6th Annual Debate about PowerCleans and Football

datchillicav
JV Team

Re: 6th Annual Debate about PowerCleans and Football

Post by datchillicav »

glider14 wrote:
datchillicav wrote:On 6 week cycles start with low weight and between 8-10 reps for 4-5 sets. Slowly work your way towards maybe 2X4 and 3X3 with about 85% of your max.

Also do a progression to teach proper form. Begin with Jump shrugs that start light and work heavy over a 4 week period. Once the jump shrug technique is perfected, advance to high pulls for 4-6 weeks and then finally to a hang clean. I would teach hang cleans before power cleans so that the athlete doesn't get into the habit of pulling with the back on the first lift phase. For very seasoned lifters a power snatch can be taught but it is VERY HARD and DANGEROUS if not performed correctly so I would not really recommend it for any high schoolers.

according to the BFS(Bigger Faster Stronger) program doing anymore than 5 reps of cleans or deadlift in a single set is NOT good for you.

BFS is for experienced lifters. For an experienced lifter I couldn't agree more. For a beginner though, I would start with lower weight and work my way down. For someone who has been doing cleans for a while and knows what they're doing I would never do more than 5 or 6 either though.

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Re: 6th Annual Debate about PowerCleans and Football

Post by Wings Teaford »

datchillicav wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:32 pm
glider14 wrote:
datchillicav wrote:On 6 week cycles start with low weight and between 8-10 reps for 4-5 sets. Slowly work your way towards maybe 2X4 and 3X3 with about 85% of your max.

Also do a progression to teach proper form. Begin with Jump shrugs that start light and work heavy over a 4 week period. Once the jump shrug technique is perfected, advance to high pulls for 4-6 weeks and then finally to a hang clean. I would teach hang cleans before power cleans so that the athlete doesn't get into the habit of pulling with the back on the first lift phase. For very seasoned lifters a power snatch can be taught but it is VERY HARD and DANGEROUS if not performed correctly so I would not really recommend it for any high schoolers.
according to the BFS(Bigger Faster Stronger) program doing anymore than 5 reps of cleans or deadlift in a single set is NOT good for you.
BFS is for experienced lifters. For an experienced lifter I couldn't agree more. For a beginner though, I would start with lower weight and work my way down. For someone who has been doing cleans for a while and knows what they're doing I would never do more than 5 or 6 either though.
This is from back when we was going undefeated in Jr High every year. We didn't do them clings, but the high school did. I think that's whey they couldn't win. We finally got control of the high school boys and we ain't doin em no more, and we lifting in the Junk Yard. I can see some big seasons coming up due to this new program that we was doin with the young'ens back then.

Run the FB Belly and cram it up ther poop shoot!

Return to “Football”