RD2: Vinton County (4-3) @ Gailia Academy (5-1)

svac83
SE

Re: RD2: Vinton County (4-3) @ Gailia Academy (5-1)

Post by svac83 »

Gallia academy has always complained about their coaches. Come to a basketball game and you can hear complaints about the present coach and all the way back through coach Osborne. Same an be true of football i can find you people to complain about coach Saunders through the current staff.

There is a big difference between complaining and not supporting the teams. The same people you hear complain about the coaches here give and participate in most of the fund raisers. They also have the coaches back if it would come to that. But come to the home stands. we can be up in a game by 30 and there are still 10 different guys that think they can out coach the coach.

Coach Penrod knew what he was getting into when he got the job. It is part of coaching at gallia academy. do i wish it wasn't wasn't that way absolutely. but it is what it is.

I can tell everyone that the coaching staff is driven as crazy by the penalties as the rest of us.

Good luck saturday night i believe blue devils put it together and win 31-14

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

Expect something in the realm of 42-21 GA if they actually open up the offense a bit.

Side note: is Warren D-IV this year? Could they potentially match up against GA, if they are?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

svac83 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:20 pm Gallia academy has always complained about their coaches. Come to a basketball game and you can hear complaints about the present coach and all the way back through coach Osborne. Same an be true of football i can find you people to complain about coach Saunders through the current staff.

There is a big difference between complaining and not supporting the teams. The same people you hear complain about the coaches here give and participate in most of the fund raisers. They also have the coaches back if it would come to that. But come to the home stands. we can be up in a game by 30 and there are still 10 different guys that think they can out coach the coach.

Coach Penrod knew what he was getting into when he got the job. It is part of coaching at gallia academy. do i wish it wasn't wasn't that way absolutely. but it is what it is.

I can tell everyone that the coaching staff is driven as crazy by the penalties as the rest of us.

Good luck saturday night i believe blue devils put it together and win 31-14
Great post.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:41 am Expect something in the realm of 42-21 GA if they actually open up the offense a bit.

Side note: is Warren D-IV this year? Could they potentially match up against GA, if they are?
Yes, Warren is DIV.

They'll each have to win two more games to play in the regional semifinal. Warren plays John Glenn at home Friday and then plays the winner of St. Clairsville and Sparta Highland.

Gallipolis plays VC (obviously) and then gets the winner of Meadowbrook and Philo.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

loganlocos wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:32 am
MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:41 am Expect something in the realm of 42-21 GA if they actually open up the offense a bit.

Yes, Warren is DIV.

They'll each have to win two more games to play in the regional semifinal. Warren plays John Glenn at home Friday and then plays the winner of St. Clairsville and Sparta Highland.

Gallipolis plays VC (obviously) and then gets the winner of Meadowbrook and Philo.
Tough road ahead. No rest for the wicked

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

Good luck to the Vikings and Blue Devils from Raider Country!

Tough one to pick. Do I go with the conference foe in VC, or do I go with the county foe in GA?

Should be a good game. Interested in the outcome of this one!

Once A Raider, Always A Raider!
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

GA has one of the better sized lines I have seen. Those boys are pretty big up front.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

countywide35 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:00 pm GA has one of the better sized lines I have seen. Those boys are pretty big up front.
I've watched them play a couple times and they are some big boys but they remind me of the "Aw Shucks , I don't wanna hurt'em Pa" Hoss Cartwright character (Dan Blocker) of Bonanza fame. :lol:

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:58 pm
countywide35 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:00 pm GA has one of the better sized lines I have seen. Those boys are pretty big up front.
I've watched them play a couple times and they are some big boys but they remind me of the "Aw Shucks , I don't wanna hurt'em Pa" Hoss Cartwright character (Dan Blocker) of Bonanza fame. :lol:

Couldn’t have been said any better......

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

Let me say it another way, "they are big, slow and soft", this group needs to play with an attitude and chip on there shoulder and knock someone on their butt.

toldya
Freshman Team

Post by toldya »

Blue, I think you would be the perfect guy for the pregame pep talk. I know you would inspire those Devils.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

You may be on to something toldya... I remember giving one of those speeches back in the time when my son was a senior.. I believe it was the Mighty Logan Chieftain game and I believe you know how that turned out....lol. If the blue can't get fired up on there own , no coach can do it.... Maybe logan and gallia can work things out and schedule some games in the future...

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Will the Blue take control of their penalties and turnovers? Most importantly will they make VC pay for dedicating 7-8 defenders to stop one GA player? Hard to block 8 with 5.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

countywide35 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:27 am

Thanks. (Yeah, I've seen Gallipolis play for 50 some odd years off and on and they've had better line play over those years with guys in the 160-225 lb.. range than they've had over the last few years with these kids going 250-330 lbs. Just my observations.)

