Chaos In Ohio Football...Season On The Brink

Toz15
Waterboy

Re: Chaos In Ohio Football...Season On The Brink

Post by Toz15 »

Interesting to what happens in the spring if there isn't football.

Not sure if its been mentioned. But the NCAA would have to increase the scholarship limits. Not every school has 7,8,9 guys leave a year for the NFL... even if they do there could still be more than a dozen or so seniors not leaving. If they're not taking eligibility from players, and they won't, you won't be able to sign kids from the 2021 HS class without going over the limit. Also, this never goes away. If you miss an entire season of football and don't strip eligibility from existing players or penalize this years incoming freshmen, you'll always have an "extra" class in your program every year moving forward.

Can?... will? every FBS "fully" fund football moving forward? Meaning add possibly an additional of $1M+ in scholarships costs to their programs?

I'll bet this years situation moves the FCS/FBS more toward what goes on in D2/NAIA football. Where not every team fully funding the allotment of scholarships they're allowed to offer. Less parody.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Toz15 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:50 am Interesting to what happens in the spring if there isn't football.

Not sure if its been mentioned. But the NCAA would have to increase the scholarship limits. Not every school has 7,8,9 guys leave a year for the NFL... even if they do there could still be more than a dozen or so seniors not leaving. If they're not taking eligibility from players, and they won't, you won't be able to sign kids from the 2021 HS class without going over the limit. Also, this never goes away. If you miss an entire season of football and don't strip eligibility from existing players or penalize this years incoming freshmen, you'll always have an "extra" class in your program every year moving forward.

Can?... will? every FBS "fully" fund football moving forward? Meaning add possibly an additional of $1M+ in scholarships costs to their programs?

I'll bet this years situation moves the FCS/FBS more toward what goes on in D2/NAIA football. Where not every team fully funding the allotment of scholarships they're allowed to offer. Less parody.
It'll end up being at the discretion of the school. As you stated this would only effect the seniors on the team. Back when spring sports were canceled they said everyone would get a year of eligibility. Wisconsin however came out and said this will not happen, the seniors have gotten the degrees and education and it was time to move on. Alvarez said while it's great it simply complicates everything with scholarships and with the incoming freshman and overall scholarship numbers they're allotted.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:30 am March- "Just 2 weeks to flatten the curve!"
April- "We have more cases!" (even though they tested 100x more people)
May- "We MIGHT reopen the economy but only if you follow these stupid guidelines and see how easy manipulated you people are!"
June- "This virus is so bad that you might not even know you have it!"
July- "The vacationers are ruining it for everyone! No...no....BLM /Atifa protests have nothing to do with the rise in cases. Its all the vacationers!"
August- "We have to have mail in voting! Its too dangerous to be around each other". Meanwhile people are communing in groves at Walmart, Kroger, Lowes. The virus doesnt go there. Oh....and you cant get a drink after 10pm. Its just too dangerous.
Teachers: "We cannot risk our health to go back to school"....meanwhile every hospital worker, retail worker, food worker wants to punch that teacher in the face.

Cases are up because they are testing anyone and everyone. Antibodies in your system? That counts as a new case also. Been tested positive 4 times? That is 4 more cases in most places. Dying of cancer but tested positive for Covid? Yep thats a Covid death.

The real question is: Why are we being so stupid and putting up with it?
Well said Red!! Welcome to indoctrination.

AT THE RESERVATION
Football_fanatic
Waterboy

Post by Football_fanatic »

A tweet from Eric Franz of Max Preps: "Despite Big 10 & MAC shutdowns, based on what I'm hearing, there is real reason to believe that Ohio Gov. DeWine will approve school v. school competition for contact HS sports Thurs. Great news for FB & SOC at all youth levels. Lt. Gov. Husted in favor. As are others..."

This is very positive news. Hopefully it all works out.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Like I have said since I heard the six game thing, they are going to play!
I am so glad for the kids after so many got screwed in the spring.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Do not count your chickens yet. North Carolina postpones to a shortened spring season.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... r-BB17SNss

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Even if they start a 6 game season, I'm not sure it can be finished.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

There are some weird odd people on this board. We have a glimpse of hope and people come on here as if they want it shut down. Unbelievable

Thanos
Freshman Team

Post by Thanos »

I do not think it is that I just believe a certain set of people are trying to plan for the worse, and hoping for the best. Just a crazy time, with fickle leadership. Either way these boys need to play. Most have been putting in the work all their lives for this opportunity. Imagine looking into a senior's eyes that has been waiting his time to play QB for his school, and the time that he does the season is canceled. Thinking about it is nauseating, and quite frankly depressing. I am a firm believer, that if WE would have done what we needed to as a society during the months of April and May this wouldn't be an issue. Then add the protesting, all equals a recipe for disaster and depression. Let's not forget, STURGIS biker rally is going on for two weeks. I predict another surge in the next few weeks due to that rally as well.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Would love to see football but at the same time if being in the school is unsafe then being together on the football field is unsafe. Really can't have it both ways.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I guess I don't see that argument. What is the difference of kids practicing now, compared to playing games in a couple of weeks? What is the difference of kids being around each other at school and being with each other at their friend's house, which is what is happening?

