2020 Waverly 36 - 35 Wheelersburg

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Re: 2020 Waverly 36 - 35 Wheelersburg

Post by MasterOfNone »

wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:42 am
MasterOfNone wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:31 am I think both teams had missed opportunities. Burg should have capitalized one at least one of those goal line stands. And Waverly missed some pretty open passes that Shanks typically puts right on the money but just was a tad off and made for a difficult stretch for the WRs.
I thought shanks was great last tonight. He did miss a couple of throws but it’s because burgs coverage was tight and that’s the window he had to throw in. He only put it where his receiver had a chance. His only mistake was the deep pick that he under threw. Other than that, all his throws were big time and need to be appreciated
Shanks never goes unappreciated in Waverly. He’s a stud and the best QB in southern Ohio. I wasn’t criticizing him, he played great. Just saying there was a few throws that could have went for big yards or possibly more but they were just off the finger tips of the WRs. Those throws I’m talking about were by no means uncatchable and the WRs could have made the catch but it would have been difficult. One or two of those throws connect and it wouldn’t have went to OT. Just like if Burg gets a score in one of the goal line stands. Both teams had some opportunities to stretch the lead but didn’t.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

MasterOfNone wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:04 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:42 am
MasterOfNone wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:31 am I think both teams had missed opportunities. Burg should have capitalized one at least one of those goal line stands. And Waverly missed some pretty open passes that Shanks typically puts right on the money but just was a tad off and made for a difficult stretch for the WRs.
I thought shanks was great last tonight. He did miss a couple of throws but it’s because burgs coverage was tight and that’s the window he had to throw in. He only put it where his receiver had a chance. His only mistake was the deep pick that he under threw. Other than that, all his throws were big time and need to be appreciated
Shanks never goes unappreciated in Waverly. He’s a stud and the best QB in southern Ohio. I wasn’t criticizing him, he played great. Just saying there was a few throws that could have went for big yards or possibly more but they were just off the finger tips of the WRs. Those throws I’m talking about were by no means uncatchable and the WRs could have made the catch but it would have been difficult. One or two of those throws connect and it wouldn’t have went to OT. Just like if Burg gets a score in one of the goal line stands. Both teams had some opportunities to stretch the lead but didn’t.
Completely agree. My appreciation comment was more to those who are saying burg isn’t good. Sometimes it’s because of how good the opponent was. Waverly deserves the credit, especially the shanks kid. He’s really good. At no time did I think burg was out of position until the out an up that led to the missed field goal. Other than that, he was threading the needle.

The Flush
Varsity

Re: Week 4 Wheelersburg (3-0) at Waverly (3-0)

Post by The Flush »

smurray wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:44 pm
The Flush wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:20 pm
Kicker. wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:53 pm Who attempted the field goal for Waverly that missed? Smith or Flanders?
Smith, Flanders was holding.
Very tough angle from the right hash. Offside on the Pirates would have given the Tigers the ball at the 1/2 yard line but Waverly declined and attempted the FG. 1/2 yard with Shanks under center and a big push would have been hard to stop.
OC made up for that call with the 2PT conversion call - that was masterful.
Waverly's kicking team has been different every week, and sometime within the same game.

Senior Ben Flanders was expected to kick, but he had his 3rd heart surgery (ablation) in 2 years on July 30th. He missed the week of practice before due to quarantine after COVID testing and the week after in recovery. He probably came back too soon and injured his leg (quad strain). He tried punting in the Granville game, but he was in too much pain and sat out the 2nd half until he came in to kick the game winning PAT. He is really just now getting back to normal. He had a couple nice punts against Burg and held the ball for Keagan Smith last night. He also just earned first team All SOC in golf this week.

Junior Keagan Smith is in his first year of football and is also a key starter for the Waverly soccer team. He has done a good job in his first year and Waverly is lucky to have him given the injury to Ben. I think Keagan has only missed 1 PAT that was his fault, and the FG against Burg. There was another missed PAT, but it was a bad snap. The missed FG was on the right hash which is the worst spot for Keagan as a lefty in a high pressure situation. He will be alright.

