Greenup County (KY) 7 - 38 Wheelersburg

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: Week 4 Wheelersburg(1-2) @ Greenup Co.(2-2)

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Burg by 3 td's

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:07 pm
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:23 am After seeing some film of Greenup, I'll increase my earlier spread from 14 to 23. They do have a few athletes but from what I've seen, the right side of the defensive backfield is slow. And the safeties are tall but pretty slow as well. I look for Matthews to get a lot of targets from the Slot and we will see him have a huge game I believe.
From what I saw vs Ashland, the key to Burg finding some offensive identity right now is simple: Getting Matthews in space. He is very quick, fast after he gets loose and GC didnt look like the greatest of teams in terms of tackling in space.

Defensively Burg looked good against the Tomcats.

Your prediction of a 23 pt game wouldnt surprise me at all from a Burg standpoint.

From a GC standpoint, if their receivers can catch the ball, this game could be close.
That was another thing I noticed too. They had a lot of dropped balls against Minford. That really helped Minford out a lot.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Jack Sparrow wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:15 pm
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:23 am After seeing some film of Greenup, I'll increase my earlier spread from 14 to 23. They do have a few athletes but from what I've seen, the right side of the defensive backfield is slow. And the safeties are tall but pretty slow as well. I look for Matthews to get a lot of targets from the Slot and we will see him have a huge game I believe.
Okay, I thought I was seeing things, but now it’s confirmed. A friend of mine coaches in ky and he said they were fast. After watching tape, I called him and said he needed his eyes checked...lol
They do have a couple kids with some good speed. But the majority of the team does not. Burg will be Much faster at the point of attack.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:53 pm
Jack Sparrow wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:15 pm
Okay, I thought I was seeing things, but now it’s confirmed. A friend of mine coaches in ky and he said they were fast. After watching tape, I called him and said he needed his eyes checked...lol
They do have a couple kids with some good speed. But the majority of the team does not. Burg will be Much faster at the point of attack.
8-0

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Raider6309 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:44 pm Greenup sucks. Burg by a bunch
Not sure I have ever seen a team with a D1 Qb that "sucks".

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Burg better be prepared to play. GC as far as I can remember have never beaten the Burg (they did have one tie back in the 70's) so they are hungry.

They have a really good QB that can pick a defense apart.

Does anyone know if Matthews is back playing defense this week?

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:38 am Burg better be prepared to play. GC as far as I can remember have never beaten the Burg (they did have one tie back in the 70's) so they are hungry.

Some. I think in third and long or forth and critical, he comes in

“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

Burg 35 GC 21

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:55 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:44 pm Greenup sucks. Burg by a bunch
Not sure I have ever seen a team with a D1 Qb that "sucks".
:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

should be a good matchup and hope tha burg slides across the river and gets the W...….wont be an easy task but if anyone is up to the task tha burg is...…..remember.....tha burg is tha word

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Jack Sparrow wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:06 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:38 am Burg better be prepared to play. GC as far as I can remember have never beaten the Burg (they did have one tie back in the 70's) so they are hungry.

Ok. He didn't play any defense against Ashland

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:12 pm
Jack Sparrow wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:06 pm

Ok. He didn't play any defense against Ashland
Your right. And he still might not against greenup. This is just an observation from a birds eye view

tomcat
Riding the Bench

Post by tomcat »

If Matthews plays any defense I would put him at free safety. Burgs defense shows some weakness in the secondary giving up a lot of big plays in the first three weeks.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

tomcat wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:06 pm If Matthews plays any defense I would put him at free safety. Burgs defense shows some weakness in the secondary giving up a lot of big plays in the first three weeks.
Free is his natural position. I disagree with giving up a lot of plays tho. Ironton didn’t have any from a secondary standpoint. The long run by Fossam up the middle on a trap wasn't on the secondary. Hartley had the one long run on an outside zone read, and the secondary didn’t get off blocks. Ashland had the 4th and 16 pass play that the free got sucked in on a double move by the tight end. So that would be the only one I remember. Are those what you’re referring to?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Jack Sparrow wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:15 pm
tomcat wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:06 pm If Matthews plays any defense I would put him at free safety. Burgs defense shows some weakness in the secondary giving up a lot of big plays in the first three weeks.
Free is his natural position. I disagree with giving up a lot of plays tho. Ironton didn’t have any from a secondary standpoint. The long run by Fossam up the middle on a trap wasn't on the secondary. Hartley had the one long run on an outside zone read, and the secondary didn’t get off blocks. Ashland had the 4th and 16 pass play that the free got sucked in on a double move by the tight end. So that would be the only one I remember. Are those what you’re referring to?
They are weak in run support but are getting better. The defense burg runs is great against the run if their corners and outside linebackers come up and hit. They need more work but I think they are getting better and healthier. Everything else about their defense is solid.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

wobycat wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:19 pm
Jack Sparrow wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:15 pm
They are weak in run support but are getting better. The defense burg runs is great against the run if their corners and outside linebackers come up and hit. They need more work but I think they are getting better and healthier. Everything else about their defense is solid.
I like the new corners. Once the lb get settled in a bit more and pirate (sophomore and junior) get comfortable we will be fine

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

The burg defense is rounding into shape nicely. Consider who they have had to cut their teeth against so far this year - ironton, Hartley, ashland and now greenup with their qb, tall order for even an experienced defense.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

As far as the secondary giving up big pass plays, I've only seen one in 12 quarters of football, and it wasn't because they weren't in the right place, just didn't make the play. Plus the pass was thrown perfectly by the Ashland QB, whom is underrated. Ironton passed for 11 yards and Hartley didn't hurt burg on big pass plays but then again they didn't need to pass much. This week will be a huge test for burg secondary and a good learning experience going forward with Waverly coming up.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

packers80 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:50 pm As far as the secondary giving up big pass plays, I've only seen one in 12 quarters of football, and it wasn't because they weren't in the right place, just didn't make the play. Plus the pass was thrown perfectly by the Ashland QB, whom is underrated. Ironton passed for 11 yards and Hartley didn't hurt burg on big pass plays but then again they didn't need to pass much. This week will be a huge test for burg secondary and a good learning experience going forward with Waverly coming up.
Harley killed us with 2 intermediate passes to their fullback #30 he scored on both I agree with Burgs secondary needing to get better. IMO I think they play to far off the line of scrimmage they are usually 10 yds back from the receiver but what do I know? Go Burg I hope for an injury free game

Burg grad 85
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

2 intermediate passes didn't kill burg against Hartley, the run did. The passes were open because they were set up by the effective running attack. A running attack, which just had bigger,faster, stronger and better players than burg. Pass defense has been very good, if you want to count the 2 intermediate passes by Hartley and 1 by ashland as big pass plays I'll take it. 3 in 12 quarters is pretty darn good.

Return to “Football”