2020 Waverly 36 - 35 Wheelersburg

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: 2020 Waverly 36 - 35 Wheelersburg

Post by Bleeding Red »

wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:01 pm
Bleeding Red wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:45 pm
wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:35 pm

What major weaknesses? Holding them to 28 points in regulation? The best any team has done against them all year. Will we ever give credit where it’s due. Burg played pretty decent defensively. They held Waverly to 14 points in each half. Shanks and those receivers are really good too. But in the end, a couple of plays different, burg may have would have won this just as easily. Waverly made the best of their opportunities last night. Play this game 10 times and it’s coin flip every time.
Waverly is good. No doubt. Shanks is the best overall QB around. Burg had glaring issues with tackling and tackling in space vs Minford. Anyone that says otherwise is wearing orange colored glasses.

Didnt see the Burg vs Waverly game but I figured Waverly would get Burg in space.
They didn’t tackle well in the minford game but this game They tackled well. Waverly ran the ball better than what burg probably thought. I think that was the difference. Waverly did what they do but burg stopped their offense several times during the game. Burg shot themselves in the foot enough to where they couldn’t take advantage of it to win.
Much better explanation. Burg is normally a very sure tackling team. Especially in space. That's what was concerning vs Minford.
Glad they have been working and improving in that area. If they make a run in the playoffs this year their defense will need to be tight.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

They won't make a long run , for sure.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Wheelersburg is not better than last year. Not even close.

No explosive athlete.
Linebacker play is bad.

If this team played last year's schedule they would have been hammered by Ironton and Jackson; and would've lost to Ashland by now.

Not saying they are bad, they are a good football team.
They are coached well and have played well to their talent level.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:51 am Wheelersburg is not better than last year. Not even close.

No explosive athlete.
Linebacker play is bad.

If this team played last year's schedule they would have been hammered by Ironton and Jackson; and would've lost to Ashland by now.

Not saying they are bad, they are a good football team.
They are coached well and have played well to their talent level.
Lol. Ok. Keep thinking that. Lattimore is not explosive? Lol
Last edited by wobycat on Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

The Regulator wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:40 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:35 pm
Bleeding Red wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:10 pm

Ex band member criticizing one of the most successful high school football coaches in this area of the state. That's hilarious.

I knew Burg had major weaknesses when they played Minford. Waverly exposed that and was the better team.
What major weaknesses? Holding them to 28 points in regulation? The best any team has done against them all year. Will we ever give credit where it’s due. Burg played pretty decent defensively. They held Waverly to 14 points in each half. Shanks and those receivers are really good too. But in the end, a couple of plays different, burg may have would have won this just as easily. Waverly made the best of their opportunities last night. Play this game 10 times and it’s coin flip every time.
If holding a team to 28 points is considered good I would hate to see what bad is considered. Waverly made this game closer than it should have been and this Burg team is not as good as last year's. This will show even more so come playoff time.
Scoff all you want but You do realize burg easily could have won this game? But keep believing they aren’t good. I wouldn’t want to play them in the playoffs.

This may be an intelligent thought. How about the idea that waverly is really really good in d4 and d5 burg about knocked them off at their place? That seems more intelligent.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Noone said they weren't good
You keep saying they are better than they were last year

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:16 pm Noone said they weren't good
They are. Lol. Way better. Burg was two plays away from being .500 last year. It’s just silly to make that statement after a loss to d4 4-0 Waverly at their place.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

If you watched the game they are a much more complete team this year. I don't know if he had a bad night or what but I felt the QB struggled throwing this year compared to last year. Last year if you remember burg only used yet sweeps and 2 players to tote the rock and played a Waverly team who's QB had a torn ACL and no Phoenix wolf in that game either. Waverly could've easily won last year but things didn't line up right, burg last year was getting what they could out of the guys they had. This year's team looked much more confident and not so limited to using just 1 or 2 guys. Passing game must improve though for them to make a deep run and lattimore has got to get conditioned better to stay out there on offense. He's a player that can keep guys in the box and allow the faster guys outside.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:30 pm
If you watched the game they are a much more complete team this year. I don't know if he had a bad night or what but I felt the QB struggled throwing this year compared to last year. Last year if you remember burg only used yet sweeps and 2 players to tote the rock and played a Waverly team who's QB had a torn ACL and no Phoenix wolf in that game either. Waverly could've easily won last year but things didn't line up right, burg last year was getting what they could out of the guys they had. This year's team looked much more confident and not so limited to using just 1 or 2 guys. Passing game must improve though for them to make a deep run and lattimore has got to get conditioned better to stay out there on offense. He's a player that can keep guys in the box and allow the faster guys outside.
He was off compared to the three previous. It was bound to happen. Happens to all players eventually. He overthrew three or four wide open receivers. Some of those would have kept the drive going. It just amazes me about people piling on with the notion that burg isn’t good after losing to Waverly at their place in OT. It lends no respect to Waverly. Now if Waverly throttled them in statistics, or had a bunch of turnovers, or won by two to three scores, o could get the argument but that didn’t happen. These two are even. Waverly just had the X factor in shanks.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:49 pm
He was off compared to the three previous. It was bound to happen. Happens to all players eventually. He overthrew three or four wide open receivers. Some of those would have kept the drive going. It just amazes me about people piling on with the notion that burg isn’t good after losing to Waverly at their place in OT. It lends no respect to Waverly. Now if Waverly throttled them in statistics, or had a bunch of turnovers, or won by two to three scores, o could get the argument but that didn’t happen. These two are even. Waverly just had the X factor in shanks.
That makes more sense in terms of throwing because yes he missed a few throws that would've kept drives going, plus as a play caller you start getting a little gun shy when your QB keeps missing. It's like any other year if Burg loses you have a certain group that jumps on that wagon and from what I can tell I don't believe it's anyone who is a Waverly fan saying this stuff. I find it funny trying to say if Burg played Ironton or Jackson this year when people ae comparing teams, when 95% of the teams in the area would lose to those 2 teams, I'd say 100% but you just never know. There's more what if's on this site than ppl dealing in reality and what is going on.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Give the Tigers credit. We usually win those games. Reference 2019 as an example for wins at the end, and the State Championship run before that.

