Kirtland vs Garaway

Kirtland80
All State

Re: Kirtland vs Garaway

Post by Kirtland80 »

scott1297 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:48 pm
Prime Time wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:35 pm Kirkland will be the Div 5 State Champs if virus doesn’t stop the rest of season. Ridgewood I look to be in the finals , the two Southern Ohio teams in Div 5 the Tigers and Tomcats not quite up to Kirkland or Ridgewood. The numbers is rising at alarming pace in Ohio and , Wear Mask, social distance, wash hands, wear shields, and think of other people.
If Ridgewood gets past the Burg then Ironton will Beat Ridgewood by atleast 2 to 3 touchdowns. I look for rematch of last years final
I look for a rematch also and I hope so. I think that would be the best matchup in D5 for the state final. Just don’t doubt us if so. There was posts on last years thread that we were cupcakes and we’d be an easier win than who they played in the semi’s because we were D6 previously. Not sure if that guy has ever kept up with any football outside of his area but 147-7 over a 10 year span is far from cupcakes. Good luck this week

6O HORN3TS 🐝
Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Kirtland80 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:56 pm
Rolltanks wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:57 am Running clock Kirtland

What year is your qb
Senior QB
If I was making a team of the best players in the state all divisions that kid would be my qb

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

Rolltanks wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:28 am
Rolltanks wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:57 am Running clock Kirtland

What year is your qb
Senior QB
If I was making a team of the best players in the state all divisions that kid would be my qb
Liam Powers. He is pretty good. The real danger is he is as versatile as he is accurate and makes literally zero mistakes. There’s been numerous games he’s rushed for triple digits and multiple scores

6O HORN3TS 🐝
Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Kirtland80 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:29 am

Senior QB
Liam Powers. He is pretty good. The real danger is he is as versatile as he is accurate and makes literally zero mistakes. There’s been numerous games he’s rushed for triple digits and multiple scores
I have seen all kinds of great qbs in high school and guys will tell you that you want a guy that can’t do this or has that. The number one thing I want in a qb over anything else is I want a winner at qb. That kid is a winner. Also helps that he can do everything but he really impressed me in the games I’ve seen

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

Rolltanks wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:08 am
I have seen all kinds of great qbs in high school and guys will tell you that you want a guy that can’t do this or has that. The number one thing I want in a qb over anything else is I want a winner at qb. That kid is a winner. Also helps that he can do everything but he really impressed me in the games I’ve seen
Another thing I think makes a difference is every team from pee wee on up runs LaVerde’s offense and defense. Every single one. You got kids that have played together since a child playing the same offense and defense for years before they get to the varsity level. It’s pretty much second nature at that point, you’ve ran it a thousand times before and everyone knows their part and it’s simple. There is literally like 6 plays on offense but a few variations of each. No one is trying to do too much that way. They never did that before he became coach and we had never won a playoff game until he became coach. His coaching is second to none. He had 100 wins in 2013. This is only 2020 and he hit 201 last week. Since 2010 98-2 regular season, 49-5 in playoffs, 147-7 combined
Last edited by Kirtland80 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

6O HORN3TS 🐝
Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Kirtland80 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:42 am

Another thing I think makes a difference is every team from pee wee on up runs LaVerde’s offense and defense. Every single one. You got kids that have played together since a child playing the same offense and defense for years before they get to the varsity level. It’s pretty much second nature at that point, you’ve ran it a thousand times before and everyone knows their part and it’s simple. There is literally like 6 plays on offense but a few variations of each. No one is trying to do too much that way
Very similar to my days going up in Delphos same situation as far as the youth program

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

Rolltanks wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:53 am
Kirtland80 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:42 am
Another thing I think makes a difference is every team from pee wee on up runs LaVerde’s offense and defense. Every single one. You got kids that have played together since a child playing the same offense and defense for years before they get to the varsity level. It’s pretty much second nature at that point, you’ve ran it a thousand times before and everyone knows their part and it’s simple. There is literally like 6 plays on offense but a few variations of each. No one is trying to do too much that way
Very similar to my days going up in Delphos same situation as far as the youth program
I figured those MAC teams did something similar

6O HORN3TS 🐝
Amicis_Addict
Waterboy

Post by Amicis_Addict »

Watched Garaway play Wood this year. I think Garaway is just good. Wood is really good and they absolutely dominated them. Kirtland is probably better yet. I just don’t see this one not being a running clock in the 3rd quarter. I’ll take Kirtland 55-14 as they continue on their crash course with ironton/wood in Canton

Wood Grad ‘12
Keep the Wood Train a rollin’
SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

Kirtland is so well coached. Play disciplined football & they always limit mistakes. Big in big games.

Hornets roll on.

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

Amicis_Addict wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:24 am Watched Garaway play Wood this year. I think Garaway is just good. Wood is really good and they absolutely dominated them. Kirtland is probably better yet. I just don’t see this one not being a running clock in the 3rd quarter. I’ll take Kirtland 55-14 as they continue on their crash course with ironton/wood in Canton
Yes Wood dominated them 39-0. We usually have a surprise team give us a game every year in the region. Last year it was Sandy Valley. We were leading 25-24 going into the 4th. The year before that it was Modadore with us leading 7-0 going into the 4th. I figure we will get challenged either this week or next week for this region

6O HORN3TS 🐝
Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

SpeedKillz wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:53 pm Kirtland is so well coached. Play disciplined football & they always limit mistakes. Big in big games.