I mean it's as if the argument is we are going to be doing this blindly. Precautions are being taken.

As far as teachers, they may need to realize that their profession is different now and are going to be considered an essential worker like a nurse, or therapist. These kids need education. I can go out and work in the hospital and nursing homes to care for people, why can't they? They are essentially caring for their students.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Thanos wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:42 am I do not think it is that I just believe a certain set of people are trying to plan for the worse, and hoping for the best. Just a crazy time, with fickle leadership. Either way these boys need to play. Most have been putting in the work all their lives for this opportunity. Imagine looking into a senior's eyes that has been waiting his time to play QB for his school, and the time that he does the season is canceled. Thinking about it is nauseating, and quite frankly depressing. I am a firm believer, that if WE would have done what we needed to as a society during the months of April and May this wouldn't be an issue. Then add the protesting, all equals a recipe for disaster and depression. Let's not forget, STURGIS biker rally is going on for two weeks. I predict another surge in the next few weeks due to that rally as well.
None of that stuff means anything. Why people believe that this will magically go away with social distancing isn't thinking clearly. There will be flare ups. What are we going to do? Stay in the house forever?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:33 am There are some weird odd people on this board. We have a glimpse of hope and people come on here as if they want it shut down. Unbelievable
Well if you look some of them have had zero discussion about any topic and simply post a sentence with no informational backup.

Syntax
Riding the Bench

Post by Syntax »

Dewine/ Husted Press Conference at 2pm today.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

With this, who knows? Columbus City Schools backs out of fall sports and extracurricular activities.

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/c ... activities

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Syntax wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:47 am Dewine/ Husted Press Conference at 2pm today.
Remaining hopeful.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

My thought is if they have a season which I think it will happen why not do 10 games. You can do 6 games and opt out of playoffs and play 4 more or possibly play games if you are eliminated early. These rules and guidelines make no sense. If you are having a season just leave it alone. I was one of the people who didn’t think a season would happen but if you are going to do 6 why not 10. Limited people and randomly test. The little rules is the most frustrating. Open everything wear a mask. Football approved so 6 games. I want this year over lol.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:30 pm My thought is if they have a season which I think it will happen why not do 10 games. You can do 6 games and opt out of playoffs and play 4 more or possibly play games if you are eliminated early. These rules and guidelines make no sense. If you are having a season just leave it alone. I was one of the people who didn’t think a season would happen but if you are going to do 6 why not 10. Limited people and randomly test. The little rules is the most frustrating. Open everything wear a mask. Football approved so 6 games. I want this year over lol.
I get what you're saying but I think the thinking behind it is

1. Try to get the season over sooner with a champion.
2. If teams remain healthy they can try to get in a regular season with or without playoffs.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

wobycat wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:27 am
Thanos wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:42 am I do not think it is that I just believe a certain set of people are trying to plan for the worse, and hoping for the best. Just a crazy time, with fickle leadership. Either way these boys need to play. Most have been putting in the work all their lives for this opportunity. Imagine looking into a senior's eyes that has been waiting his time to play QB for his school, and the time that he does the season is canceled. Thinking about it is nauseating, and quite frankly depressing. I am a firm believer, that if WE would have done what we needed to as a society during the months of April and May this wouldn't be an issue. Then add the protesting, all equals a recipe for disaster and depression. Let's not forget, STURGIS biker rally is going on for two weeks. I predict another surge in the next few weeks due to that rally as well.
None of that stuff means anything. Why people believe that this will magically go away with social distancing isn't thinking clearly. There will be flare ups. What are we going to do? Stay in the house forever?
As I have said all along- there is no CURE for a virus. There is no vaccine you can take that guarantees you will not get it. Everyone will get this at some point in time and many have already had it (and dont even know it because the symptoms in many are that minor).

People who are scared, highly susceptible, etc., should stay home. The rest of us have a right to live our lives outside this fabricated bubble of fear that is being spewed at us from people behind their agendas.

"Those who live in fear have already died".

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Syntax wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:47 am Dewine/ Husted Press Conference at 2pm today.
Apparently nothing definitive about hs sports today. Perhaps tomorrow?

Return to “Football”