2020 Waverly 36 - 35 Wheelersburg

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Re: Week 4 Wheelersburg (3-0) at Waverly (3-0)

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Time for the dogg to strike up the band. 1.. 2.. 3..

We are the Pirates BOLD from Wheelersburg.
We are the Orange and the Black.
We're gonna fight for dear ole Wheelersburg
and our foes will never, ever fight us back.
And pretty soon we'll start that score to roll.
We're gonna put that ball right in the goal.
We're gonna win this game for Wheelersburg, Wheelersburg, rah, rah, rAAaaAh !
FIGHT!!!!

GO BURG!!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Rushing last night at Valley

Waverly Tigers

Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg
--------------------------------------------
Jaxon Poe 14 112 0 112 1 20 8.0
Peyton Harris 9 71 0 71 1 15 7.9
Haydn' Shanks 8 41 9 32 1 19 4.0
Totals... 31 224 9 215 3 20 6.9

Shanks took one 80 yds for a TD but called back for holding. The young man is healthy now and can run...

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:17 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:10 am
greygoose wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:07 am

I've seen just the 1 game for Waverly and was listening a little bit last night. I will tell you this, if you concentrate all your efforts on Futhey and I know he is a HUGE concern, Waverly will score 40 against burg. They're spreading the ball out really well, and have Wolfe back at 100% which they did not have last year in the match up. Looks like the Brown kid has stepped up his game this year as well. It will be interesting to see how Burg takes on this offense as Futhey isn't the guy it runs through, he's just the biggest name and player everyone in the area knows, rightfully so though. Waverly's lack of a running game, or at least the ability to want to run is a concern but something I seen this year was Waverly going under center as well. Will be a great chest match and in one of those I never bet against Burg but i'm just going with the fact waverly has so many weapons it's impossible to say we're going to stop this guy and play 1-1 with a guy like Wolfe or Brown will be a long night if that's the case. Just as I predicted last year i think Burgs best defense is going to be their offense, shortening the game and possessions by Waverly
I doubt burg coaches do that but he’s the one that I believe will cause those one on one matchup nightmares because you have to honor the others. I’m wondering who will have to cover him for burg.
Honestly I picture, and I could be wrong obviously, burg going with more of a zone look with 5 and 6 guys in the zone to cause confusion and hopefully give the pass rushers time to get to Shanks. By doing this they're opening themselves up to the run, however if I'm burg I realize Waverly doesn't have that home run hitter at the RB spot this year and I take my chances that Waverly won't be patient enough to stick with the run to pull Burg out of those zone overages. Also think they'll change the looks around pre-snap to cut down on the early reads for Shanks. Think you'll see a lot of the zone but mixed in with some disguised man coverage to bring pressure.
Oh I’m sure cover zero is out of the question. Although I think the burg coaches will throw it in there. My concern on the zone is loading one side and then isolating Futhey on the other forcing one on one coverage. If burg can control the run with 5 in the box, they have a good chance slowing Waverly down. Then it becomes a cat and mouse game when to apply pressure shanks and from where

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

I have voiced my concerns each week about Waverly needing to find a running game because at some point this season they will need it. And this coming Friday may be one of this games. The Tigers seemed to go with a different starter to begin the game at RB in Peyton Harris. This was his first game getting reps with the 1st string. He looked really good. He ran hard, had patience and is pretty fast when he gets a lane. I know the staff had high hopes for Harris when he came into the program last year and it just took him a bit to adjust to Varsity football. His brother was a very good RB/LB on the 2016 team, looks like Peyton may be following in his footsteps. Poe ran well last night as well, he’s very hard to bring down and usually takes more than one guy to do it. I see these two getting the nod to share carries this week against burg. I was happy with the efforts put into getting a run game going last night and feel a little more comfortable about that aspect of Waverly’s game. But it will be a different level of play come Friday night, so it will be put to the test.

Also, Shanks being able to carry the ball occasionally really adds another wrinkle to the offense. Just don’t want to see him have too many carries as injury risk does go up.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Definitely one of the games i will be streaming friday

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Will not be in state but will be watching this on, easily the game of the week and possible the best game we will have in the regular season in our area. Couldn’t imagine how many people would be at this game if it weren’t for stipulation on capacity

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I don't know what Wheelersburg has, but Waverly is very good. Very fast and very skilled. Their defense will make it very difficult to run anything other than straight power on. West just played Waverly and Minford, who is a good team and the difference was tremendous.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Tommy Chong wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:32 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:08 am
Tommy Chong wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:57 am

Free agency has been kind to the Burg
Unlike some on this board, I’ll be the first to admit that they are better with him. But he came to burg because of two things. Fear of not playing in Kentucky and a girl. Lol.

Having said that this is the first time to my knowledge where a kid is playing for burg that played varsity at another school the previous year.

There are a lot of students who are enrolled at burg that live just outside the district that have been going there since grade school.
Like i said ...
As to "free agency", lets say both schools have benefited over the years.

As to this game, as has been the case in some recent years, Waverly has the best skilled players, and the Burg appears to have the best team, especially in terms of defense, depth, and knowing how to win.

