Wheelersburg 21 - 20 Minford

14U
S

Re: Week 6: SOCII Burg @ Minford

Post by 14U »

vladimir wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:58 pm
Sport Fan wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:12 am Wow I thought Burg was playing Minford and not Ironton , who cares !!! How is Minford's overall record doing for the last few decades??
If you go back and read the context of what lead to that post, it's not the Minford, Jackson, nor the Ironton fans who ever predicted blowout-running clock scores, nor made the ridiculous proclamation that their program is historically "hands down" the very best in So. Ohio. Those titles belongs to the Clinton Massie Falcons(Past Decade), and historically Ironton.

Anyhow, as another poster said it sounds like 5th grade banter, and I should have known better. As someone once said, "It's no use to get into an argument with a fool, b/c from a far, ppl cannot tell which one is the fool."
If you look the poster laser breath started talking everything u said had “Waterboy” under his name ,so I say it’s somebody from not burg wanting to fire people and players up!!

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Good to see Minford getting some love from the AP voters!!

Minford will definitely be buzzing on Friday night!!

Wheelersburg needs to get up early and allow the demons in Minford’s head to play with them a little.

Minford gets up early and suddenly believes Wheelersburg has lost that luster and it could be like a train running downhill.

Hoping for a 4 quarter competitive contest. The best Minford — Wheelersburg game I witnessed in person was in 1985 with Minford prevailing 28-21 in OT. We talked a great deal about that one at Corriel’s cabin over the next few years.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

If Burg doesn't change a few things offensively this week they're going to get beat again.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

burgfella69 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:54 am If Burg doesn't change a few things offensively this week they're going to get beat again.
I agree
Everyone wants to talk about the schedule but ironton Ashland and Jackson are not great football teams. They are solid teams that past burg teams handle rather easily. This team just isn’t very good.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I wonder if this is the week Burg really starts giving the freshman QB more reps?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

fbnut wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:16 am
burgfella69 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:54 am If Burg doesn't change a few things offensively this week they're going to get beat again.
I agree
Everyone wants to talk about the schedule but ironton Ashland and Jackson are not great football teams. They are solid teams that past burg teams handle rather easily. This team just isn’t very good.
The ELITE talent pool at Wheelersburg is drying up. Their reign of state dominance is coming to an end. Burg people can't seem to understand that the best and most talented groups to ever come through Wheelersburg have graduated in the past two years (not to mention the few classes in front of them weren't too bad). There's going to be a drop off. Didn't expect 2-3 with the possibility of 5-5 but still, we've gotten too comfortable.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:43 am Good to see Minford getting some love from the AP voters!!

Minford will definitely be buzzing on Friday night!!

Wheelersburg needs to get up early and allow the demons in Minford’s head to play with them a little.

Minford gets up early and suddenly believes Wheelersburg has lost that luster and it could be like a train running downhill.

Hoping for a 4 quarter competitive contest. The best Minford — Wheelersburg game I witnessed in person was in 1985 with Minford prevailing 28-21 in OT. We talked a great deal about that one at Corriel’s cabin over the next few years.
I have spent a few nights at Coriell's cabin.

Outside of Minford winning in 93 at home, 2009 was a really good game with Minford winning 16-15.

Both games in 2008 (regular season and playoff) were good ones too

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

Can't wait to be back in Minford friday night to take in this game. The 2004 game was a nail biter that Minford "escaped" with played on Northwest's field, Minford capitalized on a couple key turnovers including a Dwight Luman interception. 2009 was a great game, I recall Burg QB Lang I believe being stopped short on the 2 point attempt. Both games in 2008 were great games with Minford missing out a opportunity to tie the playoff game by just a few feet.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:17 am I wonder if this is the week Burg really starts giving the freshman QB more reps?
Highly doubt it. He’s got a long way to go.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

burgfella69 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:25 am
I agree
The ELITE talent pool at Wheelersburg is drying up. Their reign of state dominance is coming to an end. Burg people can't seem to understand that the best and most talented groups to ever come through Wheelersburg have graduated in the past two years (not to mention the few classes in front of them weren't too bad). There's going to be a drop off. Didn't expect 2-3 with the possibility of 5-5 but still, we've gotten too comfortable.
You haven’t paid much attention to the jv and varsity. Burg is a threat every year, including this one.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

