RD2: Vinton County (4-3) @ Gailia Academy (5-1)

RIVERRAT304
Waterboy

Re: RD2: Vinton County (4-3) @ Gailia Academy (5-1)

Post by RIVERRAT304 »

AMERICANFLAG wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:40 pm I don't know if coaches are coming back or not but sure hope they do. This staff is 23-5 over the last 3 years, I think. That includes losses to d5 runner up and Licking Valley who went deep in the playoffs. The play calling may look a predictable, but actually it is called RPO so not sure how that is predictable? The line has underachieved at times but to me the bigger issue with this team is the penalties. It seems they have about 3 scores called back a game. Some of those games would not have been close if it were not for penalties. They get that cleaned up and they will be hard to beat.

Yes, I know what an RPO is and yes they are still predictable. With that said, someone mentioned about the quality of the touches for 3 rather than the quantity. I completely agree. Nothing wrong with a toss sweep with a lead blocker for 3. Running into the teeth of the defense without a lead blocker you are playing the percentages. Enough carries up the middle, sure you’re gonna makes some plays, but the continual pounding isn’t worth it.

AMERICANFLAG
Waterboy

Post by AMERICANFLAG »

Not sure we are watching the same team. They run power, counter, Iso, sweep, zone with a kick out block all have lead blockers, even most of the "predictable" run pass options have a lead blocker for the run portion.

RIVERRAT304
Waterboy

Post by RIVERRAT304 »

Must not be. I’m watching the one where as mentioned earlier, coaches, players and parents calling out plays and whose is getting the ball while we are in our pre-snap count. I guess that’s not predictable. GAHS version of RPO is either handing off to 3 or throwing a hitch that’s nearly picked off because it’s so predictable. There is no threat of the QB pulling the ball and running with it, again predictable. I apologize if I have been watching another team in Blue/White.

Thegreenwave
Riding the Bench

Post by Thegreenwave »

RIVERRAT304 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:52 pm Must not be. I’m watching the one where as mentioned earlier, coaches, players and parents calling out plays and whose is getting the ball while we are in our pre-snap count. I guess that’s not predictable. GAHS version of RPO is either handing off to 3 or throwing a hitch that’s nearly picked off because it’s so predictable. There is no threat of the QB pulling the ball and running with it, again predictable. I apologize if I have been watching another team in Blue/White.
I agree with riverrat the coaching has been really bad this year. No discipline on the team. I have seen player back talk coach's and nothing is ever done about it. You bench the players getting the same flags all the time they might stop it. When you look the other way it will continue. This year has been embarrassing to watch this team.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Thegreenwave wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:14 pm
RIVERRAT304 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:52 pm Must not be. I’m watching the one where as mentioned earlier, coaches, players and parents calling out plays and whose is getting the ball while we are in our pre-snap count. I guess that’s not predictable. GAHS version of RPO is either handing off to 3 or throwing a hitch that’s nearly picked off because it’s so predictable. There is no threat of the QB pulling the ball and running with it, again predictable. I apologize if I have been watching another team in Blue/White.
I agree with riverrat the coaching has been really bad this year. No discipline on the team. I have seen player back talk coach's and nothing is ever done about it. You bench the players getting the same flags all the time they might stop it. When you look the other way it will continue. This year has been embarrassing to watch this team.

Wow that is quite a post. Not that i disagree. Or agree for that matter. I have not watched them enough. I watched them against Wellston and the Ironton film. But there are some things that obviously have bothered you this season.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
82nd
Freshman Team

Post by 82nd »

you don't need a mobile QB with the speed they have or am I missing something kids should be getting ball in space.

lineplay a 85lb kid who handles his man should be worth his weight in GOLD backs and QB should't get touched until they hit 2nd level

knowing what to do and getting them to do it is another thing

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

countywide35 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:16 pm
Thegreenwave wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:14 pm

Wow that is quite a post. Not that i disagree. Or agree for that matter. I have not watched them enough. I watched them against Wellston and the Ironton film. But there are some things that obviously have bothered you this season.
I have two family members who start for gallia I can say at times watching that team is depressing. I just look at a school like Ashland who is built a lot like gallia except for with a smaller line, these teams Athletes are almost the same across the field they both run spread with very good rbs and good wrs. The last two games ironton vs Ashland Ashland has won 30-17 being the combined score of both games ironton vs gallia last 2 games are 107-7. It could be multiple things attitudes of players, playcalling, relationship of coach and players or the worst of all parents talking crap at home that’s honestly the worst of all. But I know it’s not the talent gallia has plenty

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

This is hat I will say and a lot has to do with philosophies. Gallia academy runs the power spread and they use wing T blocking assignments and techniques. If you know much about that wing T blocking techniques are things you would usually use with smaller lines. It relies on angles and leverage. Not over powering the man your blocking. Then sliding to the next level. This philosophy also leaves more players unblocked because at point of attack. You over block.

A lot also has to do with a team buying in and believing and putting the team before for themselves. Look at this team I think it has more size and talent then the team that beat ironton 3 years ago and close to the talent to the 2012 team maybe more. But those two teams really believed in the team and they just wanted to Win. None of them care who got the ball the credit or anything they just wanted to win and both of them bought in to what the coach taught.

Coach eddy and coach Penrod both coach with a whole team approach and really need kids to buy into what is going on. And it is about the brotherhood. They build at camp and the chemistry. These things are hard to build in a COVID world.

Could a different coach a coach who is more about power and force and just about football may have got a lot more from this team.

But I will take what coach Penrod does turning boys into great young men over a guy who maybe is going to win one or two more games.

Now let’s talk about this team and it’s athletes. For starters the person who says run toss sweeps did you see the meigs game last year are QB has a cannon for a arm but he can’t pitch it accurately or on time. We also have several kids that line up as receiver who aren’t receivers. They are tailbacks or h backs. Meaning a lot of them only catch balls that they can handle like a pitch another words the ball must be in front of them. This means you have to run screens and wheel routes to the flats and simple crossing patterns. Not saying we don’t have a couple of kids that are what I would call wideouts and came make those catches but one of them is 3 and the other is the Franklin kid.

So you have a kid as a QB that has a cannon. But you don’t have receivers to match that.

You run a offense that depends on a QB to be a major part of it. A COVID year was not a good year to try to reteach all the philosophies and techniques that you have to to change a offense.

This team might of been better had it went to the wing T. Then those backs could of tossed each other’s sweeps and Mia directions.

I can go to any high school game no matter the team if you watch a little film And know 90% of what is coming. When ironton destroyed us could you not tell what was coming next.

People think because you have size speed and strength you should be great. It makes you good not great. This team is good...

A lot of the problems I see and hear on here sounds to me like the boys and the parents haven’t bought in to what coach is teaching this was also a very hard year to build those bonds.

Most of these penalties you guys call stupid I will call selfish and childish. Because a ton of them are for trash talking and taunting or from just being more interested in taking a kid out then winning a ball game.

Gallia academy does not have a lot of depth so some kids are staying on the field because there are few kids on this team that aren’t ready to play on a Friday night so they aren’t options.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
toldya
Freshman Team

Post by toldya »

ok time to start the fire Penrod movement. He can't coach and his offense is predictable, We must get him fired. If he wins next week we will never get rid of him.

BTW congrats Gallia. Congrats A P.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

This job is already Penrod’s for as long as he wants it. I don’t think there is anyone that could do anything about that.. I know you were joking it made me chuckle...

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Does anybody know where to find the stats of this game

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵

Return to “Football”