JT Barnett was expected to snap with Mark Stulley holding. But JT was inured at the beginning to the season so Mark went back to snapping and Phoenix Wolf became the holder. This worked well until last week when Mark was out. JT snapped and wasn't as crisp as Mark, but there was only the 1 miss. Now JT is out so freshman Jace Gecowets learned to snap an hour before the Burg game and did an outstanding job under the circumstances. Ben was the holder to give Phoenix a few extra plays off since he is a 2 way player who was a little banged up heading into the game. When Mark and JT return Waverly will have multiple snappers to choose from.

Grayson Diener is missed for his kickoff touchbacks more than anything since Waverly didn't even attempt many FGs even with Grayson. The PAT game is sound for this year and next it appears. I suspect Waverly wouldn't attempt any FGs longer than 30 yards this year, whereas last year Grayson could have attempted 50 yarders.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

The Flush wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:37 am

Very tough angle from the right hash. Offside on the Pirates would have given the Tigers the ball at the 1/2 yard line but Waverly declined and attempted the FG. 1/2 yard with Shanks under center and a big push would have been hard to stop.
Waverly's kicking team has been different every week, and sometime within the same game.

Senior Ben Flanders was expected to kick, but he had his 3rd heart surgery (ablation) in 2 years on July 30th. He missed the week of practice before due to quarantine after COVID testing and the week after in recovery. He probably came back too soon and injured his leg (quad strain). He tried punting in the Granville game, but he was in too much pain and sat out the 2nd half until he came in to kick the game winning PAT. He is really just now getting back to normal. He had a couple nice punts against Burg and held the ball for Keagan Smith last night. He also just earned first team All SOC in golf this week.

Junior Keagan Smith is in his first year of football and is also a key starter for the Waverly soccer team. He has done a good job in his first year and Waverly is lucky to have him given the injury to Ben. I think Keagan has only missed 1 PAT that was his fault, and the FG against Burg. There was another missed PAT, but it was a bad snap. The missed FG was on the right hash which is the worst spot for Keagan as a lefty in a high pressure situation. He will be alright.

JT Barnett was expected to snap with Mark Stulley holding. But JT was inured at the beginning to the season so Mark went back to snapping and Phoenix Wolf became the holder. This worked well until last week when Mark was out. JT snapped and wasn't as crisp as Mark, but there was only the 1 miss. Now JT is out so freshman Jace Gecowets learned to snap an hour before the Burg game and did an outstanding job under the circumstances. Ben was the holder to give Phoenix a few extra plays off since he is a 2 way player who was a little banged up heading into the game. When Mark and JT return Waverly will have multiple snappers to choose from.

Grayson Diener is missed for his kickoff touchbacks more than anything since Waverly didn't even attempt many FGs even with Grayson. The PAT game is sound for this year and next it appears. I suspect Waverly wouldn't attempt any FGs longer than 30 yards this year, whereas last year Grayson could have attempted 50 yarders.
Grayson was a great kicker and would’ve been nice to have this year. But like you said, a lot of contributing factors that have made the kicking game a little more difficult for Waverly.

Keagan has nothing to be ashamed of, he did great all night except for the miss at the end. But that was a tough angle and situation to put him in. As soon we Waverly got to move up after the penalty, they should have put the offense back on the field and put the game in your seniors hands. I would have like to have seen them go to the same formation that had been running where they have Zeke in the backfield and either handed it off to him or let Shanks keep it. But it all worked out, hind sight is 20/20. Waverly coaching staff made a brilliant call on the two point conversion and I loved that they had decided if they scored in OT they were going to go for the W. Love the aggressiveness. Would have been a little tough to put Keagan back out there after missing the field goal at the end, putting the pressure on him twice in such a short time.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I think a lot of people are questioning the play calling at the end of the half. How do you not give that ball to Lattimore 4 times in a row if you have to? The kid was running over Waverly's defense to get it down to the 6 inch line and then you take him out!!!! That's what everyone is mad about. You ride the horse that got you there. Lattimore might be a Sophomore but he sure didn't play like one last night. He is going to be a special kind of player over the next few years. He is a beast to try and bring down.

