SOC 2 talk. Any surprising teams?

Westfan
SEOP

Re: SOC 2 talk. Any surprising teams?

Post by Westfan »

Minford did loose some excellent players but return an excellent quarterback and some weapons.

Oak Hill I believe started about all seniors at the skill positions last year

West will be compete much better this year. Alot of young talent in the system and several got experience last year as Freshmen.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

1. Burg: champs until somebody takes it from them.
2. Waverly: know they can score points...can their defense stop good teams?
3. Minford: still have best player in league and some other playmakers back.
4. Valley: year away from competing for league crown.
5. West: 2 years away from being near top of league again.
6. Oak Hill: overachieved last year...some rough years coming in this league.

Anybody heard anything on Northwest coming back up to SOC II for 2021 season? And if so, anybody dropping down (Oak Hill might make sense).*

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

There was talk that Northwest may be made to move up and they should be. Their numbers and talent level far exceed the other SOCI schools. The problem Northwest will have is the best class they have for football now and for the foreseeable future is gonna be juniors in the fall. So they would really only have 1 year left and even though their talent level in 2021 would be on par with the other SOCII schools, they are not being prepared to make that jump playing against these smaller schools.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

art_vandelay wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:57 am 1. Burg: champs until somebody takes it from them.

Anybody heard anything on Northwest coming back up to SOC II for 2021 season? And if so, anybody dropping down (Oak Hill might make sense).*
Not sure about West being that close to the top of the league, agree about Oak Hill overachieving this past year, lost what talent they did have, look for some very rough years in the coming years in the SOC-2, not only in football but in basketball as well.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Westfan wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:57 pm There was talk that Northwest may be made to move up and they should be. Their numbers and talent level far exceed the other SOCI schools. The problem Northwest will have is the best class they have for football now and for the foreseeable future is gonna be juniors in the fall. So they would really only have 1 year left and even though their talent level in 2021 would be on par with the other SOCII schools, they are not being prepared to make that jump playing against these smaller schools.
Don't necessarily agree with your northwest assessment as they had something around 44 freshman and sophomore on the team and still good numbers coming up in junior high. Given the money they've put into the place it would seem like they'd want to move back up to increase gate profits.

The Regulator
Riding the Bench

Post by The Regulator »

wobycat wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:15 pm
Larry Fine wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:07 pm
wobycat wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:20 pm Minford will have a couple of playmakers but I wonder about their line and depth.

Burg will be a little better overall this year but won't have the "go to guy"

West is probably a year or two away

Waverly will be like a minford.

Northwest and Oak Hill, Im not sure of.
Burg won’t be better
Yes, They will.
No way Burg replaces all those seniors and will be better. Burg had all that depth last year but if you watch any of there games from last year they had a lot of players going both ways and most of them were seniors. 7-3 at best 6-4 a reality.

The Regulator
Riding the Bench

Post by The Regulator »

fbnut wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:19 pm
Larry Fine wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:27 pm

Yes, They will.
We’ll see. You lost a legit playmaker, actually 2 playmakers.
Burg might not have a Mathews this year but they will have more playmakers this year than last year
Burgs offense was very limited last year
Wow, that's a slap in the face to the Horsley kid. I watched Burg play 3 times last year and the games I saw he was the work horse that pounded out yardage after yardage and carried the offense for the most part

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

The Regulator wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:09 pm
Larry Fine wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:07 pm

Burg won’t be better
Yes, They will.
No way Burg replaces all those seniors and will be better. Burg had all that depth last year but if you watch any of there games from last year they had a lot of players going both ways and most of them were seniors. 7-3 at best 6-4 a reality.
Lol. Burg won’t be any better but probably will have a 7-3 record. The record they had last year. The Ashland game is the only game I don’t think they have a chance in only because I’m skeptical of a fair shake over there. Ironton never gets one there.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

greygoose wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:57 pm
Westfan wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:57 pm There was talk that Northwest may be made to move up and they should be. Their numbers and talent level far exceed the other SOCI schools. The problem Northwest will have is the best class they have for football now and for the foreseeable future is gonna be juniors in the fall. So they would really only have 1 year left and even though their talent level in 2021 would be on par with the other SOCII schools, they are not being prepared to make that jump playing against these smaller schools.
Don't necessarily agree with your northwest assessment as they had something around 44 freshman and sophomore on the team and still good numbers coming up in junior high. Given the money they've put into the place it would seem like they'd want to move back up to increase gate profits.
I was told there is talented groups all the way down to the youth level. I remember there being talk of them possibly going back up to SOC II year after next, but if true do you move someone else down or try to add another SOC I school for football.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

VetteMan wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:43 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:57 am 1. Burg: champs until somebody takes it from them.

