Wheelersburg 21 - 20 Minford

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Re: Week 6: SOCII Burg @ Minford

Post by LucasDavenport »

Semantics. Red zone possession is if it’s snapped inside the 20.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

BondRoad Bandit wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:37 pm All this common opponent talk has absolutely zero to do with the game tomorrow how about we just let the boys play and enjoy a good high school football game tomorrow night. And stop acting like it’s ww3 on this forum.
I agree the GC game is a horrible example of a common game, and has nothing to do with tomorrow night's game.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

LucasDavenport wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:38 pm Semantics. Red zone possession is if it’s snapped inside the 20.
Fine. I should have said, "GC had their chances to hang with the burg in the first half, but turned the ball over twice inside the Pirate 15-yard line." And, those plays didn't occur from the 40-yard line, so Mr. Sparrow and I were both not 100% accurate.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

BondRoad Bandit wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:37 pm All this common opponent talk has absolutely zero to do with the game tomorrow how about we just let the boys play and enjoy a good high school football game tomorrow night. And stop acting like it’s ww3 on this forum.
That's absolutely what this forum is about, discussing the game and part of that is common opponents and why someone thinks this team will do this or do that. If it wasn't all topics would be, "Guess that Score" with zero debate or discussion on the game. What is said here absolutely means nothing when it comes to the game itself but it's a way to get active within the sport and for a lot of ppl on here another way to support their team or their kid.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

vladimir wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:49 pm
I agree the GC game is a horrible example of a common game, and has nothing to do with tomorrow night's game.
Yeah and neither does Wilmington but you wanted to discuss how they were just as good as ironton and Jackson, ;) Just depends on who brings it up on conversation as to whether or not it's relevant right??

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:05 pm
Yeah and neither does Wilmington but you wanted to discuss how they were just as good as ironton and Jackson, ;) Just depends on who brings it up on conversation as to whether or not it's relevant right??
Well if ppl want to use the common opponent logic, Ironton beat W'burg 30-6, W'burg beats Ashland 34-33, so what should have Ironton done to Ashland?

Ashland beat Ironton 16-10, so the common opponent comparison, although it may be fun to talk about, it means absolutely nothing.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I was right twice tonight! Marking this down.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

vladimir wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:16 pm
Well if ppl want to use the common opponent logic, Ironton beat W'burg 30-6, W'burg beats Ashland 34-33, so what should have Ironton done to Ashland?

Ashland beat Ironton 16-10, so the common opponent comparison, although it may be fun to talk about, it means absolutely nothing.
And what does everything you said have to do with Wilmington?? Actually Ironton played the game at Ashland where as Wheelersburg was at home, both Minford and Burg played GC at GC making it even playing field and some amount of home cooking as someone loves to mention.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

LucasDavenport wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:18 pm I was right twice tonight! Marking this down.
NEVERRRR :lol: :lol:

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:30 pm
LucasDavenport wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:18 pm I was right twice tonight! Marking this down.
NEVERRRR :lol: :lol:
If you get the last word it’s only once.

Daggone it. You are correct!!

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

Post by BondRoad Bandit »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:04 pm
That's absolutely what this forum is about, discussing the game and part of that is common opponents and why someone thinks this team will do this or do that. If it wasn't all topics would be, "Guess that Score" with zero debate or discussion on the game. What is said here absolutely means nothing when it comes to the game itself but it's a way to get active within the sport and for a lot of ppl on here another way to support their team or their kid.
I get that but sometimes it’s just goes to far and is just plain annoying. When you have dozens of post from the same people arguing the same thing over and over. Just my opinion

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

And what does everything you said have to do with Wilmington?? Actually Ironton played the game at Ashland where as Wheelersburg was at home, both Minford and Burg played GC at GC making it even playing field and some amount of home cooking as someone loves to mention.
\ if you think for a second I actually believe in the home cookin' remarks, I'll sell you the Greenup bridge for $100. That was to get under the skin and hit a nerve with a few, and it worked.

You're the one comparing common opponents with others, thinking it holds some water. I was comparing teams that I think have similar talent. According to the rediciliclous common opponent logic, where they played is irrelevant and has absolutely no bearing whatsoever. Ironton should have beat Ashland rather easily no matter where they played, but that didn't happen did it?!? So you think where they played equates to 20+ margin? Come'on Man!!

Any given Friday night anything can happen.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

wobycat wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:21 pm
greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:19 pm
BondRoad Bandit wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:17 pm

Came back? At most they were losing by one at one time that’s it they controlled that game and we’re winning 99% of the game.
Minford was up 31-27 going into the 4th. Burg "running clock" against GC
That’s because I don’t think Minford d is that strong. Their offense stirs their cup. That’s why I keep harping on burg controlling the time with sustained drives. Can’t give Minford a lot of chances with the ball.
And thats burgs identity this season but for whatever reason they get impatient and go away from their strength. It's almost as if they do not feel like their defense is stout and consistent enough to win playing slow ball. They tend to stall and then they go away from it and they turn the ball over or ( on downs) They do not consistently control an entire game with their offensive or defensive line. Not up to this point they do not. I think teams are seeing success gettin Burg behind the sticks and making em get outta character offensively and basically do too much. This season, they need to keep it simple. One two punch w a running foundation. The Horsley kid pound pound pound - then the Mathews kid on a jet sweep, then pound back n forth w Horsley and Mathews, then some play action. Real simple. Real focused on the PRESENT strengths rather than attempting to emulate what their strengths used to be. It then just becomes a matter of execution, talent, experience.