Tommy Chong
Freshman Team

Post by Tommy Chong »

Wheelersburg fans questioning coach Woodward is hilarious. You lost to a better team , end of story. Now keep making fun of the 2019 Pirates , at least they were SOC champs

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Tommy Chong wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:41 pm Wheelersburg fans questioning coach Woodward is hilarious. You lost to a better team , end of story. Now keep making fun of the 2019 Pirates , at least they were SOC champs
Nah. Both teams are even. You’re just being biased, which is fine as a fan.

Waverly +2 Passing

Burg + 1 rushing
Burg +1 special teams.

Burg could have easily won the game as well.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

The Flush wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:37 am

I was wondering how their kicking game was going to be, Waverly has been solid since ‘17 in the special teams department. Knew Flanders was going to be the next in line after Diener but Smith has been a huge help in stepping up

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:44 am
MrFirstTake wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:39 am Ive never heard so many people question maybe the best coaching staff in southeastern ohio so much on one topic
Happens all the time. Some griping about the field goal. We don’t know what the kids said to the coaches. Maybe they told them they could get it. They were two yards out and inches from scoring. It wasn’t their night.
Its always the rule of thumb that you take whatever points you can get in the first half when you can. Ive seen many games even at the pro level end up being decided by 2 or less and a choice was made to not kick the FG in the first half or go for 2.

How many times have we seen PHS under Clifford and Ironton not have a kicker and get beat b/c of missed x-points? It’s easy to sit here and be an armchair QB and second guess, but pay attention to when team doesn’t take the easy points in the first half and when it comes back to bite them in the rear when the game is finished

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

M
vladimir wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:07 pm
wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:44 am
MrFirstTake wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:39 am Ive never heard so many people question maybe the best coaching staff in southeastern ohio so much on one topic
Happens all the time. Some griping about the field goal. We don’t know what the kids said to the coaches. Maybe they told them they could get it. They were two yards out and inches from scoring. It wasn’t their night.
Its always the rule of thumb that you take whatever points you can get in the first half when you can. Ive seen many games even at the pro level end up being decided by 2 or less and a choice was made to not kick the FG in the first half or go for 2.

How many times have we seen PHS under Clifford and Ironton not have a kicker and get beat b/c of missed x-points? It’s easy to sit here and be an armchair QB and second guess, but pay attention to when team doesn’t take the easy points in the first half and when it comes back to bite them in the rear when the game is finished
You may be right but hindsight is always 20/20. Maybe they thought that 3 points wouldn’t be enough in this game.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Tommy Chong wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:41 pm Wheelersburg fans questioning coach Woodward is hilarious. You lost to a better team , end of story. Now keep making fun of the 2019 Pirates , at least they were SOC champs

Coach Woodward doesn't call the plays clown!!!

I don't agree that Waverly was the better team. Burg should have won this in regulation when they got the ball back with around a minute left and ended up throwing an interception. Burg gets in to kicking range there, which is around a 40 yarder they more than likely would have won.

Not sure who you follow but you sir are foolish. We don't need such tomfoolery around here.

Tommy Chong
Freshman Team

Post by Tommy Chong »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:07 pm

Coach Woodward doesn't call the plays clown!!!

I don't agree that Waverly was the better team. Burg should have won this in regulation when they got the ball back with around a minute left and ended up throwing an interception. Burg gets in to kicking range there, which is around a 40 yarder they more than likely would have won.

Not sure who you follow but you sir are foolish. We don't need such tomfoolery around here.

Facts don’t care about your opinion Sir, the scoreboard would disagree about your claim of Wheelersburg being better than Waverly. I follow the truth.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:59 am I think a lot of people are questioning the play calling at the end of the half. How do you not give that ball to Lattimore 4 times in a row if you have to? The kid was running over Waverly's defense to get it down to the 6 inch line and then you take him out!!!! That's what everyone is mad about. You ride the horse that got you there. Lattimore might be a Sophomore but he sure didn't play like one last night. He is going to be a special kind of player over the next few years. He is a beast to try and bring down.
Ex band member criticizing one of the most successful high school football coaches in this area of the state. That's hilarious.