Not sure about West being that close to the top of the league, agree about Oak Hill overachieving this past year, lost what talent they did have, look for some very rough years in the coming years in the SOC-2, not only in football but in basketball as well.

He had West 5th out of 6 lol
My opinion they compete very well with Minford and Wheelersburg this year and finish 1st or 2nd in the league for a few years after that.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

In 2 years, West will be near the top. Still too young right now, but its coming.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

I agree that Oak Hill has some rough years coming in all sports. But they might still have enough to contend with everyone outside of the top 2 next year. They return a lot from a defensive front that got into everyone’s backfield last year, and their offensive system is so different than the rest of the conference teams that it can be tough to stop.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SiderBlood wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:51 pm

In 2 years, West will be near the top. Still too young right now, but its coming.
I agree. They have a good freshman through 7 th

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

SiderBlood wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:51 pm

Agreed...West junior high teams had size and athletes. 7th graders coming in this year have some real good athletes as well. West gonna get better next 2 years and have legitimate shot at SOC II championship again starting in 2022.*

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

art_vandelay wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:38 pm
Agreed...West junior high teams had size and athletes. 7th graders coming in this year have some real good athletes as well. West gonna get better next 2 years and have legitimate shot at SOC II championship again starting in 2022.*
2021 they will be really good and have a legitimate shot of advancing far in the playoffs. They will have experience, size, and lots of speed. Youth and just lack of physical maturity will probably limit this year but they will give teams fits and could surprise some people

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Valley will surprise some teams if they can stay healthy. They started like 6 freshmen last year including a great wr and rb. They might be a few years away from challenging burg but will be fun to watch.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Dont know when they will be moving back up, should be soon. The junior to be class is good, the sophomore class has some good pieces too, several of those kids seen alot of Varsity time last year, with a few starting. Alot of people think the incoming freshman class is the most athletic class out of the bunch, just dont have much size. The class in front and behind them do have size. The classes should all mix well together and should be pretty good in the future. They will have to put in the work though.

I know there was several kids at West last year that didn't play. Some of them was good players. Are those kids going to play this year. If so they will really help.
The future down at West looks pretty bright.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

wobycat wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:55 pm
Westfan wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:37 pm
wobycat wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:59 am
Waverly had their best team last year and didn’t pull it off. Burg will be better this year. I’ve been around the program a long time. Last year’s team outside of Matthews wasn’t a very good team. Their other best player left and horsley was hurt. I agree Waverly is the best equipped to take burg but until they do, it’s burg
Everyone has an opinion. Waverly has a college quarterback who was probably 60% last year because he had no mobility, a possible D1 reciever, and several other athletes.

Who are these players who are gonna be better for Wheelersburg? They had the one running back that got hurt who is supposed to be pretty good and Miller was hurt. For the last 3 years you had to know where Holden and Mathews were and skeem accordingly because they were the best players on the field. Horsley was a very underrated player.
I said They will be better overall. It’s hard to replace Matthews and Holden, I agree. As far as Waverly, yes they have a great QB and a legit receiver but they took a hit on their line and until they can prove they can defend burg, then I’m going with burg.
How did Waverly take a hit on their line? The entire starting line is back.
I do agree though l, Waverly has to stop people on Defense..
People are talking about a healthy Shanks throwing to Futhey (and that is legit) but don’t forget Waverly will have at least 4 other huge targets to throw to with a nice committee at back and an entire starting offense line back who did a great job last year....

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

smurray wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:45 pm
Westfan wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:37 pm

Everyone has an opinion. Waverly has a college quarterback who was probably 60% last year because he had no mobility, a possible D1 reciever, and several other athletes.

Who are these players who are gonna be better for Wheelersburg? They had the one running back that got hurt who is supposed to be pretty good and Miller was hurt. For the last 3 years you had to know where Holden and Mathews were and skeem accordingly because they were the best players on the field. Horsley was a very underrated player.
I said They will be better overall. It’s hard to replace Matthews and Holden, I agree. As far as Waverly, yes they have a great QB and a legit receiver but they took a hit on their line and until they can prove they can defend burg, then I’m going with burg.
People are talking about a healthy Shanks throwing to Futhey (and that is legit) but don’t forget Waverly will have at least 4 other huge targets to throw to with a nice committee at back and an entire starting offense line back who did a great job last year....
My bad. I thought Waverly was senior heavy last year on the line.

Larry Fine
JV Team

Post by Larry Fine »

wobycat wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:24 pm
smurray wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:45 pm

My bad. I thought Waverly was senior heavy last year on the line.
No that was Wheelersburg

Return to “Football”