Found the argument for letting everyone in playoffs

formerfcfan
SEOP

Found the argument for letting everyone in playoffs

Post by formerfcfan »

Medina, who was #9 in Region 1 computer points at 9.89 averaged out points, beat St Edward last night. St Edward was #1 in Region 1 computer points at 36.53

And to think, if it was only eight entrants this year... this wouldn’t have happened.

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Found the argument for letting everyone in playoffs

Post by greygoose »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:20 am Medina, who was #9 in Region 1 computer points at 9.89 averaged out points, beat St Edward last night. St Edward was #1 in Region 1 computer points at 36.53

And to think, if it was only eight entrants this year... this wouldn’t have happened.
Man I got on here to post about this very subject. Look a little deeper and found one that might top that.
Division II Region 6---North Royalton Bears seeded #22 and they went 0-6 on the year. They just beat the #11 seed last week and #6 seeded Olmsted Falls who had 17.5 points and ranked 6th in the region. Won the game in OT.

Region 3---New Albany Eagles 3-3 on the season and ranked #11 in region with 9.1 points, just traveled to Pickerington North 5-1 in season and 26 computer points and just rocked them 44-20.

Region 10---West Holmes Knights ranked 14th in points and seeded 12 defeated Lodi Cloverleaf ranked #4 in region and 5 seed, 38-21.

Is there more lopsided wins than there is these types of examples absolutely but there's always THAT team who could pull off an upset or 2. So here we are a team that didn't win a game in season has now gone on the road and pulled out the win in the 1st, 2 rounds of the playoffs. LOVE IT.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I think there’s an argument to be made that letting everyone in, or an expansion of entrants, makes sense for larger divisions but not smaller. The Ohio Capital Conference and certainly a couple leagues near Cleveland are incredibly competitive with lots of parity.

Bumpy
Freshman Team

Post by Bumpy »

Well, as you probably already know starting next year the top 12 get in. So a team like Medina mentioned above at the 9 seed would make it in, personally I wish it would have stayed at 8 per region. Playoffs should be a reward for having a good season, the more teams allowed in just waters it down and makes the 10 games seem almost like scrimmages.

BigChuck
JV Team

Post by BigChuck »

While I agree that those do seem to be impressive wins, one could argue; How were these wins attainable? Were they wins because the stronger team was having pandemic issues with some players? I for sure don't know either way, but, were both teams were playing at their full strength? Also does some teams benefit from not having a full season (ie. were they never exposed)? or, did some teams never get fully going by not having a full season? I am truly not trying take your argument away because you many very well be correct, but to make those arguments in just one season, especially in a season with so many variables it's hard for me accept.....yet.

I will say though, that when OHSAA went to 8 teams....Ironton was an 8th and was a state runner-up...

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Medina has a QB, Drew Allar, that is very highly regarded. He's getting some looks from major D1 programs, but I don't think he has many big time offers yet. I was still shocked to see that they knocked off St. Ed's.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Bumpy wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:53 am Well, as you probably already know starting next year the top 12 get in. So a team like Medina mentioned above at the 9 seed would make it in, personally I wish it would have stayed at 8 per region. Playoffs should be a reward for having a good season, the more teams allowed in just waters it down and makes the 10 games seem almost like scrimmages.
Adding to this. After a 10 game schedule I am pretty confident the teams being talked about would be in the top 12 in their region in harbin points. In a normal year you have the non-league games that help the stronger conferences. With many teams playing only conference games, a 6th place team in a conference of larger schools could be one of the better teams in a region.

I don't want to see all teams get in the playoffs in a non-covid world. Makes the playoffs too long and in those first round match ups I think it really increases the chances of a serious injury.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

If you're going to render the regular season completely meaningless, then don't have one. Start the tournament in week 1, then teams that lose can schedule games, or not.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

So, do the top 4 teams get a 1st round bye next year.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:51 am So, do the top 4 teams get a 1st round bye next year.
Yes.

Season starts a week earlier than normal. Week 11 is a bye for top 4 teams in each region. Teams 5-8 host. Then 1-4 host in week 12.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I don’t think going to 12 teams will be bad especially for smaller divisions. It may be bad for southeastern Ohio but not the whole state. But everywhere you have a team who is a d-7 or d-6 team and they play in a league with a bunch of good d-5 teams and maybe play a D-4 team in non conference. This team may only be 5-5 and not be in top 8 in points but may actually be the better team I actually think when you get down to 8 teams in region that round of games will be better then they are now.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

teach1coach2 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:58 am
Bumpy wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:53 am Well, as you probably already know starting next year the top 12 get in. So a team like Medina mentioned above at the 9 seed would make it in, personally I wish it would have stayed at 8 per region. Playoffs should be a reward for having a good season, the more teams allowed in just waters it down and makes the 10 games seem almost like scrimmages.
Adding to this. After a 10 game schedule I am pretty confident the teams being talked about would be in the top 12 in their region in harbin points. In a normal year you have the non-league games that help the stronger conferences. With many teams playing only conference games, a 6th place team in a conference of larger schools could be one of the better teams in a region.

I don't want to see all teams get in the playoffs in a non-covid world. Makes the playoffs too long and in those first round match ups I think it really increases the chances of a serious injury.
So you think the North Royalton Bears who were 0-6 in season would've been top 12 based on points?? Final 2 weeks of the year they were beat 62-14 and 53-0.

82nd
Freshman Team

Post by 82nd »

thank you for this thread all smiles

Return to “Football”