2021 LOGAN CHIEFTAINS FOOTBALL

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: 2021 LOGAN CHIEFTAINS FOOTBALL

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Another question, C-bolt? Did any of these guys play at the NY Scrimmage, or possibly got injured then?

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I have no idea. Locos might know.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

loganlocos wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:27 pm Logan was effectively down 8 starters - Hodson got hurt on the third play.

So Sturgell (QB/FS), Poling (HB/LB), Castle (SE/CB), and Hodson (G/DE) all would have been expcted to start.

Lot's of young kids got some time. One freshman is playing full time with the Varsity and one more saw significant minutes (although I think he may have gotten hurt as well.)

Still a long way to go. Good scrimmage. It starts to count next Thursday.
Wow! Hope they are back by next Thursday. Chiefs can't catch a break. That's a huge injury list way too early.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:31 pm Another question, C-bolt? Did any of these guys play at the NY Scrimmage, or possibly got injured then?
Everyone played against N-Y. Sturgell, Poling, and Castle were in shorts from the start last night.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

loganlocos wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:06 pm
TRENCHFOOT wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:31 pm Another question, C-bolt? Did any of these guys play at the NY Scrimmage, or possibly got injured then?
Everyone played against N-Y. Sturgell, Poling, and Castle were in shorts from the start last night.
Not good to hear. Keep me posted Locos if they will play next week. Hope it's nothing serious with any of them. Was the knee injury last night a bad one?

MarauderMadness
JV Team

Post by MarauderMadness »

Paladin wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:36 pm
MarauderMadness wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:40 pm
svac83 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:50 pm What i would say is if you consider the Wing T just a formation you are right you cant run anything out of it. But if you talk and read a lot of spread offenses if you read and research them they were created out of the wing T. I think of the wing T as more of a blocking philosophy more then the formation that look behind it. But when gallia academy ran the wing T the last year we ran a ton of what they called double aces. which is basically a 4 wide set.
If you're going to apply that logic then you could say the same for pretty much any offense. I mean, isn't a 5 wide formation just the I with the FB and TB spread out? Or the split back veer with both HB's split out? No, they are not the same. Some folks will say, "well we run the same blocking schemes..." Well they are the same blocking schemes every offense runs: down blocks, double team, dub and rub, traps etc... If you run FB trap, buck sweep, play action pass such as waggle, etc... then to me you're running the Wing t. But if you're running quick passing game, QB draws, and RPO's that's not the Wing t no matter if Dave Nelson even Tubby Raymond himself claims it is. :lol:
Tubby was the master of Wing T football at Delaware. Wing T, double wings,slot and double slots, etc. Much of blocking schemes fit most Os. Most of the college game today eliminated rule blocking to go to zone schemes. The run game becomes 4or5 base plays and a sophisticated pass game with passing trees, QB run/pass options and limited play action. That’s not the case with most of h.s. Ball.
Passing trees are becoming as antiquated as the wing t is. Yes, teams still use them but there are many who have moved past them. Zone blocking became popular due to all he stunting and movement the defenses were starting to employ. With today's modern defenses the rule blocking system is also antiquated.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

MarauderMadness wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:10 am
MarauderMadness wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:40 pm

If you're going to apply that logic then you could say the same for pretty much any offense. I mean, isn't a 5 wide formation just the I with the FB and TB spread out? Or the split back veer with both HB's split out? No, they are not the same. Some folks will say, "well we run the same blocking schemes..." Well they are the same blocking schemes every offense runs: down blocks, double team, dub and rub, traps etc... If you run FB trap, buck sweep, play action pass such as waggle, etc... then to me you're running the Wing t. But if you're running quick passing game, QB draws, and RPO's that's not the Wing t no matter if Dave Nelson even Tubby Raymond himself claims it is. :lol:
Tubby was the master of Wing T football at Delaware. Wing T, double wings,slot and double slots, etc. Much of blocking schemes fit most Os. Most of the college game today eliminated rule blocking to go to zone schemes. The run game becomes 4or5 base plays and a sophisticated pass game with passing trees, QB run/pass options and limited play action. That’s not the case with most of h.s. Ball.
Passing trees are becoming as antiquated as the wing t is. Yes, teams still use them but there are many who have moved past them. Zone blocking became popular due to all he stunting and movement the defenses were starting to employ. With today's modern defenses the rule blocking system is also antiquated.

Agree. We started using zone blocking back in the early 70s in h.s. before even the colleges went to it. Ditto passing trees dropped . Play action was a definite route but rollouts were an option ( inside pattern, outside pattern) depending on play of DB.

What Logan does with a Wing T this year will show if they have a smart coach or not.

Have gun, will travel
MarauderMadness
JV Team

Post by MarauderMadness »

Paladin wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:09 am
MarauderMadness wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:10 am

Agree. We started using zone blocking back in the early 70s in h.s. before even the colleges went to it. Ditto passing trees dropped . Play action was a definite route but rollouts were an option ( inside pattern, outside pattern) depending on play of DB.

What Logan does with a Wing T this year will show if they have a smart coach or not.
Agreed.

Return to “Football”