Changing Mascots?

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: Changing Mascots?

Post by loganlocos »

I don't think Logan would "have" to change the nickname "Chieftains" - but they may decide to stop using Native American iconography - i.e. spears, feathers, tomahawks, drawings/caricature etc.

"Chieftain" is a generic term for leader. Logan could choose to keep "Chieftain" but not use the same symbols/logos.

Warren does this. They are the "Warriors" but have used a Pegasus as a log instead of spears, tomahawks, caricatures, etc.

I know for sure that Logan didn't put a tomahawk, spear, or Chieftain head on the field at the new stadium as a precaution of having to remove it later. Or at least that was one reason.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Izladoom wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:59 pm I went to valley my whole life I been a valley Indian but if they decide to change it that’s ok I’ll still support the school in the end it’s just a name
Yeah, I'm thinking these days there are more people who have become indifferent if the name changes. After all, it's a mascot- change is generally welcomed. This topic of "what mascot is the next to change" is just propped up for no reason. A logo can be changed or done without.

Rvfan
Freshman Team

Post by Rvfan »

Edmond Dantes wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:23 pm River Valley took their Raiders name from a confederate general.
They have a huge mural of him in his confederate uniform on their gym wall.
Not anymore, they painted over it last school year.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Names like Redmen, and Big Blacks will have to go. Indians, Warriors, Chiefs, etc are fine b/c that's not talking about the color of someone's skin and making a mockery of it.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

vladimir wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:12 pm Names like Redmen, and Big Blacks will have to go. Indians, Warriors, Chiefs, etc are fine b/c that's not talking about the color of someone's skin and making a mockery of it.
How do you associate Big Blacks as racist? Lol.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I think I read somewhere PP is now called the "Black Knights ?

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

cbolt wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:55 pm I think I read somewhere PP is now called the "Black Knights ?
Good move on the part of the Point Pleasant, WV admin.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

loganlocos wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:27 amWarren does this. They are the "Warriors" but have used a Pegasus as a log instead of spears, tomahawks, caricatures, etc.
Yes, Warren’s warrior is a gladiator type (riding the Pegasus in some imagery).

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

loganlocos wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:27 am I don't think Logan would "have" to change the nickname "Chieftains" - but they may decide to stop using Native American iconography - i.e. spears, feathers, tomahawks, drawings/caricature etc.

"Chieftain" is a generic term for leader. Logan could choose to keep "Chieftain" but not use the same symbols/logos.

Warren does this. They are the "Warriors" but have used a Pegasus as a log instead of spears, tomahawks, caricatures, etc.

I know for sure that Logan didn't put a tomahawk, spear, or Chieftain head on the field at the new stadium as a precaution of having to remove it later. Or at least that was one reason.

Locos is TheRe an emblem on the helmet ? A spear or tomahawk Of some sort ? Or am I wrong for saying that ??

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

countywide35 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:54 pm
loganlocos wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:27 am I don't think Logan would "have" to change the nickname "Chieftains" - but they may decide to stop using Native American iconography - i.e. spears, feathers, tomahawks, drawings/caricature etc.

Locos is TheRe an emblem on the helmet ? A spear or tomahawk Of some sort ? Or am I wrong for saying that ??
A spear on the helmet. An L on the field.

The small tomahawks are awards.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

cbolt wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:55 pm I think I read somewhere PP is now called the "Black Knights ?
Their mascot is Black Knights but they go by Big Blacks. I get it’s the horse a knight rides but it doesn’t sound good

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

After this summer I bet that is gone pretty quick, raider. If not they might be getting a visit from blm.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Point Pleasant has been the Black Knights for as long as I remember. Yes, I know they also go by Big Blacks.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Black is a color.

It's no different than when Warren chants "Go Big Blue."

It's not like they use some offensive imagery. The icons and symbols that go along with it are as important as the name.

Hence why "Warriors" can be okay or problematic.

Marquette dropped Warriors years ago. But I don't think there is any reason for Warren to feel threatened. Again because of the imagery used with it.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Yes. Logan uses a spear (like Florida State) and has "Tomahawk" award stickers. They also have a "Chieftain Head" in a head dress on the basketball court and as an official school logo.

I definitely think there could come a day where all that has to go. Maybe the school could reach out to the Mingo tribe (now Senec-Cayuga Nation officially) about an official arrangement. Chief Logan was a Mingo (the Mingo were an Iroquois tribe in the Ohio Country).

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Locos, I know some Logan fans that won't mind if they get rid of the spear on the helmet. :lol: I forgot about the Chieftain head on the B-ball court. It will suck if they have to get rid of it as the School official logo as well. Crazy. Everything/logo's are for "honoring" Chief Logan.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I guess the Poca Dots got it right....one of the few nicknames that would be hard pressed to not be offensive to someone.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Raider6309 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:46 pm
Their mascot is Black Knights but they go by Big Blacks. I get it’s the horse a knight rides but it doesn’t sound good

:lol: :lol: :lol: We are officially at the edge!! Come on, man.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

loganlocos wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:18 am
Yes. Logan uses a spear (like Florida State) and has "Tomahawk" award stickers. They also have a "Chieftain Head" in a head dress on the basketball court and as an official school logo.

I definitely think there could come a day where all that has to go. Maybe the school could reach out to the Mingo tribe (now Senec-Cayuga Nation officially) about an official arrangement. Chief Logan was a Mingo (the Mingo were an Iroquois tribe in the Ohio Country).

Ur always detail oriented and full of facts.

The second paragraph answered my next to be question if you felt that at some point this would come to
Criticism.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:19 pm Locos, I know some Logan fans that won't mind if they get rid of the spear on the helmet. :lol: I forgot about the Chieftain head on the B-ball court. It will suck if they have to get rid of it as the School official logo as well. Crazy. Everything/logo's are for "honoring" Chief Logan.

Trench I feel that all the symbols/logos would be “honoring” as well.

But locos is Right.

Even if critics do not initially come out regarding it.

I see Logan being Logan and will be proactive in the matter and eliminate an issue before ever allowing it to become one.

Return to “Football”