JACKSON vs IRONTON scrimmage 8/23

Poo Bear
SEOP

Re: JACKSON vs IRONTON scrimmage 8/23

Post by Poo Bear »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:39 pm
BigBen wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:25 am Doesn’t matter where he came from or went to school before. He was still Ironton’s most productive player on the field. Ironton’s QB also looks very capable, but needs a few more options at receiver. The Jackson QB looks good and the current bright spot on the offense, with the exception of forcing that pass down close to the goal line, (Gotta just throw that away) but needs some help with his O line holding up for him. We know one thing for sure though...Jackson will get their run game going sooner rather than later. Lots of talent there also. Jackson’s defense looks strong.
But hey, it’s all a work in progress. Both teams will be just fine in their conferences I think. Good luck to both.
Prater looked quite bright

Prater is a bright spot . A legit deep threat with glue for hands . The pick 6 , dropped snap, fumble 6, really shredded any chance for the team to compete. Was surprised ironton couldn’t run it down Jackson’s throats. Most big plays were through the air or just gifts from
the offense . Would love to see Jackson Work out of the T more to establish an identity. Jackson’s most productive runs were #5 and #29 getting down hill. Two good things , Jackson probably won’t see a more physical football team all year , they held up well on run defense against a strong ironton line , a good fullback and powerful tailback, and they’re still 0-0.
Last edited by Poo Bear on Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

I like irontons offense scheme. Almost always a 2 back set, they didn’t go away from the run even when they were gaining a ton of yards on it . When they passed it was a lot of play actions which froze the defense. Well done.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I wasn't at the scrimmage, so I just received updates, but I will say that I expected Jackson to be a little further along at this point. It does sound like they have been very vanilla on offense with a lot of their key backs not really carrying the ball. However, you can't turn the ball over four times in basically a half of football and expect to be competitive, especially against what should be a very good Ironton team. The good thing is that those mistakes are correctable, and we'll probably see more of the true Jackson offense starting next week, rather than working on different wrinkles, etc.

It does sound like the defense played well despite being put in awful positions by the offense all night. Things like not putting a DB on a receiver (twice) can't continue to happen, but the run defense was strong, and there were bright spots on that side of the ball.

The good thing about scrimmages is that they're just scrimmages. Time to get real now, learn from the mistakes, and make sure they don't continue to happen. Good luck to Ironton this season. Sounds like they are trending in the right direction under Pendleton, and I'm interested to see how the game with Burg goes. As for the Ironmen, the slate is clean. Week 1 is now here. Let's give Wellston a nice going away present!

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Poo Bear wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:11 pm I like irontons offense scheme. Almost always a 2 back set, they didn’t go away from the run even when they werent gaining a ton of yards on it . When they passed it was a lot of play actions which froze the defense. Well done.

BigBen
Waterboy

Post by BigBen »

BigBen wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:25 am Doesn’t matter where he came from or went to school before. He was still Ironton’s most productive player on the field. Ironton’s QB also looks very capable, but needs a few more options at receiver. The Jackson QB looks good and the current bright spot on the offense, with the exception of forcing that pass down close to the goal line, (Gotta just throw that away) but needs some help with his O line holding up for him. We know one thing for sure though...Jackson will get their run game going sooner rather than later. Lots of talent there also. Jackson’s defense looks strong.
But hey, it’s all a work in progress. Both teams will be just fine in their conferences I think. Good luck to both.
I believe Prater was the receiver that caught both Passes. If so, yes, absolutely he is a bright spot also. There are many quality players on this team. It’s just a matter of pulling themselves together and then working toward a common goal. That O line has to toughen up and make up for their lack of size, and they will do it.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

BigBen wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:08 pm
I believe Prater was the receiver that caught both Passes. If so, yes, absolutely he is a bright spot also. There are many quality players on this team. It’s just a matter of pulling themselves together and then working toward a common goal. That O line has to toughen up and make up for their lack of size, and they will do it.
Winters and Dailey caught passes as well while I was there.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Agree on the line , 3 linemen cutting their teeth at the varsity level vs some legit defensive lines. We can’t have all the turnovers in the red zone from veteran players on the offense . Taking care of the ball is crucial in big games . But they’ll pull it together starting next Saturday.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

I just realized, no-1 is mentioning Reid Carrico, The highly recruited Junior from Ironton.

