2020 Waverly 36 - 35 Wheelersburg

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Re: Week 4 Wheelersburg (3-0) at Waverly (3-0)

Post by LetsBeReal »

Waverly has an impressive O-Line and so many athletes. Their defense is much improved. Shanks is now Mobile(ish) but losing Peyton has left a void yet to be adequately filled. Shanks had one of his worst games vs Granville that he’s ever played and still had what most would call a good game. If he plays to his potential it’s hard to see them losing.With this game being so early in the season it’s hard to truly gauge how this game will go. It could be Waverly in a beat down or Wheelersburg taking care of business as usual. This group had a real shot last year at winning. To them. “the burg” is truly seen as beatable this year. But history tells you that Wheelersburg will win. Games like this will really make you hate the Covid Restrictions. I’ve just been fortunate to watch Waverly in person so far. I just hate how so many people will not be able to see this game. I truly enjoy traveling to Wheelersburg and the environment there as well as how you travel and dedication to everything you guys do.I will hate Wheelersburg for 4 quarters but I truly sympathize for your fans and community this season because you guys are what a lot of programs strive to be. Always classy and respectful with how I’ve been treated at your stadium. This could be a great game but a little something will be missing.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

LetsBeReal wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:16 am Waverly has an impressive O-Line and so many athletes. Their defense is much improved. Shanks is now Mobile(ish) but losing Peyton has left a void yet to be adequately filled. Shanks had one of his worst games vs Granville that he’s ever played and still had what most would call a good game. If he plays to his potential it’s hard to see them losing.With this game being so early in the season it’s hard to truly gauge how this game will go. It could be Waverly in a beat down or Wheelersburg taking care of business as usual. This group had a real shot last year at winning. To them. “the burg” is truly seen as beatable this year. But history tells you that Wheelersburg will win. Games like this will really make you hate the Covid Restrictions. I’ve just been fortunate to watch Waverly in person so far. I just hate how so many people will not be able to see this game. I truly enjoy traveling to Wheelersburg and the environment there as well as how you travel and dedication to everything you guys do.I will hate Wheelersburg for 4 quarters but I truly sympathize for your fans and community this season because you guys are what a lot of programs strive to be. Always classy and respectful with how I’ve been treated at your stadium. This could be a great game but a little something will be missing.
Best post on this game so far

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

Burg will pull away by a score of
Burg 42
Waverly 28

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Over the past 10-15 years Waverly always seems to look dominant "coming off of the bus" with huge linemen and athletes on the edges dating back to the Walls/Roback era. The problem is they don't always put it together when the lights come on. This Waverly team is no doubt very dangerous and seem to be physical up front, but it is tough to pick them when it comes to big games. I think think this will be a great game with scoring, athletes all across the field and pads popping everywhere. I think this game comes down to turnovers and special teams. I will take Wheelersburg 38-35, kicking a FG in the fourth to go take the lead and the game. My mind says the pick is Waverly, but my heart cant go against my Pirates in a close one. Here's to healthy and competitive high school football game.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:48 am Over the past 10-15 years Waverly always seems to look dominant "coming off of the bus" with huge linemen and athletes on the edges dating back to the Walls/Roback era. The problem is they don't always put it together when the lights come on. This Waverly team is no doubt very dangerous and seem to be physical up front, but it is tough to pick them when it comes to big games. I think think this will be a great game with scoring, athletes all across the field and pads popping everywhere. I think this game comes down to turnovers and special teams. I will take Wheelersburg 38-35, kicking a FG in the fourth to go take the lead and the game. My mind says the pick is Waverly, but my heart cant go against my Pirates in a close one. Here's to healthy and competitive high school football game.
I think some people are overlooking Burgs ability in this game because of what Waverly brings to the game. But let’s just look at a quick comparison of rankings in each division. Burg sits at top of theirs with a 14.5 average according to joe eitel beating their opponents with +30. Waverly sits at 8th in d4 with a 10 point average with +27 scoring average. According to joe eitel, burgs strength of schedule is better than Waverly. Those statistics should show that burg not only should be in the game but also be considered the favorite.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

A wise man once said " You ain't the CHAMP til you beat the CHAMP and you ain't beat the CHAMP"
I'm going with the champ Burg pounds the ball and flexes it's running game
Burg 31
Waverly 21