All that said, maybe an argument can be made that Wheelersburg by man is more talented than Minford, but this season, to date, Minford has executed better. Minford likely has an edge in experience and Burg when healthy, probably has a decided edge in depth. Burg has far and away played a much tougher schedule after five weeks BUT it is unclear they looked any better in the first five weeks of their schedule than Minford would have if they had played the very same schedule. Wheelersburg is a team on the ropes right now and Minford hasn't been scratched yet. Makes ya curious to the mind set going in. Is burg still hungry or are they reeling now? Does Minford believe they can face down this huge test?

A road trip against a 5 - 0 and feeling good conference opponent for the Pirates. In a lot of ways, this is make or break for Burg in my opinion. It is a must win. How does a fractured ego respond under pressure?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

vladimir wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:41 pm

\ if you think for a second I actually believe in the home cookin' remarks, I'll sell you the Greenup bridge for $100. That was to get under the skin and hit a nerve with a few, and it worked.

You're the one comparing common opponents with others, thinking it holds some water. I was comparing teams that I think have similar talent. According to the rediciliclous common opponent logic, where they played is irrelevant and has absolutely no bearing whatsoever. Ironton should have beat Ashland rather easily no matter where they played, but that didn't happen did it?!? So you think where they played equates to 20+ margin? Come'on Man!!

Any given Friday night anything can happen.
You were the one talking about Wilmington and how great they were. LOL. You said 1 true fact in that entire thing, any given Friday and less than 24 hrs from now the SOC will know exactly where a couple teams stand in terms of contender or pretender.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

No that's incorrect. I said, "Wilmington is just as good." Meaning their Line, and they do have better receivers and a good Qb. They don't have the backs Ironton does by any stretch. You started comparing schedules, and tried to apply logic. I didn't say they'd beat Ironton or Jackson, nor did I say "How great they are," and that's a matter of opinion

Last week some W'burg fans were jumping all over Jackson's schedule, saying they hadn't played anyone, bringing up that Athens gave the Ironmen all they wanted. Pointing out Jackson's opponents and saying most have few wins. Some went as far as predicting a win by at least 2-or-3 scores and look at what happened? From the opening kickoff, Jackson beat 'burg in ever phase of the game. Where's your logic there, how'd that happen?

So, as far as the logic with Ironton and Ashland, what you're saying is that b/c they played across the river it equates to a 20+ point margin? That's interesting. It's baloney,is what it is. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago you were saying Minford should have kept Northwest on their schedule other than playing D3 Wilmington? :roll:

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

vladimir wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:04 am No that's incorrect. I said, "Wilmington is just as good." Meaning their Line, and they do have better receivers and a good Qb. They don't have the backs Ironton does by any stretch. You started comparing schedules, and tried to apply logic. I didn't say they'd beat Ironton or Jackson, nor did I say "How great they are," and that's a matter of opinion

Last week some W'burg fans were jumping all over Jackson's schedule, saying they hadn't played anyone, bringing up that Athens gave the Ironmen all they wanted. Pointing out Jackson's opponents and saying most have few wins. Some went as far as predicting a win by at least 2-or-3 scores and look at what happened? From the opening kickoff, Jackson beat 'burg in ever phase of the game. Where's your logic there, how'd that happen?

So, as far as the logic with Ironton and Ashland, what you're saying is that b/c they played across the river it equates to a 20+ point margin? That's interesting. It's baloney,is what it is. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago you were saying Minford should have kept Northwest on their schedule other than playing D3 Wilmington? :roll:
I don't think any burg fan was jumping on Jackson's schedule, they knew what they were in for and that outcome didn't surprise anyone. Of course playing across the river equates to that type of loss, get that home cooking going. Plus let's be realistic Ironton while they've played good still have a long ways to go offensively. No I don't believe I mentioned anything about Minford keeping Northwest on their schedule over Wilmington, I thought it was a nice pickup get those good DIII points without having to actually beat a quality DIII opponent. ;) Now here in another year or 2 Northwest probably would be a good one to get on the schedule, as they have some really good young talent coming up. Now we've all heard that before so we'll see how they keep growing but I believe it was mentioned they had like 44 freshman and sophomores on the roster right now though. Like I said we'll know after Friday night just what the Falcons are made of, there still isn't anything they've done on their schedule to make me believe they are hands downs the favorites in this one. I look for a good quality game and looking forward to seeing if the Falcons can look past the fact they're playing burg and just put 4 quality quarters together to pull out the win.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Good Luck to Minford!!

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Hottest ticket in town !

This is small town football at its best !

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

BondRoad Bandit wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:33 pm
greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:19 pm
BondRoad Bandit wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:17 pm

Came back? At most they were losing by one at one time that’s it they controlled that game and we’re winning 99% of the game.
Minford was up 31-27 going into the 4th. Burg "running clock" against GC
True but Greenup best lineman tore his ACL that game and their starting running back got hurt. And Minford gave up one touchdown in the second half and took over the game.
Got to stop referring to this game. Greenup is awful. Best lineman out or not. JV teams could beat them.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Both teams and coaches will be trying their best to win for their schools. Will be following this one closely

Go pirates

Return to “Football”