Ironton, Trimble, Waverly, Wheelersburg, Jackson on another level

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Ironton, Trimble, Waverly, Wheelersburg, Jackson on another level

Post by Ironman92 »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:25 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:06 pm
oldschoolqb13 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:47 am Guys, kids transferring schools is only going to become more prevalent in the future...even at schools our size (with kids who may benefit, but most who won’t). Big money in the NFL has made college kids rush to get there. Now, with the IL money to be made in college, high-school kids will be in even more of a rush to get there. The tragedy is most kids who set out on this transfer journey will probably not benefit. It’s almost always “a grass is greener” dream that never materializes, because turns out, old coach really didn’t have a vendetta against me. I’ve just been told things, more often than not at home, that aren’t reality. And then they end up missing out on the one thing that truly matters...playing a great game with your buddies under the lights in front of the people who watched you grow up. No matter how far up the ladder you make it in the game, it never gets better than that.
I wish you would post more
Thanks I-92…always enjoy your posts as well. It seems as if there’s less of the reasonable, listen to both sides crowd as there used to be. I’ll try to get back in the mix a bit more. I’m sure your Ironmen will be foaming at the mouth…Lord be with next week’s opponent!
Well Licking Valley won’t be afraid of anything. We’ve got to play well and finish.

Ed Gennero
JV Team

Post by Ed Gennero »

3 good programs but there is other good teams in SEO. Trimble , Waverly and Portsmouth

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Post by Chilli_Dawg_614 »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:47 am Guys, kids transferring schools is only going to become more prevalent in the future...even at schools our size (with kids who may benefit, but most who won’t). Big money in the NFL has made college kids rush to get there. Now, with the IL money to be made in college, high-school kids will be in even more of a rush to get there. The tragedy is most kids who set out on this transfer journey will probably not benefit. It’s almost always “a grass is greener” dream that never materializes, because turns out, old coach really didn’t have a vendetta against me. I’ve just been told things, more often than not at home, that aren’t reality. And then they end up missing out on the one thing that truly matters...playing a great game with your buddies under the lights in front of the people who watched you grow up. No matter how far up the ladder you make it in the game, it never gets better than that.
To make this claim valid you would have to have personal knowledge of how it feels at all levels including the top of the ladder. Without that, its speculation.

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

You would also need current modern perspective and not just from your area. Broad strokes here that assume an awful lot.

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Almost 90% of high school athletes are underrecruited.
Also, transfers generally speaking are way more nuanced than the manner it is being discussed here. There has been zero real life context applied to each individual situation. The only premise has been per "on the field." The real life context has been disregarded. So it isn't really an honest conversation. Too many absolutes. Too many assumptions. Seems like there is a little more emotion involved instead of practical sense.
Also, compared to 10, 15 yrs ago, there are more single parent homes. More kids moving in w alternative guardians. The variables are endless. And so are the reasons.
I would think this topic is kind of pointless if it's not going go be discussed honestly and in full context. Right now it's only being used as a gaslighting technique instead of a good talking point.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Good post, only problem with the logic and everyone who's older can agree to this. When you're a kid you're only looking at this moment, it's not until years down the road you look back with true 20/20 vision. They've only got 4 years to achieve what they're looking for and whatever route they decide to take is entirely on them in the end the truth on whether they were right or wrong to go that route always plays out

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

I think observation is as powerful tool as any...open your eyes and watch what’s happening. Of course every situation is different and not all situations are created equally. It is asinine to assume otherwise. If you don’t think unrealistic expectations are a major cause of this phenomenon you aren’t as woke as you think.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

And those unrealistic expectations are almost always created by a parent who doesn’t know sh#t. Let your kid go through a little adversity. It’s called life.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Just simply not how it works anymore, so many on this website see the change that is going on but fight and question that change. It's not a matter of what you believe is being said or is going on it's simply a matter of accepting it. You can't fault expectations, you call them unrealistic to the athlete/parent/coach it's the standard they hope to achieve. At what point did it become ok to lower the bar for expectations?? I thought the basis for most is strive to be the best, not to say it's ok to be mediocre if things fail or are hard, isn't that where the adversity comes into play? If you never set the bar high one might never see failure or the joys of success, if they don't face adversity and everything is viewed in rose colored glass perspective. You don't tell a C student it's ok to be a C student.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

greygoose wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:21 pm Just simply not how it works anymore, so many on this website see the change that is going on but fight and question that change. It's not a matter of what you believe is being said or is going on it's simply a matter of accepting it. You can't fault expectations, you call them unrealistic to the athlete/parent/coach it's the standard they hope to achieve. At what point did it become ok to lower the bar for expectations?? I thought the basis for most is strive to be the best, not to say it's ok to be mediocre if things fail or are hard, isn't that where the adversity comes into play? If you never set the bar high one might never see failure or the joys of success, if they don't face adversity and everything is viewed in rose colored glass perspective. You don't tell a C student it's ok to be a C student.
[/

