Unioto Football Coach? Anyone know anything?

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Unioto Football Coach? Anyone know anything?

Post by mattash »

Triplet or Gifford would be good fits.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Hoops has coached junior high football for a long time.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

smurray wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:50 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:02 pm
se-alum wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:55 am Heard long before Metzler announced he was leaving that Hoops would be taking the job. We'll see.
Hoops? The basketball coach at Unioto?
Will he be coaching both basketball and football?
As i heard it...yes

RShifko
Riding the Bench

Post by RShifko »

Matt Hoops would do a great job as the head football coach at Unioto. Matt has done a wonderful job coaching junior high football for a long time. He has a great football mind and kids play hard for him.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Has anyone ever coached football and basketball same yeAr? (Head coach)

Michael Scott
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

mattash wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:28 pm Has anyone ever coached football and basketball same yeAr? (Head coach)
Miller HS has this arrangement. Sean Bartley has led both programs the past 2-3 years, at least.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

That's dedication

Michael Scott
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

mattash wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:28 pm Has anyone ever coached football and basketball same yeAr? (Head coach)
I played for a head coach back in the early 70's that was head coach from 67-74 in all 3 major sports (football, basketball and baseball). You don't see that anymore. :D

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Excellent job by Metzler at Unioto. 3 playoff appearances by Unioto under his realm. That increased Uniotos playoff appearances by 300%.
Metzler coached me as a freshman at Chillicothe. Very smart and knowledgeable. and he instilled discipline.

I would look internal. OC?

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

smurray wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:50 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:02 pm
se-alum wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:55 am Heard long before Metzler announced he was leaving that Hoops would be taking the job. We'll see.
Hoops? The basketball coach at Unioto?
Will he be coaching both basketball and football?
I would assume so. He was the Jr. High football coach the last couple years I believe.

RShifko
Riding the Bench

Post by RShifko »

Would have to assume internal candidates from Metzler staff that would post would be OC- Brian Netter and WR coach Bill Adkins.

Rattlesnake19
Waterboy

Post by Rattlesnake19 »

I heard Alan Preston the old Huntington Coach and now Miami Trace Assistant wants to apply.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Does anyone know if they've started taking applications or if people are contacting the AD to enquire about the position??

joeboggs1
JV Team

Post by joeboggs1 »

Hoops' name won't be the only eye catching name to emerge, unless they don't open it up to the outside. Anyone know if their union contract allows them to hire from the outside if there is internal interest? I'm not real clear on how those sorts of things work.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

joeboggs1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:44 pm Hoops' name won't be the only eye catching name to emerge, unless they don't open it up to the outside. Anyone know if their union contract allows them to hire from the outside if there is internal interest? I'm not real clear on how those sorts of things work.

I know at some schools if someone internal as in a teacher will have main priority over an outsider

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

If Hoops gets the football job you can bet your rear ends I’ll be the next basketball coach.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

mlittle wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:46 pm If Hoops gets the football job you can bet your rear ends I’ll be the next basketball coach.
You'll also be able to move into that junior high coaching position also.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I understand people saying Hoops already coaches Jr. High football but being the Head Coach for H.S. football and basketball seems to me to be way too much on his plate. I know what Crabtree and Robertson puts in at Waverly and I can’t imagine one of them doing both. The hours and dedication to one of those sports is enough....

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

smurray wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:13 pm I understand people saying Hoops already coaches Jr. High football but being the Head Coach for H.S. football and basketball seems to me to be way too much on his plate. I know what Crabtree and Robertson puts in at Waverly and I can’t imagine one of them doing both. The hours and dedication to one of those sports is enough....
Yeah in this day in age, where more and more is asked of football players and coaches I can't imagine someone doing both full-time and doing it well. Football is over for a lot of teams but they'll start hitting the weight room within the next month or so, that's if they haven't started in already. This is right during basketball time, so unless he's going to leave it up to his assistants to go through workouts and start installing his new schemes I just don't see how he'll have the time to do both. One of the teams is going to get shorted and just like when basketball is over and summer practices start up for football the open gyms start for basketball and some teams play in a league for the month of June. Just not seeing it without giving basketball up. Think with what Unioto experienced this year and the step back they had for a program that went into the season with VERY high expectations not just from within the organization but from the outsiders looking in, I think they'd be better off getting someone from the outside. Get a fresh face in front of these kids with new ideas and hopefully take that next step.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

greygoose wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:20 pm
smurray wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:13 pm I understand people saying Hoops already coaches Jr. High football but being the Head Coach for H.S. football and basketball seems to me to be way too much on his plate. I know what Crabtree and Robertson puts in at Waverly and I can’t imagine one of them doing both. The hours and dedication to one of those sports is enough....
Yeah in this day in age, where more and more is asked of football players and coaches I can't imagine someone doing both full-time and doing it well. Football is over for a lot of teams but they'll start hitting the weight room within the next month or so, that's if they haven't started in already. This is right during basketball time, so unless he's going to leave it up to his assistants to go through workouts and start installing his new schemes I just don't see how he'll have the time to do both. One of the teams is going to get shorted and just like when basketball is over and summer practices start up for football the open gyms start for basketball and some teams play in a league for the month of June. Just not seeing it without giving basketball up. Think with what Unioto experienced this year and the step back they had for a program that went into the season with VERY high expectations not just from within the organization but from the outsiders looking in, I think they'd be better off getting someone from the outside. Get a fresh face in front of these kids with new ideas and hopefully take that next step.
Ya, just doesn’t make sense.

Return to “Football”