I knew Burg had major weaknesses when they played Minford. Waverly exposed that and was the better team.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Bleeding Red wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:10 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:59 am I think a lot of people are questioning the play calling at the end of the half. How do you not give that ball to Lattimore 4 times in a row if you have to? The kid was running over Waverly's defense to get it down to the 6 inch line and then you take him out!!!! That's what everyone is mad about. You ride the horse that got you there. Lattimore might be a Sophomore but he sure didn't play like one last night. He is going to be a special kind of player over the next few years. He is a beast to try and bring down.
Ex band member criticizing one of the most successful high school football coaches in this area of the state. That's hilarious.

I knew Burg had major weaknesses when they played Minford. Waverly exposed that and was the better team.
What major weaknesses? Holding them to 28 points in regulation? The best any team has done against them all year. Will we ever give credit where it’s due. Burg played pretty decent defensively. They held Waverly to 14 points in each half. Shanks and those receivers are really good too. But in the end, a couple of plays different, burg may have would have won this just as easily. Waverly made the best of their opportunities last night. Play this game 10 times and it’s coin flip every time.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

And here come the Minfordites telling us how since Minford couldn’t do it they exposed it for others to take advantage of. That’s funny. Everyone in Burg knew that there pass defense was not good and still yet it took Waverly overtime to knock off the Pirates. Burg could have and should have won this game. That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it. I could give a flying @#$& what you think about my comments.

Ask anyone that watched or listened to that game if they think Lattimore should have gotten the ball before halftime and I’ll bet you the majority said he should. It’s not the first time play calling has been questioned and it won’t be the last.

By the way, like I said above, Coach Woodward does not call the plays and yes he is by far the best coach around here.
Last edited by yabbadabbadoo on Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:35 pm

What major weaknesses? Holding them to 28 points in regulation? The best any team has done against them all year. Will we ever give credit where it’s due. Burg played pretty decent defensively. They held Waverly to 14 points in each half. Shanks and those receivers are really good too. But in the end, a couple of plays different, burg may have would have won this just as easily. Waverly made the best of their opportunities last night. Play this game 10 times and it’s coin flip every time.
Waverly is good. No doubt. Shanks is the best overall QB around. Burg had glaring issues with tackling and tackling in space vs Minford. Anyone that says otherwise is wearing orange colored glasses.

Didnt see the Burg vs Waverly game but I figured Waverly would get Burg in space.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:44 pm

And here come the Minfordites telling us how since Minford couldn’t do it they exposed it for others to take advantage of. That’s funny. Everyone in Burg knew that there pass defense was not good and still yet it took Waverly overtime to knock off the Pirates. Burg could have and should have won this game. That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it. I could give a flying @#$& what you think about my comments.

Ask anyone that watched or listened to that game if they think Lattimore should have gotten the ball before halftime and I’ll bet you the majority said he should. It’s not the first time play calling has been questioned and it won’t be the last.
Keep tooting your horn Yaba. No pun intended.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Didn’t figure you saw it or heard it so once again you come onto a Burg thread running your mouth about s@#t you don’t have a clue about. Burg putting no points on before the half was huge. They should have kicked the FG and then when they didn’t they tried a QB sneak from the two yard line that had no chance of scoring. They had the best RB standing on the sidelines for all 4 plays.

That’s dumb play calling my friend!!!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Bleeding Red wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:45 pm

Waverly is good. No doubt. Shanks is the best overall QB around. Burg had glaring issues with tackling and tackling in space vs Minford. Anyone that says otherwise is wearing orange colored glasses.

Didnt see the Burg vs Waverly game but I figured Waverly would get Burg in space.
They didn’t tackle well in the minford game but this game They tackled well. Waverly ran the ball better than what burg probably thought. I think that was the difference. Waverly did what they do but burg stopped their offense several times during the game. Burg shot themselves in the foot enough to where they couldn’t take advantage of it to win.

The Regulator
Riding the Bench

Post by The Regulator »

If holding a team to 28 points is considered good I would hate to see what bad is considered. Waverly made this game closer than it should have been and this Burg team is not as good as last year's. This will show even more so come playoff time.

Return to “Football”