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Will be interesting to watch the game inside the game for this one. Will Waverly’s line keep Shanks upright and give him plenty of time in the pocket? Seemed like Burg brought about 5-6 a lot when they played Minford which flushed Lewis out. What will Waverly focus on taking away? The run or pass? My guess is the run. What makes Burg hard to defend is the confusion they try and create. The Tigers have to stay disciplined on D if they wanna win this game. They can’t get caught selling out on a fake sweep or qb read and end up getting beat deep. Burgs passing game is a little different than Waverly’s, but still dangerous and very effective. They don’t just do straight drop backs as much with Gregg like Shanks does, Gregg rolls out a lot and almost seems more comfortably out of the pocket. Burg wants to get the ball out in space with screens and short passes and let Miller and Co. make plays. Only deep shots they seem to take is on a play action where they can get a blown coverage situation. Waverly needs to get in the backfield but more importantly they need to keep contain and not let things get to the outside. I think the Tigers will look to establish a run game early, this could be key in keeping Burgs D more honest and open up the passing a little more. Will be curious to see who is in the rotation for the Tigers at RB. I know Poe will be getting carries but who is that second guy? They went with Hurd the first two games with a little bit of Stulley mixed in. Last week it was Harris getting splitting carries with Poe. I think those two are who will get the nod this week.

sportsfan2244
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan2244 »

BURG!

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:03 pm
oldschoolqb13 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:23 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:50 am

That 89 game was crazy. It was raining sideways the whole game. Would have liked to seen that game played in normal weather. That was the Burg's state championship team so they both were pretty good that year. Isn't that the same year Waverly beat CAPE in the playoffs? Buddy and me picked the Green and I think Trimble game that year instead of going to watch Waverly. For sure picked the wrong game as Green destroyed who they played
Yab, yes that 89 game was crazy and that was the year we beat CAPE and the Pirates got their first chip. It was two powerhouse teams in a heavyweight fight...never every played any athletic event in worse weather in my life. Green was also really good that year...even after we purged their best player in Matt Young. lol

Wait, it was just Burg and Ironton who recruited back then! Lol
Shhhhh.....lol

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I'm seeing all of these high scores and I think Burg needs to control the clock by running the ball and keep Waverly's offense off the field. Burg needs it to be a low scoring game, something around 17-10 or 17-14. Waverly can score quick and Burg will have to prevent that. This Burg defense has given up some big plays but have really stepped up when it mattered. Minford was able to pass on them most of the might but Burg shut them down when needed. They will need to do the same in this game. Bend but don't break. If Burg lets the Waverly WR's get behind them all night this game will get ugly fast for them. If I was Burg I would either just rush 3 and flood the secondary and maybe force Shanks to make some bad throws or send the house and see if they can get pressure on him and force quick passes. If they do blitz a lot you are putting your DB's in a lot of one on one situations and I don't think Burg has the DB's that can do that.

Hopefully I can watch it online or if not, listen to it on the radio. Hate that I can't be there but it is what it is.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Maybe the first time in a while Burg has been even money in a conference game. I look for them to remind people why they are usually a heavy favorite.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:49 am Will be interesting to watch the game inside the game for this one. Will Waverly’s line keep Shanks upright and give him plenty of time in the pocket? Seemed like Burg brought about 5-6 a lot when they played Minford which flushed Lewis out. What will Waverly focus on taking away? The run or pass? My guess is the run. What makes Burg hard to defend is the confusion they try and create. The Tigers have to stay disciplined on D if they wanna win this game. They can’t get caught selling out on a fake sweep or qb read and end up getting beat deep. Burgs passing game is a little different than Waverly’s, but still dangerous and very effective. They don’t just do straight drop backs as much with Gregg like Shanks does, Gregg rolls out a lot and almost seems more comfortably out of the pocket. Burg wants to get the ball out in space with screens and short passes and let Miller and Co. make plays. Only deep shots they seem to take is on a play action where they can get a blown coverage situation. Waverly needs to get in the backfield but more importantly they need to keep contain and not let things get to the outside. I think the Tigers will look to establish a run game early, this could be key in keeping Burgs D more honest and open up the passing a little more. Will be curious to see who is in the rotation for the Tigers at RB. I know Poe will be getting carries but who is that second guy? They went with Hurd the first two games with a little bit of Stulley mixed in. Last week it was Harris getting splitting carries with Poe. I think those two are who will get the nod this week.
Stulley didnt make the trip to Valley so they didnt have that option at RB.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:48 pm I'm seeing all of these high scores and I think Burg needs to control the clock by running the ball and keep Waverly's offense off the field. Burg needs it to be a low scoring game, something around 17-10 or 17-14. Waverly can score quick and Burg will have to prevent that. This Burg defense has given up some big plays but have really stepped up when it mattered. Minford was able to pass on them most of the might but Burg shut them down when needed. They will need to do the same in this game. Bend but don't break. If Burg lets the Waverly WR's get behind them all night this game will get ugly fast for them. If I was Burg I would either just rush 3 and flood the secondary and maybe force Shanks to make some bad throws or send the house and see if they can get pressure on him and force quick passes. If they do blitz a lot you are putting your DB's in a lot of one on one situations and I don't think Burg has the DB's that can do that.

