Week 12: WOOD BURG

piratepride86
JV Team

Re: Week 12: WOOD BURG

Post by piratepride86 »

i have a question for Ridgewood fans ?
Im not trying to start any bs i just don't know,
What is the significance of the sledge hammer?

Raycharles
Freshman Team

Post by Raycharles »

piratepride86 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:25 pm i have a question for Ridgewood fans ?
Silver Hammer defense. It started way back in the 80’s 90’s. The coach use to call it that and just stayed.

I’m your Huckleberry

WOODSHED
hammer89
Freshman Team

Post by hammer89 »

Raycharles wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:03 pm
piratepride86 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:25 pm i have a question for Ridgewood fans ?
Silver Hammer defense. It started way back in the 80’s 90’s. The coach use to call it that and just stayed.
Yep 85 team only gave up 42 points all year long.

Raycharles
Freshman Team

Post by Raycharles »

hammer89 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:17 pm
Chucky McMasters

I’m your Huckleberry

WOODSHED
hammer89
Freshman Team

Post by hammer89 »

Raycharles wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:22 pm
hammer89 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:17 pm
Chucky McMasters
Amici's owner knows that team well. He was the QB.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Haven't been to Lancaster since week 12 in 2001. Licking Valley sent us home in OT after getting 12 shots at the endzone after 2 pass interference calls. Great game though, and Jo Jo Parker had one of the best runs I ever saw at any level of football. Hopefully Matthews and company will make some magic of their own this week. Either way I'll be there to support my fellow Scioto County brethren, hopefully you guys give me somewhere to go next week, I really don't want to be forced to root for Ironton :p

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:30 pm Haven't been to Lancaster since week 12 in 2001. Licking Valley sent us home in OT after getting 12 shots at the endzone after 2 pass interference calls. Great game though, and Jo Jo Parker had one of the best runs I ever saw at any level of football. Hopefully Matthews and company will make some magic of their own this week. Either way I'll be there to support my fellow Scioto County brethren, hopefully you guys give me somewhere to go next week, I really don't want to be forced to root for Ironton :p

I was at that game with Alabama Mike. JoJo's run that game was spectacular.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

So we meet again: Pirates play Generals in Region 19 semi

by Paul Boggs https://seohiopreps.com/football/so-we-meet-again/

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
TrojanTru
Waterboy

Post by TrojanTru »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:00 pm
portsmouth_98 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:30 pm Haven't been to Lancaster since week 12 in 2001. Licking Valley sent us home in OT after getting 12 shots at the endzone after 2 pass interference calls. Great game though, and Jo Jo Parker had one of the best runs I ever saw at any level of football. Hopefully Matthews and company will make some magic of their own this week. Either way I'll be there to support my fellow Scioto County brethren, hopefully you guys give me somewhere to go next week, I really don't want to be forced to root for Ironton :p

I was at that game with Alabama Mike. JoJo's run that game was spectacular.

I too remember that game, that run, and all those darn milk jugs!! It was supposed a half back pass, LV defense and JoJo had other plans.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

victor creed wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:48 pm
kantucky wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:47 pm I have to hand it to the Wheelersburg's fans. Now, anyone who's watched me knows I've spoken glowingly of their program but guys, to be so confident facing a team like undefeated team Ridgewood, who have flat out steamrolled all their opponents..... when the Burg is 8 & 3 and just barely squeaked by Minford last week?....well, that's some optimism!

My hat's off to you for supporting your team in such a way
I am pretty sure you speak just as glowingly about your tigers. I know ironton has the best team they have had since maybe 09 when they lost to Hartley and if burg loses to wood. I will be supporting ironton all the way thru their run. I can’t understand why it bothers you so much that Burg fans believe in their team and support them so much when I see the same thing in your posts about the tigers this year.
Because when it comes down to it, Burg oversells. They ( fan base) have been overselling since preseason. They very well could win this game, but to present it as some sort of forgone conclusion is laughable. Do programs respect Burg? Sure they do. But they do not fear them. No program fears Wheelersburg. That's not how competitive nature works. For competitive programs, Burg is either viewed as an obstacle or a target. Same goes for everyone.