He was getting a lot of forum chatter prior to this scrimmage.

Junior Jones, kinda emerged as the Fighting Tiger folks brought up.

Reid didn’t see the field in the OVC jamboree. How Did he play in the scrimmage?

OR..

Were both defenses so solid, that’s why not much offensive chatter.

With Fosson, Carrico, Deere, big bruising backs in IHS backfield, not being mentioned, that speaks volumes for Jackson’s D!!

Anyone @ the scrimmage can share their thoughts?

Much appreciated!!!

BigBen
Waterboy

Post by BigBen »

Tjhtygeverve wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:26 pm I just realized, no-1 is mentioning Reid Carrico, The highly recruited Junior from Ironton.

Reid didn’t see the field in the OVC jamboree. How Did he play in the scrimmage?

OR..

With Fosson, Carrico, Deere, big bruising backs in IHS backfield, not being mentioned, that speaks volumes for Jackson’s D!!

Much appreciated!!!
Yes, both Ds were very capable. They played tough, especially Jackson considering the size difference.
I’m sure Carrico is good, but he didn’t show much in the form of impressive plays. That may have been by coaching design so as not to show too much a week before Wheelersburg.

BigBen
Waterboy

Post by BigBen »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:10 pm

Winters and Dailey caught passes as well while I was there.
Yes they did, but I guess I was referring to TD passed.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

BigBen wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:42 pm
Tjhtygeverve wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:26 pm I just realized, no-1 is mentioning Reid Carrico, The highly recruited Junior from Ironton.

OR..

Much appreciated!!!
Yes, both Ds were very capable. They played tough, especially Jackson considering the size difference.
I’m sure Carrico is good, but he didn’t show much in the form of impressive plays. That may have been by coaching design so as not to show too much a week before Wheelersburg.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. My gut told me that the response you posted with was probably what went down!

He’s a talented kid & as a junior, it’s got to be a lot to go through, to be asked to hold back(MAYBE/no disrespect to Jackson) before you are able to get going for the season.

I feel Pendleton and crew know what to do and he’s in capable hands to choose what’s best.

There are so Many excited fans and sometimes I have to tell myself, IT WAS JUST A SCRIMMAGE!

Good luck to both Jackson and Ironton!

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Did the Jackson freshman get any reps at QB?

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Ed Ott wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:32 pm Did the Jackson freshman get any reps at QB?
He had a nice toss in the JV game for a TD.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Poo Bear wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:12 pm
Ed Ott wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:32 pm Did the Jackson freshman get any reps at QB?
He had a nice toss in the JV game for a TD.
Sounds like Jackson has good quarterbacks for the foreseeable future

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

Looks like Jackson got trounced

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Vik wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:18 pm Looks like Jackson got trounced
That’s putting it lightly Vik

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

Poo Bear wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:28 pm
I’ll admit I’m not liking my devils chances against Ironton. They got strong move ins and might beat Wheelersburg

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Vik wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:39 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:28 pm
I’ll admit I’m not liking my devils chances against Ironton. They got strong move ins and might beat Wheelersburg
Ironton is much improved but this scrimmage was more telling about Jackson .

Frogtownbuckeye
Freshman Team

Post by Frogtownbuckeye »

Tjhtygeverve wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:01 pm
BigBen wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:42 pm

OR..

Much appreciated!!!

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. My gut told me that the response you posted with was probably what went down!

He’s a talented kid & as a junior, it’s got to be a lot to go through, to be asked to hold back(MAYBE/no disrespect to Jackson) before you are able to get going for the season.

I feel Pendleton and crew know what to do and he’s in capable hands to choose what’s best.

There are so Many excited fans and sometimes I have to tell myself, IT WAS JUST A SCRIMMAGE!

Good luck to both Jackson and Ironton!
Carrico had a rushing TD, a long TD reception, and a fumble return for a TD, as well as plugging holes all night. He sure looked the part to me.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

Is Larry Hall still coaching at Jackson , If he is and they gat man handled they are in trouble. Larry coached the defense.

Return to “Football”