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:56 pm

Thanks. (Yeah, I've seen Gallipolis play for 50 some odd years off and on and they've had better line play over those years with guys in the 160-225 lb.. range than they've had over the last few years with these kids going 250-330 lbs. Just my observations.)
Very different philosophy, technique, and style of play. I absolutely agree. But I don’t necessarily put that all on the kids. Past 2 years every team has loaded the box and we don’t adjust. Even Ironton came with 7-8 every play. Running downhill toward #3. And if it’s a pass the defense is already 4 deep in the backfield so they just turn to the qb. Every yard gained is a testament to the individual talent and effort of the players. Eventually we will play a team with similar talent..... The message the big guys need to hear is that nobody cares who wins the smack talk game, save that for facechat or whatever. Been penalized a ton because of getting into our emotions. Be nasty until the whistle blows! No excuse for your statement to be true Fan but it is as true as any statement all year. Too much time on our heels. This group of bigs is talented and athletic but I agree it hasn’t necessarily shown at times. Now is the time! Fact still remains, VC is gonna bring more than we have blocking. Will we force them to play disciplined defense or allow them to pile up in the box. Either way this week I think James puts us on his back and defies the odds again. I’m more into maximizing talent rather than riding a talented back. Too many options to have zero creativity and be 100% predictable every snap. Been interesting with the small crowds being able to hear our opponents defense calling our plays presnap while still in the first quarter. Not uncommon to hear the coaches but this year it’s been the defenders.

RIVERRAT304
Waterboy

Post by RIVERRAT304 »

JChipwood wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:40 am

Very different philosophy, technique, and style of play. I absolutely agree. But I don’t necessarily put that all on the kids. Past 2 years every team has loaded the box and we don’t adjust. Even Ironton came with 7-8 every play. Running downhill toward #3. And if it’s a pass the defense is already 4 deep in the backfield so they just turn to the qb. Every yard gained is a testament to the individual talent and effort of the players. Eventually we will play a team with similar talent..... The message the big guys need to hear is that nobody cares who wins the smack talk game, save that for facechat or whatever. Been penalized a ton because of getting into our emotions. Be nasty until the whistle blows! No excuse for your statement to be true Fan but it is as true as any statement all year. Too much time on our heels. This group of bigs is talented and athletic but I agree it hasn’t necessarily shown at times. Now is the time! Fact still remains, VC is gonna bring more than we have blocking. Will we force them to play disciplined defense or allow them to pile up in the box. Either way this week I think James puts us on his back and defies the odds again. I’m more into maximizing talent rather than riding a talented back. Too many options to have zero creativity and be 100% predictable every snap. Been interesting with the small crowds being able to hear our opponents defense calling our plays presnap while still in the first quarter. Not uncommon to hear the coaches but this year it’s been the defenders.

Yes play calling is very predictable. Should have more offensive formations next year with a QB that can run and take it the distance or throw if needed. We will be just fine at the tailback positon the next 3 years along with our receivers. We need more size on the line in the next few years as well. Also hearing that there may be a few coaches not return, one of those being the HC.

82nd
Freshman Team

Post by 82nd »

RIVERRAT304 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:08 am

Yes play calling is very predictable. Should have more offensive formations next year with a QB that can run and take it the distance or throw if needed. We will be just fine at the tailback positon the next 3 years along with our receivers. We need more size on the line in the next few years as well. Also hearing that there may be a few coaches not return, one of those being the HC.
sounds like you can't wait for spring graduation to get here

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Easy there Tex. We may be fine but decades may pass until we see another player close to #3. Running ability of the qb should not be the determining factor in regards to predictability but it does require some flexibility and willingness to teach outside of the comfort zone. I assure you Jimmy would have utilized the strengths of the current qb as well as given 3 quality touches over quantity. And I hope any Blue devil fan has paid attention enough to see what coach P brings to the table. I hope that isn’t true about the HC. We have some nice young talent but will they realize that it’s been easy this far and put in the required work or will they settle being better than their teammates and never reach their potential. 32 has been outstanding!! Youth has exposed itself at times with the other youngsters. Nearly cost us the game against Fairland when 10 was no longer on the edge.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Good post . I'd have given my left **t to be that size when I played in high school but as a Lineman and Lb @ 170 lb back in those days I know I left it on the field every game and gave max effort every time out in those years. I still have metal cleat cut scars and a bad knee that remind me of those high school days everyday. It's become more of a finesse and speed game nowadays and the rules have changed over time for hits, blocking and tackling (chop blocks, crack backs, helmet contact, etc) but there is nothing in the rules that says you can't be physical, make hard contact, be disciplined and be smart. I guess the part that bothers me most is all this arm tackling , reaching out for jerseys or flailing when you think you've been held. As you stated above, play until the whistle blows. When you meet up with equal physical talent in any sport, the team with the biggest mental % between the ears will win out. Gallipolis should be fine this week.

AMERICANFLAG
Waterboy

Post by AMERICANFLAG »

I don't know if coaches are coming back or not but sure hope they do. This staff is 23-5 over the last 3 years, I think. That includes losses to d5 runner up and Licking Valley who went deep in the playoffs. The play calling may look a predictable, but actually it is called RPO so not sure how that is predictable? The line has underachieved at times but to me the bigger issue with this team is the penalties. It seems they have about 3 scores called back a game. Some of those games would not have been close if it were not for penalties. They get that cleaned up and they will be hard to beat.

Return to “Football”