I hear what you’re saying, but do you think going to a different school is really the answer in most cases?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

greygoose wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:21 pm Just simply not how it works anymore, so many on this website see the change that is going on but fight and question that change. It's not a matter of what you believe is being said or is going on it's simply a matter of accepting it. You can't fault expectations, you call them unrealistic to the athlete/parent/coach it's the standard they hope to achieve. At what point did it become ok to lower the bar for expectations?? I thought the basis for most is strive to be the best, not to say it's ok to be mediocre if things fail or are hard, isn't that where the adversity comes into play? If you never set the bar high one might never see failure or the joys of success, if they don't face adversity and everything is viewed in rose colored glass perspective. You don't tell a C student it's ok to be a C student.
[/

I hear what you’re saying, but do you think going to a different school is really the answer in most cases?
That's kind of the point I've always mentioned when discussing transfers, it's not my place or anyone else's place to decide or judge on. They're kids for a brief window they get to play but a brief time who are we to decide whether or not they should or shouldn't transfer? I mean if you look at all the post on ppl discussing this just look how much better off it'd be if we only accepted their decision and not openly scorned it like they were criminals for doing so. The only bashing coming from Burg and Ironton game would be game talk instead of 10 pgs of people discussing transfers. Discuss the games and opinions on those why is there a need to critique the wrongs or rights of someone else's decision? Because in the end if you're judging someone else's decision on how they should do things the only person in the wrong is the one doing the judging.

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

wobycat wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:10 am
BIGDADDYFRMCINNATI wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:02 am
SEO FOOTBALL wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:00 am all 5 stars of SEO Football

Kudos to Waverly and Trimble the most though. All home grown talent lol (no transfers)
With one of the state's highest CB numbers in all divisions, Wheelersburg should just label itself as a private academy.
Already been discussed. At length as to why burgs can numbers are high. I’ll remind everyone again. Quite a few live in other school districts but live in the Wheelersburg zip code. What you and others should know is 99% of their players started at burg in kindergarten. It’s been like that for a long time.

However, thank goodness for valley transfers, eh!

Lol.
If these kids who live in other districts, started at Burg in kindergarten, and Burg has best of the best in staff, shouldn’t Burg be awesome? why do transfers who have been at ironton for less than a year do better than these kids?

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Paulcrew wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:04 pm

With one of the state's highest CB numbers in all divisions, Wheelersburg should just label itself as a private academy.
Already been discussed. At length as to why burgs can numbers are high. I’ll remind everyone again. Quite a few live in other school districts but live in the Wheelersburg zip code. What you and others should know is 99% of their players started at burg in kindergarten. It’s been like that for a long time.

Lol.
If these kids who live in other districts, started at Burg in kindergarten, and Burg has best of the best in staff, shouldn’t Burg be awesome? why do transfers who have been at ironton for less than a year do better than these kids?
The difference I see in the two programs is ironton has a renewed sense of pride and the weight room program sets them apart from most area schools . They do have better athletes than wheelersburg but they also put the work all year because it’s important to them. They can simply bully most d5 teams in Ohio. Jackson being a stout hard nosed d3 program went toe to toe with ironton but most teams simply can’t go the full 10 rounds without being KOd.

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

Remove Trimble and Wheelersburg from this list and yes.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Runner00 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:41 pm Remove Trimble and Wheelersburg from this list and yes.
Remove Wheelersburg? They are the only team on this list to win a state title this century. Ironton is the only other school on this list to have any football state titles.

Having a top five all-time winning percentage (all Ohio schools) also puts them on this list.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Paulcrew wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:04 pm

Lol.
Burg is a great program. But when you get kids that started at their previous high school and probably could start anywhere in the area, you make your team better. Any team in the area would benefit. I seriously doubt anyone can tell if a kid is a football player in kindergarten.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

I'm afraid Wheelersburg is in a Decade Of Despair. I proclaimed this back in July

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

kantucky wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:58 pm I'm afraid Wheelersburg is in a Decade Of Despair. I proclaimed this back in July

“Decade of Despair”? They won a state title in 2017! Last year was their first SOC loss in nearly a decade. And despite their current youth, they still have a shot at the SOC in 2021.

Now will they win another state title anytime soon? Doubtful. But as long as Kirtland remains D5, no D5 team in southeastern Ohio is winning a state title.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

Hey, I didn't make that declaration lightly. I see the program taking a downward spiral, badly! Now, whether it will be a whole decade or not? I cannot say? Ironton's JV just wore them out...the 7th did as well. There is a bright spot in Burg's 8th grade though.

2017 is four years ago..not the future

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:16 pm
Runner00 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:41 pm Remove Trimble and Wheelersburg from this list and yes.
Remove Wheelersburg? They are the only team on this list to win a state title this century. Ironton is the only other school on this list to have any football state titles.

Having a top five all-time winning percentage (all Ohio schools) also puts them on this list.
This year dingus

Return to “Football”