Hopefully I can watch it online or if not, listen to it on the radio. Hate that I can't be there but it is what it is.
Idk if Burg will be streaming, but here is a link for the Waverly stream: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/waverlytigers/

Stream should start around 6:40 I’d say. It does cost $10 for the game. But very good quality and one of the better live streams. They have the score, down and distance, notification for flags and it is commentated pregame, during and post game.

I know most schools are providing the streams for free, so I understand if people don’t want to pay. But I think this one will be worth the $10... if times were normal and everyone could come, you had have to pay $7 for one person in a ticket and paying to park.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

smurray wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:28 pm
MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:49 am Will be interesting to watch the game inside the game for this one. Will Waverly’s line keep Shanks upright and give him plenty of time in the pocket? Seemed like Burg brought about 5-6 a lot when they played Minford which flushed Lewis out. What will Waverly focus on taking away? The run or pass? My guess is the run. What makes Burg hard to defend is the confusion they try and create. The Tigers have to stay disciplined on D if they wanna win this game. They can’t get caught selling out on a fake sweep or qb read and end up getting beat deep. Burgs passing game is a little different than Waverly’s, but still dangerous and very effective. They don’t just do straight drop backs as much with Gregg like Shanks does, Gregg rolls out a lot and almost seems more comfortably out of the pocket. Burg wants to get the ball out in space with screens and short passes and let Miller and Co. make plays. Only deep shots they seem to take is on a play action where they can get a blown coverage situation. Waverly needs to get in the backfield but more importantly they need to keep contain and not let things get to the outside. I think the Tigers will look to establish a run game early, this could be key in keeping Burgs D more honest and open up the passing a little more. Will be curious to see who is in the rotation for the Tigers at RB. I know Poe will be getting carries but who is that second guy? They went with Hurd the first two games with a little bit of Stulley mixed in. Last week it was Harris getting splitting carries with Poe. I think those two are who will get the nod this week.
Stulley didnt make the trip to Valley so they didnt have that option at RB.
Right. Just basing things off of who for sure should be available to play tomorrow night. There are a couple of things that factor into me thinking it might be Harris and Poe. But we’ll see how things are come tomorrow night.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:48 pm I'm seeing all of these high scores and I think Burg needs to control the clock by running the ball and keep Waverly's offense off the field. Burg needs it to be a low scoring game, something around 17-10 or 17-14. Waverly can score quick and Burg will have to prevent that. This Burg defense has given up some big plays but have really stepped up when it mattered. Minford was able to pass on them most of the might but Burg shut them down when needed. They will need to do the same in this game. Bend but don't break. If Burg lets the Waverly WR's get behind them all night this game will get ugly fast for them. If I was Burg I would either just rush 3 and flood the secondary and maybe force Shanks to make some bad throws or send the house and see if they can get pressure on him and force quick passes. If they do blitz a lot you are putting your DB's in a lot of one on one situations and I don't think Burg has the DB's that can do that.

usually i would agree with you on this. I just don't think waverly can stop our running game. we have 4 different kids carrying the ball that can go for 6 on any carry thats why i went 31-21 not 17-7

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Blitz wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:49 pm

usually i would agree with you on this. I just don't think waverly can stop our running game. we have 4 different kids carrying the ball that can go for 6 on any carry thats why i went 31-21 not 17-7
I agree totally with that but i do believe Burg doesn't want to get into a shootout in this game. Burg's running game is strong and I think they can ground 12-15 play drives. Even if they don't score they would eat up a lot of clock.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:21 pm
Blitz wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:49 pm

I agree totally with that but i do believe Burg doesn't want to get into a shootout in this game. Burg's running game is strong and I think they can ground 12-15 play drives. Even if they don't score they would eat up a lot of clock.
Waverly's defense is much stronger and better than last year... not having Stulley and possibly not Wolf available on D will hurt but Waverly is still much better against the run.

Buckeye1972
Freshman Team

Post by Buckeye1972 »

I would like to thank both Waverly and Wheelersburg fans for the excellent posts on this game. They were very informative and showed respect for each other. We need more of that on this site. Good luck to both squads.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

I think Waverly may have the better team, but until they can prove they can beat the Pirates, it's W'burg's too lose. Last year, W'burg had a great game plan and executed it; that was to keep Shoemaker off the field with long sustained drives. Waverly panicked, their play-calling on their last possession was horrendous and cost them the game. I'm calling it for W'burg 35-27.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

vladimir wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:12 pm I think Waverly may have the better team, but until they can prove they can beat the Pirates, it's W'burg's too lose. Last year, W'burg had a great game plan and executed it; that was to keep Shoemaker off the field with long sustained drives. Waverly panicked, their play-calling on their last possession was horrendous and cost them the game. I'm calling it for W'burg 35-27.
The start didn’t help either, the opening possession fumble really hurt.Dictated a lot of the game.

Return to “Football”