Hornets roll on.
Yeah Tiger is amazing! He always has us ready to go and we never beat ourselves. The offense he runs is really simple yet so effective. I agree we win yet I’m not sure on the running clock that was mentioned earlier. We usually get a game from someone in this region

6O HORN3TS 🐝
Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

GoBigI wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:33 am Kirtland 44
Garaway 6
Nice call. One point off

6O HORN3TS 🐝
SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

Beware St Bernard Roger Bacon. Two legit D1 prospects and a rb committed to LSU ( Kiner)..

Big and athletic enough to be a fly in the ointment.

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

SpeedKillz wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:12 am Beware St Bernard Roger Bacon. Two legit D1 prospects and a rb committed to LSU ( Kiner)..

I personally don’t think Bacon has what it takes. They are lucky one those 4 fumbles or the muffed recovery on the onside kick didn’t go to Versailles or they would have lost that game. Somehow they managed to recover all 4 of the fumbles Versailles caused plus the muffed recovery. Kiner had 22 carries for 208 yards but 80 of those were on a big run right off the get go. After that he only gained 128 yards the rest of the game but then again it was vs a MAC team and they always play hard but they were a middle tier team

6O HORN3TS 🐝
SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

Kirtland80 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:35 pm
SpeedKillz wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:12 am Beware St Bernard Roger Bacon. Two legit D1 prospects and a rb committed to LSU ( Kiner)..

I personally don’t think Bacon has what it takes. They are lucky one those 4 fumbles or the muffed recovery on the onside kick didn’t go to Versailles or they would have lost that game. Somehow they managed to recover all 4 of the fumbles Versailles caused plus the muffed recovery. Kiner had 22 carries for 208 yards but 80 of those were on a big run right off the get go. After that he only gained 128 yards the rest of the game but then again it was vs a MAC team and they always play hard but they were a middle tier team
Well, even the best get a little luck. I think you made a good point. Any team w the ability to change the game on one play ( Kiner 80 yards) at this level, is dangerous in the late rounds as the pressure gets more intense & kids get a lil tighter than normal. RB has the ability to test &/or beat anyone remaining. Athletic, good size kids, some next level talent at a couple key positions, ability to control the edge & they can make plays. Kiner is fast fast, but he also runs hard. He is explosive, strong, w a low center gravity. It will take solid team defense and sound tackling to keep him from breaking one against anyone. I think ya gotta respect em.

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

SpeedKillz wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:27 pm

Well, even the best get a little luck. I think you made a good point. Any team w the ability to change the game on one play ( Kiner 80 yards) at this level, is dangerous in the late rounds as the pressure gets more intense & kids get a lil tighter than normal. RB has the ability to test &/or beat anyone remaining. Athletic, good size kids, some next level talent at a couple key positions, ability to control the edge & they can make plays. Kiner is fast fast, but he also runs hard. He is explosive, strong, w a low center gravity. It will take solid team defense and sound tackling to keep him from breaking one against anyone. I think ya gotta respect em.
I hope we get them in the semi’s assuming we win this week in which we should, but I’m sure the winner of that game will get the winner of the Ironton/Ridgewood game and us get the winner of Eastwood/Otsego. My prediction is us vs Otsego and Ironton vs Bacon in the semi’s

6O HORN3TS 🐝
SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

Kirtland80 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:35 pm

I hope we get them in the semi’s assuming we win this week in which we should, but I’m sure the winner of that game will get the winner of the Ironton/Ridgewood game and us get the winner of Eastwood/Otsego. My prediction is us vs Otsego and Ironton vs Bacon in the semi’s
I replayed Kirtlands win from sat night. I just love how deliberate and fast the entire team plays. They hit and run w a collective sense of urgency. Aggressive, w a very simplified identity. The coaching/schemes arent exotic at all. Everything is made simple and relies on execution and effort and the Hornets have a ton of both. Cant say enough about the culture & that program. Leverde and Pendleton may very well see a lot of one another the next few years. So many similarities between these two programs and it feels like a collision may be inevitable. Final four is gonna be lit.

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

SpeedKillz wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:40 pm
Kirtland80 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:35 pm

I replayed Kirtlands win from sat night. I just love how deliberate and fast the entire team plays. They hit and run w a collective sense of urgency. Aggressive, w a very simplified identity. The coaching/schemes arent exotic at all. Everything is made simple and relies on execution and effort and the Hornets have a ton of both. Cant say enough about the culture & that program. Leverde and Pendleton may very well see a lot of one another the next few years. So many similarities between these two programs and it feels like a collision may be inevitable. Final four is gonna be lit.
We do nothing fancy, we just do what we do effectively. His offense is literally 6 plays with a few variations. Old school smash mouth is what we like to play. We like to run it and dare you to stop us but if you do we can pass as well, usually we just don’t really need to that often. I agree. So far with the first 2 seasons he has turned that program around and that’s what good coaches do. You don’t even need D1 players if you know what you are doing and can maximize what each kid is good at and condition them well enough to just wear teams out. We usually go high tempo and by the mid to late third defenses are gassed. But he seems to be a very good coach so far and that’s what teams need. You can have all the talent in the world and still not have success if you aren’t coached properly. We have no D1 talent and do it every year. The MAC has no D1 talent and they have multiple teams every year. A good coach can work with the talent at hand and still have a recipe for success. Go take a look at our playoff history prior to LaVerde becoming our coach. It’s pathetic...and it’s not kids coming in from wherever. We are closed enrollment with a CB of 0. We wouldn’t mind the run-ins if that happens. It’s an honor to play a school with such a storied playoff history. I see us dropping back to D6 soon though. I think we are D5 by like 16 students

6O HORN3TS 🐝

Return to “Football”