coaches more involved in what goes on in the community and teaching teenagers to become young men i doubt it.

If that means we lose a game or so here or there that another coach could of won i am fine with it.

No problems with people disagreeing with play calling or not like our offense or defense that is what fans do especially at gallia academy. But talking about the coaches like they have no clue i disagree with mainly because i just don't think it is true. Do coaches and even coaches i admire like coach penrod and Mac make bonehead decisions yep they sure do.

anyway i am on to thinking about next week.

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

Ridiculous lack of discipline

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

Just heard the cheesepeak game was cancelled. Did anyone else hear that

MR305
Freshman Team

Post by MR305 »

superblue wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:29 pm Just heard the cheesepeak game was cancelled. Did anyone else hear that
That’s correct. We will be looking for a game as of tomorrow.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

Thanks for the confirmation MR305... Hate to see this happening. Hats off to cheesepeak for letting us know early in the week, hopefully we can find another game.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

No game Friday as stated. Not looking for another game, with low numbers and multiple injuries from last week “our kids need time to heal”. Things do change but that was the official message from our AD.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

It’s easy to call plays in hindsight. I’m guessing these coaches know the capabilities of these players. I do think against a power running team we would benefit from a 50 base defense. It’s much easier to contain the edge with a true end and still have manpower inside to make plays, especially after losing our only experienced linebacker. We did however make adjustments defensively otherwise Point would have continued their success offensively. Last 7 minutes of the second qtr was Point domination, after that it did get better.

I do agree with insufficient coaching from a discipline standpoint. Last year was ridiculous with the silly penalties and Friday night it was an issue again. You don’t win any game with your mouth, especially after the officials have your number. The coaching concern comes from not addressing those issues. Most times with young people a little embarrassment goes a long way. Sounds harsh in our sensitive society but calling out a player from the sidelines usually only takes one time. As far as the holds and other penalties.....water under the bridge but we did have one holding call made before the center released the snap and another 5 yards behind the play in everyone’s eyesight that our lineman was simply standing in the way of the Pt defender, not engaged in contact at all.

Gotta get better and IMO the kids need to get together after practice and get in shape because we aren’t and it’s week 4. Biggest kid on the team plays nearly every play in a very strenuous position but no cramps. He’s simply in better shape.

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

Gallia fans, how are your numbers looking for the Portsmouth game next week? Seen you guys were dealing with low numbers to start plus some injuries

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

WOW. Is this the end of football at Gallia academy. This is possibly the best weekend we have had for high school football and we are not even trying to play a game.. I can understand the injury situation, not being in shape can lead to the injury problem. You can't get in shape by staying after practice and working out, especially after week 3 of the season.. players should be getting in shape doing the summer and not waiting till the season starts... This is unbelievable!!!!!, Just cancel the whole season....

MR305
Freshman Team

Post by MR305 »

superblue wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:47 pm WOW. Is this the end of football at Gallia academy. This is possibly the best weekend we have had for high school football and we are not even trying to play a game.. I can understand the injury situation, not being in shape can lead to the injury problem. You can't get in shape by staying after practice and working out, especially after week 3 of the season.. players should be getting in shape doing the summer and not waiting till the season starts... This is unbelievable!!!!!, Just cancel the whole season....
There are some players I know for a fact that workout on a year round basis along with taking Magnesium/Potassium tablets, drinking Pedialyte and taking Epsom salt baths. Just because these players are cramping up doesn’t mean they are out of shape.

I have to agree with you when you ask the question, is this the end of Gallia Academy football? I have wondered the exact thing. This is one of the better Sophomore/Junior classes in a long time and they have to deal with the “inadequacies” at Gallia Academy. I guess on to next year already.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

305, I didn't explain myself very well, cramping is more of a weather related issue, high temperature and humidity and playing on turf probably caused the cramping and had nothing to do with being out of shape. I was talking more about the players who are injured and can't play. Do we have serious injuries or do we just want to give them extra time to heal up?

MR305
Freshman Team

Post by MR305 »

JChipwood wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:03 pm It’s easy to call plays in hindsight. I’m guessing these coaches know the capabilities of these players. I do think against a power running team we would benefit from a 50 base defense. It’s much easier to contain the edge with a true end and still have manpower inside to make plays, especially after losing our only experienced linebacker. We did however make adjustments defensively otherwise Point would have continued their success offensively. Last 7 minutes of the second qtr was Point domination, after that it did get better.

I do agree with insufficient coaching from a discipline standpoint. Last year was ridiculous with the silly penalties and Friday night it was an issue again. You don’t win any game with your mouth, especially after the officials have your number. The coaching concern comes from not addressing those issues. Most times with young people a little embarrassment goes a long way. Sounds harsh in our sensitive society but calling out a player from the sidelines usually only takes one time. As far as the holds and other penalties.....water under the bridge but we did have one holding call made before the center released the snap and another 5 yards behind the play in everyone’s eyesight that our lineman was simply standing in the way of the Pt defender, not engaged in contact at all.

Gotta get better and IMO the kids need to get together after practice and get in shape because we aren’t and it’s week 4. Biggest kid on the team plays nearly every play in a very strenuous position but no cramps. He’s simply in better shape.
All good SuperBlue. I understand you. Actually referring to this last paragraph. More than just a few kids have to buy in on the lifting and conditioning also. That’s where the coaches come into play.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

Your spot on 305, you can't just show up after fair week and try to get in football shape. Your better players will work out everyday, I am not saying they have to kill themselves, lift weights, exercise, run, play some basketball or touch football, do something, just don't sit around... After football season, play basketball or wrestling, spring time play baseball or run track, anything to stay in shape... Football takes year round dedication.

Return to “Football”