I've read enough to understand the B in burg, stands for bluster. What Burg is this week at the point of kick off against Ridgewood is the team that edged Minford by the narrowest of margins late in the game of their 1st round home playoff matchup.
They are the team, who only a week after being crowned with their conference championship, needed every second to get by a conference opponent. They are no more or no less.

I think it will be a very competitive contest between two obviously strong and very proud programs who share a brief post season history and familiarity.

Odds say Ridgewood. Hard to argue why. That said, this is the prep level, and just maybe intangibles weigh a lil heavier..

Wheelersburg 27
Ridgewood 17

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

Great post. Great to see the old rivalry still alive. I’m often reminded as I go inside the great facilities at PHS that the “trojan” uniform says “beat Ironton”

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SpeedKillz wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:56 pm
kantucky wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:47 pm I have to hand it to the Wheelersburg's fans. Now, anyone who's watched me knows I've spoken glowingly of their program but guys, to be so confident facing a team like undefeated team Ridgewood, who have flat out steamrolled all their opponents..... when the Burg is 8 & 3 and just barely squeaked by Minford last week?....well, that's some optimism!

I am pretty sure you speak just as glowingly about your tigers. I know ironton has the best team they have had since maybe 09 when they lost to Hartley and if burg loses to wood. I will be supporting ironton all the way thru their run. I can’t understand why it bothers you so much that Burg fans believe in their team and support them so much when I see the same thing in your posts about the tigers this year.
Because when it comes down to it, Burg oversells. They ( fan base) have been overselling since preseason. They very well could win this game, but to present it as some sort of forgone conclusion is laughable. Do programs respect Burg? Sure they do. But they do not fear them. No program fears Wheelersburg. That's not how competitive nature works. For competitive programs, Burg is either viewed as an obstacle or a target. Same goes for everyone.

I've read enough to understand the B in burg, stands for bluster. What Burg is this week at the point of kick off against Ridgewood is the team that edged Minford by the narrowest of margins late in the game of their 1st round home playoff matchup.
They are the team, who only a week after being crowned with their conference championship, needed every second to get by a conference opponent. They are no more or no less.

I think it will be a very competitive contest between two obviously strong and very proud programs who share a brief post season history and familiarity.

Odds say Ridgewood. Hard to argue why. That said, this is the prep level, and just maybe intangibles weigh a lil heavier..

Wheelersburg 27
Ridgewood 17
No one can just give credit to beating a good minford team. Amazing.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:44 am

Wheelersburg 27
Ridgewood 17
Probably has something to do with zero wins against a team with a winning record or even .500. They match up really well with burg this year, nothing more nothing less. So not exactly sure why it's amazing, is it because you had 2 close games, it was 28-10 and burg let the guard down.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:52 am

Wheelersburg 27
Ridgewood 17
Probably has something to do with zero wins against a team with a winning record or even .500. They match up really well with burg this year, nothing more nothing less. So not exactly sure why it's amazing, is it because you had 2 close games, it was 28-10 and burg let the guard down.
Goose is right wobycat. Burg let their gaurd down at 28-10. Are they the 17 team that had Carmichael, hell no. They are who they are, and that’s a conference champ, a playoff team and a week 12 team to date. Are they a week 13 and beyond team? Time will tell. Do they belong where they are? absolutely do!

This time of year, everyone playing is good. Survive and advance whether it’s by 1 or 100

GoBurg
RespectTheW

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Jack Sparrow wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:34 am

Goose is right wobycat. Burg let their gaurd down at 28-10. Are they the 17 team that had Carmichael, hell no. They are who they are, and that’s a conference champ, a playoff team and a week 12 team to date. Are they a week 13 and beyond team? Time will tell. Do they belong where they are? absolutely do!