For the Tigers, it is now or never if they are going to beat the Pirates. The game will come down to mistakes and the Pirate's ability to control the line of scrimmage and the clock. As much as I would like to see my old school win, the Burg prevails 28-19.
Last edited by Omega on Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Tommy Chong
Freshman Team

Post by Tommy Chong »

Waverly by 17

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Could we finally have a good game between 2 good teams?

Hope do!

It’s Burg’s until it isn’t

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I could be wrong but I think this Burg team is a lot better than what I thought they were going to be, now seeing how chillicothe has strung a couple of wins together. Waverly is for a battle. Going to be fun to watch.

Tommy Chong
Freshman Team

Post by Tommy Chong »

wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:05 pm I could be wrong but I think this Burg team is a lot better than what I thought they were going to be, now seeing how chillicothe has strung a couple of wins together. Waverly is for a battle. Going to be fun to watch.
Chilli and Minford are bad

Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

I'll start by making my prediction first. I have watched most of every game for both of these teams and I believe Wheelersburg will win this game 35-34 on a Waverly turnover late.

Don't expect Burg to get a lot of pressure on the Waverly QB. The Waverly O line is very good and very experienced and even against the Granville pass rush, Shanks had plenty of time. I also don't think that Burg will be able to control the clock like last year with those outside runs. The Waverly DEs are very much improved. They are long and extremely fast to the ball. Unless they over play a run, Burg won't be controlling the clock outside the tackles. However, the problem I think Waverly will have is stopping the inside run. Also, don't get caught up thinking Waverly can't run the ball. They can and will if they need to. They don't have a guy like Shoemaker was, but they can run it as well as nearly anybody. They haven't needed to yet and have stuck to what they are best at; passing the ball around, short, deep, inside and outside. It's what they are most comfortable with and that is what they do until you stop it.

Now, for why I think Burg will win. Burg seems to have a lot more power than Waverly (other than Waverly's big O line). Waverly is more of a finess team who beats everybody with speed at every position. I think Burg will be able to pound it inside and control the clock. I think Granville would have beat Waverly by 3 scores if they would have given number 8 more inside runs. Second, Waverly seems to make more mistakes than Wheelersburg, at least so far in their games. Burg isn't going to give you a lot second chances if you mess up. They are fundamentally sound and have made very few mistakes this season. Waverly has looked less smooth at times, that is why I picked Burg to win late because of a Waverly turnover.

I think Waverly has the advantage in the passing game, defensive backfield, and O-Line. But Burg is also very good at all of those areas and Burg has the advantage in the running game. Burg plays nearly mistake free and I also think the coaching is better at Burg. The reason that I say that is because last season's game where the Waverly staff did absolutely nothing to stop those basic outside runs that cost them the game. Most importantly, Burg has the psychological advantage. They have owned this league and it's their's until somebody else claims it.

I believe Waverly can win, possibly even by a few scores but I think it will be Burg in a very good game because of a Waverly mistake. Either way, I hope everybody comes away healthy and without any injuries. Both of these teams represent our area and the SOC well and this should be a great game! Good luck to both.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I’m giving Waverly credit but burg is good, actually pretty good. They are three touchdowns better than their team last year.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:05 pm I could be wrong but I think this Burg team is a lot better than what I thought they were going to be, now seeing how chillicothe has strung a couple of wins together. Waverly is for a battle. Going to be fun to watch.
Not saying Chillicothe when it’s all said and done won’t be good but both wins are against (0-3) teams that are a smaller division than them

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Kicker. wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:50 pm Will not be in state but will be watching this on, easily the game of the week and possible the best game we will have in the regular season in our area. Couldn’t imagine how many people would be at this game if it weren’t for stipulation on capacity
This game might have had a crowd like the burg - ironton games always do had it not been for this stupid virus

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

MrFirstTake wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:11 pm
Not saying Chillicothe when it’s all said and done won’t be good but both wins are against (0-3) teams that are a smaller division than them
Hillsboro only scored 6 points against Western Brown, who has given up 81.5 points per game in their last two games. So, I wouldn’t suggest that Chillicothe just beat a good team last night

I think Waverly wins this one by a score.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:43 pm I’m giving Waverly credit but burg is good, actually pretty good. They are three touchdowns better than their team last year.
I think this years team is much better than last years. Last years team just never had a Qb. The Gregg kid is pretty good. He’s usually on the money. They don’t have a Mathews or Holden but they have a bunch of kids that can play. The good thing for burg fans is there pretty young.

82nd
Freshman Team

Post by 82nd »

oh this should be great, will it be online somewhere?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

danicalifornia wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:35 pm
MrFirstTake wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:11 pm
Hillsboro only scored 6 points against Western Brown, who has given up 81.5 points per game in their last two games. So, I wouldn’t suggest that Chillicothe just beat a good team last night

I think Waverly wins this one by a score.
I understand that but they blanked them and they did win two in a row afterwards. So while it may not be a great opponent win, it’s still solid. So far it’s the best win percentage in D5 as per joe eitel

Return to “Football”