Sensitivity in society has now engulfed football in our area...sad

Sports24/7
Freshman Team

Sensitivity in society has now engulfed football in our area...sad

Post by Sports24/7 »

Watching football in general with the rules that are in place....is no longer FOOTBALL...And now you go watch a high school game where(TWICE)a team has had to not only bow to a running clock but agree to cut short a game because they are winning by too much and dont want to get anyone hurt....wow....what a reflection of the times we live in....I know there are two sides to this but with all do respect its flat out embarrassing....hope we can agree to disagree on this matter....JMO

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Sensitivity in society has now engulfed football in our area...sad

Post by mattash »

Seems like there should a be a rule where the backups have to play instead of running clock. I would hate to be that senior who can't play JV and has to deal with a running clock.

I'm with you.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

I agree, i don't like it either.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I watched a game this year where the second half was shortened to four minute quarters. My boys were up 48-0 at half. It did not bother me one bit to see the clock & drastically shortened quarters, talked to our coaches afterwards and they did not mind it. The other team’s staff also did not mind. By all accounts it was the best way to handle the situation at hand.

The real sensitivity in our society is the prevalent aversion from common sense, using good judgment and minimizing risk.

Sports24/7
Freshman Team

Post by Sports24/7 »

formerfcfan wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:39 pm I watched a game this year where the second half was shortened to four minute quarters. My boys were up 48-0 at half. It did not bother me one bit to see the clock & drastically shortened quarters, talked to our coaches afterwards and they did not mind it. The other team’s staff also did not mind. By all accounts it was the best way to handle the situation at hand.

The real sensitivity in our society is the prevalent aversion from common sense, using good judgment and minimizing risk.
Parents,kids,Coaches....know the risk....its football...No one wants to see anyone purposely get hurt or beat down...Again...in my opinion it's a competitive sport that is a reflection of the times we live in...period.Most coaches dont like it either but they have to be "politically correct " to keep parents,administrators off of there backs.....truth be told that's just the way it is

dilligaf
S

Post by dilligaf »

agree
Last edited by dilligaf on Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Sports24/7 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:04 am
formerfcfan wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:39 pm I watched a game this year where the second half was shortened to four minute quarters. My boys were up 48-0 at half. It did not bother me one bit to see the clock & drastically shortened quarters, talked to our coaches afterwards and they did not mind it. The other team’s staff also did not mind. By all accounts it was the best way to handle the situation at hand.

Parents,kids,Coaches....know the risk....its football...No one wants to see anyone purposely get hurt or beat down....Its a competitive sport that is a reflection of the times we live in...period.
Disagree, helmets are so different than they were 30 years ago, kids us their heads as weapons, that has changed the game. I’ve know a kid who died playing, I’ve been on the field with a kid who lost function of his brain and is never been right. I know a kid who is paralyzed. It is a game, it is competitive, but at 16 is the rest of your life worth being unsafe? To me, no!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Parents,kids,Coaches....know the risk....its football...No one wants to see anyone purposely get hurt or beat down....Its a competitive sport that is a reflection of the times we live in...period.
You are correct everyone knows the risk because it is football. I guess you answered your own question or responded to yourself. With the risk associated with football if a game is out of hand what is gained by not shortening it and minimizing that risk if a game is out of hand??? If a program is trying to build itself up does getting beat 60-0 help get kids to join the program when they just seen it from the stands?? I guess when there's nothing to gain by a game out of hand and everything to lose then why??? Some teams might have 20 players with limited backups so those teams need to put added risk so you can watch a 70-0 game??? Really is that what you sit in the stands for?? If it is just stay home. There isn't a coach, kid or parent that I have ever heard complain about a running clock. Now when they shorten the game by playing less minutes that's both coaches decisions and no one else's and I think they know way more on the subject. JMO

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Not as many kids playing nowadays and more and more blowouts every year it seems. Various reasons such as transfers, population loss, sports specialization etc. figure in to the equation along with many other alternatives kids have these days. The haves and have nots in a lot of the leagues have really been separated in the last 20 years or so. You very rarely saw 40, 50 and 60 point wins years ago in a full game but it is happening even with shortened and running clock games now on a regular basis. The 8 man football will never fly as a whole in Ohio so It's getting to the point where a lot of the teams should just drop football, period instead of getting beat like a drum week after week, year after year. Then, the competitive teams can reconfigure leagues that are competitive and similarly sized and then you will see a lot more close games again. It's pretty sad as Sports 24/7 said in the original post above.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Sports24/7 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:05 am

Parents,kids,Coaches....know the risk....its football...No one wants to see anyone purposely get hurt or beat down...Again...in my opinion it's a competitive sport that is a reflection of the times we live in...period.Most coaches dont like it either but they have to be "politically correct " to keep parents,administrators off of there backs.....truth be told that's just the way it is
So... let’s put some things into perspective here. Our team had 29 players, 13 of whom were seniors. Our opponent had 21 players, 4 of whom were seniors. By week 3, we were blessed to have no injuries but our opponent had five kids in street clothes with various injuries. Our line dwarfed their d-line, our physicality compounded with our superior speed basically meant for an unstoppable offense for us while their offense was getting blasted and unable to do anything. It was a complete mismatch from the beginning on several levels and it was fruitless for both teams to carry the onslaught for a full second half. No sense in us losing a key player in meaningless action (again not much depth here in D7 football) and no need for them to eat another injury in similarly pointless action.

