2020 Waverly 36 - 35 Wheelersburg

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Week 4 Wheelersburg (3-0) at Waverly (3-0)

Post by wobycat »

LetsBeReal wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:39 pm
vladimir wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:12 pm I think Waverly may have the better team, but until they can prove they can beat the Pirates, it's W'burg's too lose. Last year, W'burg had a great game plan and executed it; that was to keep Shoemaker off the field with long sustained drives. Waverly panicked, their play-calling on their last possession was horrendous and cost them the game. I'm calling it for W'burg 35-27.
The start didn’t help either, the opening possession fumble really hurt.Dictated a lot of the game.
If shanks would have been healthy, i think Waverly wins that last years game. But this is a better version of burg this year. This will be a good one but I think burg is better equipped to beat the tigers.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:43 pm
vladimir wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:12 pm I think Waverly may have the better team, but until they can prove they can beat the Pirates, it's W'burg's too lose. Last year, W'burg had a great game plan and executed it; that was to keep Shoemaker off the field with long sustained drives. Waverly panicked, their play-calling on their last possession was horrendous and cost them the game. I'm calling it for W'burg 35-27.
The start didn’t help either, the opening possession fumble really hurt.Dictated a lot of the game.
If shanks would have been healthy, i think Waverly wins that last years game. But this is a better version of burg this year. This will be a good one but I think burg is better equipped to beat the tigers.
This is a better version of burg, but unfortunately it's looking like Waverly isn't going into this one at 100%. I'm hearing possibly multiple Waverly players in quarantine, and possibly missing a starting WR to injury as well.
Last edited by greygoose on Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

greygoose wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:04 pm

This is a better version of burg, but unfortunately it's looking like Waverly is going into this one at 100%. I'm hearing possibly multiple Waverly players in quarantine, and possibly missing a starting WR to injury as well.
https://www.newswatchman.com/news_advis ... f5037.html

May be a grain of truth in greygoose's report.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

Omega wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:42 pm

This is a better version of burg, but unfortunately it's looking like Waverly is going into this one at 100%. I'm hearing possibly multiple Waverly players in quarantine, and possibly missing a starting WR to injury as well.

Is it possible this one is a late cancel?

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

SpeedKillz wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:14 am

Would not be surprised at all if this game not played if that true about Waverly having multiple players in quarantine. Had heard earlier this week that Waverly may be back to online school only by next week. Sounds like this may be the reason.*

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

art_vandelay wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:22 am

Would not be surprised at all if this game not played if that true about Waverly having multiple players in quarantine. Had heard earlier this week that Waverly may be back to online school only by next week. Sounds like this may be the reason.*
I would think if they were going to cancel it would've already happened. I guess a lot of ppl went to some big wedding and that seems to be the source of several positive test, not from the players is my understanding but from parents or school officials from the article. Still planning on watching this one but I'm afraid it quite possibly has lost some luster, guess we'll find out what players this has effected tonight.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

I don’t think this gets canceled. Now what happens in the coming weeks is still up in the air. Although, even if Waverly were to go fully remote for a couple of weeks, I would imagine football would still be a go as long as they don’t see any positive cases on the team. Now as far as who is out and what not for tonight, I only know of one player who is still quarantined that will not be there and was having to quarantine due to exposure but I haven’t heard that he had been tested positive. That’s all I have heard as far as that goes, unless things have changed as of yesterday. And their is an injury that may hamper a starter some, usually plays both sides of the ball but we will have to see what he’s able to do come game time.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

greygoose wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:27 am
art_vandelay wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:22 am

I would think if they were going to cancel it would've already happened. I guess a lot of ppl went to some big wedding and that seems to be the source of several positive test, not from the players is my understanding but from parents or school officials from the article. Still planning on watching this one but I'm afraid it quite possibly has lost some luster, guess we'll find out what players this has effected tonight.
This is what I said yesterday afternoon:
“Waverly's defense is much stronger and better than last year... not having Stulley and possibly not Wolf available on D will hurt but Waverly is still much better against the run.”
Two of the players that won’t be available for the Tigers.

Tommy Chong
Freshman Team

Post by Tommy Chong »

Waverly has no excuses

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

As someone stated early, it was very pleasant to see no bashing or arguing on the thread this week. Their seems to be a mutual respect for each other and everyone recognizes that both teams are really good. For Burg, it seems they know Waverly has a good squad this year and it will be tough for them to come out of there with a W. For Waverly, they know that the Pirates bring it every year and have the talent and discipline to beat them and until they actually start coming out on top in some of these games it will always be Burg that is favored over them.

I know things may get more heated as the game progresses and post game, but that is just part of the competition. But hopefully we can all keep it how it has been. Great example of how two opposing fans should act.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Tommy Chong wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:14 am Waverly has no excuses
Absolutely not. I was never trying to make any excuses, nor do I think anyone else was. Just stating facts. They will be missing a starter who did not participate last week. And they had an injury occur to a starter on both sides of the ball and it may limit him to playing only side from what I understand. Now they still have plenty of dudes who can play and should still get the job done.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

SloppyTadpole69 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:22 am Got the Ironmen in this one. Thinking they roll over the Rockets by about 99 points. Keep your head posted for that one kid, he is good. Like real good. Might be the best player ever. Like ever. Go magenta!
Probably the wrong thread....

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Is this the year Waverly gets the monkey of their backs? I think so. When we aren’t beating Waverly’s brains in (like last year) then I’m rooting for them.

Waverly 42
Burg 24

BurgBaskets
Riding the Bench

Post by BurgBaskets »

This one would have been SRO. Burg much better this year and I look for a 2 score win. Going with Burg 28-Waverly 12.

GO BURG!!

Tiger Dad 2021
Riding the Bench

Post by Tiger Dad 2021 »

Who all is out on both teams. My son just sent message that they just announced 4 players (2 from each school) were not playing unless covid test return. They were notified in last 24 hours of exposure

WHS2000grad
Riding the Bench

Post by WHS2000grad »

I don't know if Waverly has any players in quarantine. According to Pike County General Health District there are 5 Waverly City Schools and 3 that tested positive as of Wednesday. That is district wide not just Waverly High School. All but one staff member in Pike County can be traced back to one event. Just FYI

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

People make me sick. Tryin to make a buck off a hs game. I’ve seen on fb some the ticket prices and they are absolutely ridiculous

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

WHS2000grad wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:08 pm I don't know if Waverly has any players in quarantine. According to Pike County General Health District there are 5 Waverly City Schools and 3 that tested positive as of Wednesday. That is district wide not just Waverly High School. All but one staff member in Pike County can be traced back to one event. Just FYI
Yes, Waverly has one unavailable but he hasn’t tested positive. The other player in question game time is from an aggravated injury. He is a two way player and if he can go will probably sit out defense.
As was stated, most of the recent COVID cases was from a single “event” in Pike County, unrelated to school.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:40 pm People make me sick. Tryin to make a buck off a hs game. I’ve seen on fb some the ticket prices and they are absolutely ridiculous
They are already hampered by the attendance factor. Just because they are charging doesn’t necessarily mean they are going to make anything. You don’t have to click and watch. I wish they all did it for this year.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Praying for an injury free game. Got to root for the burg though

Return to “Football”