Wheelersburg 34 Ashland 33

Tripaces
Freshman Team

Re: Wheelersburg 34 Ashland 33

Post by Tripaces »

Jack Sparrow wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:05 pm
Tripaces wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:57 pm Big complaint from Ashland coaches and fans and it seems ligit, the clock didn’t run for the first 4 plays of the game , when it was caught nothing was done no run off or anything, wheelersburg last TD with a few seconds left in the first half should’ve never happened , does not one of the referees kee the time on the field and why wasn’t any time ran off when the mistake was found
Actually, the clock read 3:08 after the first four plays. Refere set it to 11:45....

No , it never started I’m not trying to argue just wanting to know if refs keep time on the field and why nothing was done just asking about the ruling . Your explanation is it took 15 seconds to run 4 plays

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Tripaces wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:07 pm
Tripaces wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:57 pm Big complaint from Ashland coaches and fans and it seems ligit, the clock didn’t run for the first 4 plays of the game , when it was caught nothing was done no run off or anything, wheelersburg last TD with a few seconds left in the first half should’ve never happened , does not one of the referees kee the time on the field and why wasn’t any time ran off when the mistake was found
Actually, the clock read 3:08 after the first four plays. Refere set it to 11:45....

No , it never started I’m not trying to argue just wanting to know if refs keep time on the field and why nothing was done just asking about the ruling . Your explanation is it took 15 seconds to run 4 plays
I don’t know what the rule says about a clock that doesn’t run but That crew would know what to do. There were no clock issues after that. Regardless both teams were given gifts to win the game. Ashland was given a gift on a play that usually never happens on a 4th and 17 that led to Ashland go ahead touchdown in regulation.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

I assume you went to the Ironton/Failand game and weren’t at burg. Since you weren’t, I can tell you the clock read 3:08. The referee set the clock to 11:45 after the first 4 plays

And they don’t keep time on the field. If it’s wrong they set it to the last time the saw on the clock.
And I don’t want to argue. Was trying sincerely to answer you

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
scott1297
All Conference

Re: WK3 Ashland (KY) @ Wheelersburg

Post by scott1297 »

JTEK wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:44 pm
scott1297 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:04 pm
BurgGrad6 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:24 pm

I thought this was a bad call as well... however, I went back and watched it on film.. the returner never touched the ball. He completely missed it. Now the intentional grounding call was a bad one.
The intentional grounding call was the right call even though Ashlands qb was out of the pocket the ball never crossed the line of scrimmage which it has to do he threw it straight out of bounds
I don’t think it has anything to do with line of scrimmage or tackle box
If the official determines the ball was thrown away to avoid a sack or loss its grounding unless of course he’s trying to spike it to stop clock
The ball has to go across the line of scrimmage if he is attempting just to throw it away it has to travel past the line of scrimmage unless the qb is just spiking to stop the clockthen it doesnt.....

Burg grad 85
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:16 pm

I don’t know what the rule says about a clock that doesn’t run but That crew would know what to do. There were no clock issues after that. Regardless both teams were given gifts to win the game. Ashland was given a gift on a play that usually never happens on a 4th and 17 that led to Ashland go ahead touchdown in regulation.
Exactly if the clock would have worked like it was supposed too Burg would have won in regulation. Go Burg

Burg grad 85
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

scott1297 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:48 pm
wobycat wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:16 pm

Exactly if the clock would have worked like it was supposed too Burg would have won in regulation. Go Burg
Not sure on that but the gift was definitely given to Ashland on the 4 and 17. That’s almost Hail Mary type stuff

JTEK
All State

Re: WK3 Ashland (KY) @ Wheelersburg

Post by JTEK »

scott1297 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:46 pm
JTEK wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:44 pm
scott1297 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:04 pm

The intentional grounding call was the right call even though Ashlands qb was out of the pocket the ball never crossed the line of scrimmage which it has to do he threw it straight out of bounds
I don’t think it has anything to do with line of scrimmage or tackle box
If the official determines the ball was thrown away to avoid a sack or loss its grounding unless of course he’s trying to spike it to stop clock
The ball has to go across the line of scrimmage if he is attempting just to throw it away it has to travel past the line of scrimmage unless the qb is just spiking to stop the clockthen it doesnt.....
I’m no ref but I can’t find anything on the rule that says anything about going past line of scrimmage or that the qb can throw it away without a receiver in the area . All I can find is what I previously said but I’ve been wrong before

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

The only thing that matters is what the score board said when the clock struck zero and that was Wheelersburg 34 Ashland 33. You can come up with this that or the other it doesn’t matter Wheelersburg played and won a darn good ball game.