It's fine learn from it, get better, season far from over.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:03 pm
wobycat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:49 pm

That makes more sense in terms of throwing because yes he missed a few throws that would've kept drives going, plus as a play caller you start getting a little gun shy when your QB keeps missing. It's like any other year if Burg loses you have a certain group that jumps on that wagon and from what I can tell I don't believe it's anyone who is a Waverly fan saying this stuff. I find it funny trying to say if Burg played Ironton or Jackson this year when people ae comparing teams, when 95% of the teams in the area would lose to those 2 teams, I'd say 100% but you just never know. There's more what if's on this site than ppl dealing in reality and what is going on.
It’s definitely not Waverly fans. And I’m ok with people saying they aren’t good, maybe they aren’t, time will tell. but they are saying it after a close loss to a really good Waverly team. And when I say close, it really was. There were times in the game where Waverly probably could have opened it up but burg made some big time stops defensively. Same with Waverly. The goal line stand right before half was huge and may have been the Deciding factor of the game. Let’s say Waverly dropped the two point conversion. Would they be on here saying the same thing?

Tommy Chong
Freshman Team

Post by Tommy Chong »

Burg is a good team. A very good team , they were a good team last year . They lost to Ironton, Jackson , and Hartley . Are you kidding me ? That’s a brutal schedule and this years version of the Pirates would also lose badly to those teams.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:10 pm Give the Tigers credit. We usually win those games. Reference 2019 as an example for wins at the end, and the State Championship run before that.

It's fine learn from it, get better, season far from over.
Good post.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Tommy Chong wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:15 pm Burg is a good team. A very good team , they were a good team last year . They lost to Ironton, Jackson , and Hartley . Are you kidding me ? That’s a brutal schedule and this years version of the Pirates would also lose badly to those teams.
I disagree. I’m not saying they will win because that has to be proven, not hypothetical, but there’s no way this team gets throttled by Jackson and ironton.

Tommy Chong
Freshman Team

Post by Tommy Chong »

wobycat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:17 pm
Tommy Chong wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:15 pm Burg is a good team. A very good team , they were a good team last year . They lost to Ironton, Jackson , and Hartley . Are you kidding me ? That’s a brutal schedule and this years version of the Pirates would also lose badly to those teams.
I disagree. I’m not saying they will win because that has to be proven, not hypothetical, but there’s no way this team gets throttled by Jackson and ironton.
Ok we’ll the 2020 Pirates would be 6-4 if they played the same schedule as the 2019 Pirates and trust me the vast majority of football fans who have seen all 3 teams play don’t put Wheelersburg on their level . I know you do .

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Tommy Chong wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:21 pm
Ok we’ll the 2020 Pirates would be 6-4 if they played the same schedule as the 2019 Pirates and trust me the vast majority of football fans who have seen all 3 teams play don’t put Wheelersburg on their level . I know you do .
That may be very true. And I’m not putting them on their level. If you remember correctly, the argument was if they were better than last year, they are. And if I was ironton, I wouldn’t think for one second that they would walk all over them. I know you don’t think so but most people who have seen them do.
Last edited by wobycat on Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy Chong
Freshman Team

Post by Tommy Chong »

wobycat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:25 pm

That may be very true. And I’m not putting them on their level. If you remember correctly, the argument was if they were better, they are. I know you don’t think so but most people who have seen them do.
That’s fine , Wheelersburg is much better this year , Jackson is also much better. Good luck going forward

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Both of these are going to do work come playoff time, Waverly Burg Jackson and Ironton are toting the flag for SEO and each of them will make some noise come playoff time. As a fan of football in our area I am excited for it. Friday night was a display of two great teams where one had to lose

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

wobycat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:25 pm

That may be very true. And I’m not putting them on their level. If you remember correctly, the argument was if they were better than last year, they are. And if I was ironton, I wouldn’t think for one second that they would walk all over them. I know you don’t think so but most people who have seen them do.
They aren't on that level. Not even close

You keep saying they're better and then the argument you give is they were a couple plays from .500 last year

They lost to Hartley, Ironton, and Jackson last year, as they would this year.

Return to “Football”