This time of year, everyone playing is good. Survive and advance whether it’s by 1 or 100

GoBurg
RespectTheW
No he's not.... Burg beat a quality Minford playoff team. The falcons beat the teams who they should've beat, and were in the games that they may have been a little underdog in. The baffling loss is Oak Hill. Wasn't at the game so not sure what happened. People downplaying the quality of Minford with Lewis, wiget, and Risner are not talking straight. Those guys start somewhere on every team in southern Ohio.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Wheelersburg 27
Ridgewood 17

Why is it such a problem that Burg oversells the desire for their team? Isn't that allowed on a blog site by the fans from Burg?

Bottom line is it kills all of you to the point that you have to come on to a Burg thread and just bash the hell out of the Burg. Guy I work with asked me why do the Burg threads have so many more post than most of the other ones? I told him because so many other fans from the likes of ironton, Portsmouth, West, Minford, South Webster and a host of others like to come onto a Burg thread and stir s@#t up. Has been like that since these sites like this one started. It was the same on JJHuddle back in the day. Burg fans are not allowed to say anything positive without getting trashed.

The sad part about a lot of the garbage about how Burg will win by 50 and lot of the other nonsense on Burg threads about Burg isn't actually from Burg fans. Yes, there are quite a few Burg fans that sometimes are just clueless but it is there given right to post a score or give there insight on how the game might go. I for one very rarely give a prediction and especially not in a game like this where both teams could win by a little or blow each other out.

Good luck Pirates! Hell, we know that the majority of Scioto County is pulling for you to lose.
Last edited by yabbadabbadoo on Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Burg4
JV Team

Post by Burg4 »

I think Scioto County should come together for this Burg Team! We should always support those teams in each sport that are still playing to represent Scioto County and Southern Ohio. I would like just once for fans from each school tomorrow to give a big yell of WE ARE THE BURG!!! Let's keep this football season alive for Scioto County!!!

GO BURG!!!

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

wobycat wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:28 am
Jack Sparrow wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:34 am

GoBurg
RespectTheW
No he's not.... Burg beat a quality Minford playoff team. The falcons beat the teams who they should've beat, and were in the games that they may have been a little underdog in. The baffling loss is Oak Hill. Wasn't at the game so not sure what happened. People downplaying the quality of Minford with Lewis, wiget, and Risner are not talking straight. Those guys start somewhere on every team in southern Ohio.
I can’t speak for goose, but I think he was saying that exact thing. Minford was a quality team. Those three could start anywhere, when was the last time you could say that about minford personnel. And they did match up well with burg. As for the oak hill lose, who knows?!
That game is done. We’re in a dogfight this week.

GoBurg

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Minford's QB reminds me of Woods QB. Risner is just as good of a WR that Wood has and I think Wiget is just as better at RB. Minford had a huge o-line as well.

Bottom line no one is giving Minford any credit. I talked to one of Minford's players after the Oak Hill loss and he had no answer for why they lost. He just simply put that on that night OH was just better. It happens.

Burg knows this will be a dogfight Saturday night. Trust me, they have been in those types of games this year. Ashland and Minford come to mind. That could become a factor in this game. RW has not had a competitive game all year. How will they react if they get down early in the game? I've watched some teams just implode on themselves when that happens. For any "true" Burg fan to come on here and to say Burg will win going away they are not from Burg. You can trust me on that one right there!!!

DaWoodSoldier
Riding the Bench

Post by DaWoodSoldier »

I cant speak to all the Southern Ohio bickering on this thread, but I do know how Burg is viewed amongst the Wood program and contingent...as a champion and champions do not do down without a fight and they rarely go down at all. I would guess that the Burg internally has been playing the "Us against the World" mentality and "no one believes in us" card this week. Good coaches/programs self motivate by whatever means necessary. Should be a great High School football game. As for who wins, that's easy in a game between 2 solid teams...the team that plays better on that given night.

Return to “Football”