Sports24/7
Freshman Team

Post by Sports24/7 »

greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:14 am

You are correct everyone knows the risk because it is football. I guess you answered your own question or responded to yourself. With the risk associated with football if a game is out of hand what is gained by not shortening it and minimizing that risk if a game is out of hand??? If a program is trying to build itself up does getting beat 60-0 help get kids to join the program when they just seen it from the stands?? I guess when there's nothing to gain by a game out of hand and everything to lose then why??? Some teams might have 20 players with limited backups so those teams need to put added risk so you can watch a 70-0 game??? Really is that what you sit in the stands for?? If it is just stay home. There isn't a coach, kid or parent that I have ever heard complain about a running clock. Now when they shorten the game by playing less minutes that's both coaches decisions and no one else's and I think they know way more on the subject. JMO
See your point...but like most...missing the point.And yes Coaches,Parents,Kids do complain about the running clock especially when your the one's it effects when you have a good team its just human nature.So...agree to disagree it is...

Sports24/7
Freshman Team

Post by Sports24/7 »

Sorry about the duplicate posts...computer and operator are tired

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Folks I keep saying. Football will be real different in 5 years. Numbers will continue to go down and blowouts will get worse and worse

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Sports24/7 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:34 am
See your point...but like most...missing the point.And yes Coaches,Parents,Kids do complain about the running clock especially when your the one's it effects when you have a good team its just human nature.So...agree to disagree it is...
Oh I see your point, you're just refusing to see anyone else's. What coaches from what teams?? I mean most I've been around like to get that running clock, get the backups work and get home intact and healthy for a game that means a lot more than that one they're in. I guess if no one is getting your point maybe you should explain it much better, because seems lime you're more on a rant than anything. Football has changed, coaches have changed, kids have changed, parents and society as a whole in how they view football has changed, that's where we're at and that's how we as fans must change. Old school days are gone it's a new era and new way, adapt or stay at home simple as that.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

mattash wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:21 pm Seems like there should a be a rule where the backups have to play instead of running clock. I would hate to be that senior who can't play JV and has to deal with a running clock.

I'm with you.
I agree..the JVs need to go in until it goes back under the 30 points. It would help with varsity playing time.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Sports24/7
Freshman Team

Post by Sports24/7 »

greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:59 am
Sports24/7 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:34 am

Oh I see your point, you're just refusing to see anyone else's. What coaches from what teams?? I mean most I've been around like to get that running clock, get the backups work and get home intact and healthy for a game that means a lot more than that one they're in. I guess if no one is getting your point maybe you should explain it much better, because seems lime you're more on a rant than anything. Football has changed, coaches have changed, kids have changed, parents and society as a whole in how they view football has changed, that's where we're at and that's how we as fans must change. Old school days are gone it's a new era and new way, adapt or stay at home simple as that.
Oh boy...ok....guess I will stay at home...sounds simple enough

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

You guys act like we all have 50 and 60 man rosters here in southeastern Ohio. There are JV games for JV players - and some teams can barely field enough for that.

The running clock was one of the better rules the OHSAA has ever come up with.

I kind of wish they'd do the same for girls basketball. Waterford beating Wahama 82-8 is just ridiculous.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:18 am You guys act like we all have 50 and 60 man rosters here in southeastern Ohio. There are JV games for JV players - and some teams can barely field enough for that.

The running clock was one of the better rules the OHSAA has ever come up with.

I kind of wish they'd do the same for girls basketball. Waterford beating Wahama 82-8 is just ridiculous.
Wahama is leaving the TVC anyway but in girls softball Wahama beat Waterford 12-1 and 9-1 last year year for instance so it evens out usually in other sports. Interesting in the last 10 football games they've played the total points for both teams is an equal 296-296, both have won 5 games each with Wahama scoring 42,61,64,54 and 40 in their wins and Waterford 34,58,27,44 and 42 in theirs and 8 of these 10 were blowouts by either side so take it for what it is.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Hillbilly Trump
Waterboy

Post by Hillbilly Trump »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:13 am

Disagree, helmets are so different than they were 30 years ago, kids us their heads as weapons, that has changed the game. I’ve know a kid who died playing, I’ve been on the field with a kid who lost function of his brain and is never been right. I know a kid who is paralyzed. It is a game, it is competitive, but at 16 is the rest of your life worth being unsafe? To me, no!

You’re correct about one thing… helmets have changed to be much more safer than when I played. Look… Football isn’t like any other sport. The brotherhood and unity that football brings in these young men’s lives; you can’t get that from baseball or basketball! Not even close!

Liberalism has turned football parents into idiots and the school staff and administrators manipulating your own kids for contractual benefits and social platforms!

Return to “Football”