I agree
Still see good talent coming up at Wheelersburg, but agreed that there are no ELITE Tanner Holden-types in the pipeline from what I've seen. Not surprising as Holden was one of the best athletes to ever come out of Scioto County (let alone Wheelersburg) and a D1 prospect in 2 sports that made players around him better. Regardless, still believe Burg will always be near the top of SOC in football, but yearly expectations of Regional Finals or beyond aren't realistic. Most of Burg fans I know realize this, but a few I talk to don't seem to get it.*

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

wobycat wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:55 am

I agree
You haven’t paid much attention to the jv and varsity. Burg is a threat every year, including this one.
I'd like to think Burg is a threat this year, I just don't see it.
I agree with Art's point more.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

burgfella69 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:08 am
wobycat wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:55 am

I'd like to think Burg is a threat this year, I just don't see it.
I agree with Art's point more.
It will come down to how they run their offense. They don’t have the personnel or experience to run the offense that they have on the past. Their defense is decent but not good enough to win them the game. They have to put points on the board. If they can’t figure that out, then yes they will continue to struggle. But I think they have enough talent to compete for regional. They aren’t any less talented than the group with Collins, newsome, year. They won the regional that year.

The difference is the region may be tougher to win.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

art_vandelay wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:01 am

I agree
Still see good talent coming up at Wheelersburg, but agreed that there are no ELITE Tanner Holden-types in the pipeline from what I've seen. Not surprising as Holden was one of the best athletes to ever come out of Scioto County (let alone Wheelersburg) and a D1 prospect in 2 sports that made players around him better. Regardless, still believe Burg will always be near the top of SOC in football, but yearly expectations of Regional Finals or beyond aren't realistic. Most of Burg fans I know realize this, but a few I talk to don't seem to get it.*
The few might be suffering from recency bias.

Wheelersburg has been to 6 straight Regional Finals
They are 17-5 in the playoffs in these last 6 years.

17 playoff wins in the last 6 years. How big is that stat? Only 3 other teams in the SouthEast district have won 17 playoff games EVER.

Ironton 45
Wheelersburg 38
Trimble 17
Sheridan 17

5th all time in Southeast Ohio has 12. 3 guesses on which school it is?

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

burgfella69 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:54 am

I dunno...like wobycat posted, the JV team is pretty exciting to watch. There are some young men on there that are electric every time they touch the ball. I never thought we had "state" dominance..."regional" dominance for sure, and I expect that to continue. Perhaps not this year, and even this year I think we get one or two playoff wins, but there is quite a bit of "really good" and some potentially elite talent coming up in the ranks.

Larry Fine
JV Team

Post by Larry Fine »

I agree
I wouldn’t make fun of Ironton or even Jackson. The truth is Wheelersburg quit during those games. I’ve said it for weeks now , Wheelersburg is soft and quit when those teams played smash mouth football. Same with the team from the playoffs last year.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

That definitely is your truth.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Larry Fine wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:43 pm
I agree
I wouldn’t make fun of Ironton or even Jackson. The truth is Wheelersburg quit during those games. I’ve said it for weeks now , Wheelersburg is soft and quit when those teams played smash mouth football. Same with the team from the playoffs last year.
You’re as bad as that other idiot from Ironton who’s been banned multiple times. Your either jealous or obsessed....

Obsessed is probably it

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

ELITE talent is few and far between in these parts. There have been maybe a handful of kids that I would consider in that category in the past 30 years. I think Wheelersburg does have some good players coming up but unfortunately there aren't any Tanner Holdens walking the halls at this point. That doesn't mean we wont be successful on the field. We will continue to field playoff caliber teams that will most likely compete for the region in the near future. JMO.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

Right now the 7th-10th grades has the most talent and numbers ever to go through Wheelersburg. Anyone who thinks there is going to be a drop off is delusional. Like I have said before comeback week 10 and tell me how Bad the Burg is this year. Our schedule proved to be too much this year. We knew this was a possibility when it was made. Better to be 7-9 win team that is tested and knows its own weaknesses than 10-0 and a first round exit in the playoffs or get stomped by a tested team week 11 or 12. If your goal is final 4 and beyond you have to schedule up every year... not just when you think you will be good. The competition we have faced the first 5 weeks (except Greenup) is 200% better than what we will face the next 5 weeks. Everyone is excited because we have struggled this year... I get it the SOC has HOPE this year....Burg looks vulnerable, Finally! We will see which is the better philosophy this Friday 5-0 playing nobody or 2-3 scheduling up. I'm pretty sure I know the answer.... I will be on here Friday at 10 or 11 to discuss

Return to “Football”