True 2020 State Champs???

Tartanblue
SEO

True 2020 State Champs???

Post by Tartanblue »

I know the playoffs are still early, but with teams having to pull out of the playoffs because of Covid could we see even more debates about who will/do win state titles if front runners have to pull out? Not taking anything away from those that do win state later this year, because those teams will still have to go out and play like champions.

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: True 2020 State Champs???

Post by wobycat »

Depends on if a state contender is forced to not play, which may happen.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

wobycat wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:02 pm Depends on if a state contender is forced to not play, which may happen.
That's what I'm talk in about. Look at Rock Hill they may move to round 3 with a losing record if Fairland has to forfeit due to covid. What is say Ironton who is a favorite to make it to state would have to forfeit.

This year's playoff is like spinning a wheel to see the changes made.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Tartanblue wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:44 am
wobycat wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:02 pm Depends on if a state contender is forced to not play, which may happen.
That's what I'm talk in about. Look at Rock Hill they may move to round 3 with a losing record if Fairland has to forfeit due to covid. What is say Ironton who is a favorite to make it to state would have to forfeit.

That banner will still state 2020 State Champions, the only people who would be wanting to put an asterisk next to it would be everyone on the outside looking in. If Rock Hill makes it all the way to state because everyone had to forfeit talk about L..U..C..K..Y, but still they'd hoist that banner. Would it have been the same if some teams didn't even startup this year or if they simply done points only to get in the playoffs?? It's just a funky kind of year and a year where some teams are going to be better off being more lucky than good both on and off the field. I'm sure if we see 2 teams make it to the state they won't have any problems playing in the game ;)

Then again after the Fairland debacle how many parents do you think take it upon themselves to plan a large event for the students?? Just idiotic. Now there's a chance by doing that they cause an entire group of young men a chance at the playoffs. Hearts in the right place the minds were not, especially when you check with the school and they tell you it's not a good idea.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Everyone knew the situation before they opted in..is what it is.

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

I say go ahead and advance #1 and #2 in each division to the title game and let’s play it out now before this darn virus ruins the season any more than it already has. Everyone wants to see a rematch of last year, we are #1 you are #2 in division 5, both our teams are the favorites to make it even if all games do get played. Let’s not let the virus ruin this. Put them on the field now. I got my popcorn ready awaiting the coin flip

6O HORN3TS 🐝
Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:00 am

That banner will still state 2020 State Champions, the only people who would be wanting to put an asterisk next to it would be everyone on the outside looking in. If Rock Hill makes it all the way to state because everyone had to forfeit talk about L..U..C..K..Y, but still they'd hoist that banner. Would it have been the same if some teams didn't even startup this year or if they simply done points only to get in the playoffs?? It's just a funky kind of year and a year where some teams are going to be better off being more lucky than good both on and off the field. I'm sure if we see 2 teams make it to the state they won't have any problems playing in the game ;)

Then again after the Fairland debacle how many parents do you think take it upon themselves to plan a large event for the students?? Just idiotic. Now there's a chance by doing that they cause an entire group of young men a chance at the playoffs. Hearts in the right place the minds were not, especially when you check with the school and they tell you it's not a good idea.
I'm not talking about Rock Hill specifically, they were just the example with have to play Fairland and the game being in question earlier this week. But I also forgot another example/question in what would happen if a team had to withdraw the week of the state title games? Would team A automatically win the state championship without stepping foot on the field that weekend.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

They could go virtual only and load the teams into madden and play online. Or Dewine can just play the old magnet table football to decide the winners.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Winning football games AND beating Covid? Heck yes! This year should count as two state titles

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Tartanblue wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:30 pm
greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:00 am

I'm not talking about Rock Hill specifically, they were just the example with have to play Fairland and the game being in question earlier this week. But I also forgot another example/question in what would happen if a team had to withdraw the week of the state title games? Would team A automatically win the state championship without stepping foot on the field that weekend.
Yeah they would, every team is facing these same obstacles. It's a great incentive for players, students and community to try and follow the guidelines as much as possible, an example of being careless like they were at Fairland, is hopefully something ppl will learn from.

joshwheeler
Waterboy

Post by joshwheeler »

Kirtland80 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:20 pm I say go ahead and advance #1 and #2 in each division to the title game and let’s play it out now before this darn virus ruins the season any more than it already has. Everyone wants to see a rematch of last year, we are #1 you are #2 in division 5, both our teams are the favorites to make it even if all games do get played. Let’s not let the virus ruin this. Put them on the field now. I got my popcorn ready awaiting the coin flip
It'd be interesting to see if all the 1's and 2's would still be 1's and 2's if computer points were used rather than coaches voting. Seeding means practically nothing this year - so I disagree :)

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

joshwheeler wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:43 pm
Kirtland80 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:20 pm I say go ahead and advance #1 and #2 in each division to the title game and let’s play it out now before this darn virus ruins the season any more than it already has. Everyone wants to see a rematch of last year, we are #1 you are #2 in division 5, both our teams are the favorites to make it even if all games do get played. Let’s not let the virus ruin this. Put them on the field now. I got my popcorn ready awaiting the coin flip
It'd be interesting to see if all the 1's and 2's would still be 1's and 2's if computer points were used rather than coaches voting. Seeding means practically nothing this year - so I disagree :)
Well if winning 35 in a row, back to back state titles and 2 undefeated seasons in a row isn’t enough for us to be #1 then idk what is. Until we are beaten, what would be your reason we shouldn’t be #1? And Ironton is clearly the #2 team so I don’t see why computer points would change anything

6O HORN3TS 🐝

Return to “Football”