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

Unless the high school rule has changed, someone has been watching too much college and pro football. If the Referee(white hat) deems it intentional grounding, he or she may call it. That is one dumb college and Pro rule I hope high school never changes

Tripaces
Freshman Team

Post by Tripaces »

I have no idea about what the official rule is about grounding , but if your saying there’s really no clear standard to go by it’s just up to the official to decide then no wonder everyone is arguing if it was or wasn’t , seems like there should be a defined rule of what qualifies as grounding

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Tripaces wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:00 pm I have no idea about what the official rule is about grounding , but if your saying there’s really no clear standard to go by it’s just up to the official to decide then no wonder everyone is arguing if it was or wasn’t , seems like there should be a defined rule of what qualifies as grounding
Hope this helps

Rule 7-5d states “An illegal forward pass is a foul. Illegal forward passes include a pass intentionally thrown into an area not occupied by an eligible offensive receiver.” Rule 7-5e adds more detail that “a pass intentionally thrown incomplete to save loss of yardage or to conserve time” is also illegal, with the following exception: “It is legal to conserve time by intentionally throwing the ball forward to the ground immediately after receiving a direct hand-to-hand snap.”

There is no “tackle box” or throwing past the line of scrimmage in NFHS rules

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
Tripaces
Freshman Team

Post by Tripaces »

That’s clear enough so there shouldn’t be any question

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Tripaces wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:21 pm That’s clear enough so there shouldn’t be any question
I agree with your earlier statement though...that’s too broad of a definition and leaves it up to a judgment call. I like the “tackle box” and past the line of scrimmage calls because they are clearly defined.

I-town-90
Freshman Team

Post by I-town-90 »

So I just watched the Ashland v Burg game. The long TD called back on Ashland on the pass play where the refs called a hold was an absolute joke. There wasn't a single lineman or the wide out that came close to anything resembling a hold, not even close. HOMERED BAD!

Bobbbbbb
Freshman Team

Post by Bobbbbbb »

I-town-90 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:36 pm So I just watched the Ashland v Burg game. The long TD called back on Ashland on the pass play where the refs called a hold was an absolute joke. There wasn't a single lineman or the wide out that came close to anything resembling a hold, not even close. HOMERED BAD!
Same hometown Ironton ref crew as the Burg/Ironton game. Guess it must be hard to break old habits, huh? :roll:

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

I-town-90 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:36 pm So I just watched the Ashland v Burg game. The long TD called back on Ashland on the pass play where the refs called a hold was an absolute joke. There wasn't a single lineman or the wide out that came close to anything resembling a hold, not even close. HOMERED BAD!
There might not have been a hold on the play but the flag was thrown right after the boy caught the ball so the ref had no clue that he was going to score. I was standing right there I seen it upclose. And that was the same crew that did the Burg and Ironton game. And for me it's impossible as a fan to see what the refs see especially at full speed . It would be easy to watch a game on film and critique almost every call . All and all I think they did a good job on both sides.

Burg grad 85
I-town-90
Freshman Team

Post by I-town-90 »

I will see if I can post just that play on youtube, it is a terrible call.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I-town-90 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:06 pm I will see if I can post just that play on youtube, it is a terrible call.
While you’re at it, see if you can find the several holds on Ashland that weren’t called on their last two touchdown drives. You can’t single out one incident. That’s one of very few good crews left and several of them are from the Lawrence county area. They had nothing to gain. It was a great officiated game.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I've always felt as if Holding can be called on every play, running or passing if the Referee decides he wants to call it. Sometimes it's very obvious, other times it's entirely his interpretation. I also don't mean just High School, but College and the Pro's as well.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

I-town-90 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:06 pm I will see if I can post just that play on youtube, it is a terrible call.
Are you an Ashland Tomcat fan? If not why are you worrying about The Burg game? Go Burg!

Burg grad 85

Return to “Football”