Portsmouth 57 Valley 40

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: WK1 2018 Portsmouth @ Valley

Post by smurray »

Portsmouth has some nice athletes from what I saw Friday night but just weren’t able to hang with Waverly.
This could a very interesting opening night contest.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Dmp_404040 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:22 pm Portsmouth 35-14. Faster stronger defense than last year. Offense is better and more balanced.
Portsmouth lost a very good quarterback in Kelley and no one seems to know who this year's starter will be, but they are more balanced?

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I don’t see valley winning this game. I don’t think Portsmouth is a powerhouse but better than valley. Trojans have a lot to work on but I don’t think valley has a chance. But anything can happen. If Portsmouth’s line blocks and and doesn’t get tired Parker will have a field day.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:27 am [quote=Dmp_404040 post_id=<a href="tel:1677037">1677037</a> time=<a href="tel:1534731758">1534731758</a> user_id=13117]
Portsmouth 35-14. Faster stronger defense than last year. Offense is better and more balanced.
Portsmouth lost a very good quarterback in Kelley and no one seems to know who this year's starter will be, but they are more balanced?
[/quote]

This years starter is last years backup, Danny Lattimore. He has a nice arm, but seems a bit timid back there but he’s very much the starter. That being said I think Portsmouth is much worse at the QB position this year. Hard to replace a kid like Kelly. Offense is not more balanced. Line is way worse than last season. Defense doesn’t look any better to me, maybe even worse than last season. I’m all for being positive about your team, but I’m also being realistic. Now getting to this game, Valley absolutely has a chance, Streeter is a beast. I think it will be who’s defense gets worn down first. I feel both backs Streeter & Parker will get theirs. I’ll say 33-31 final.

AllAboutTheU
Freshman Team

Post by AllAboutTheU »

Valley wins this game. I think Valley's defense is better than Portsmouth. Like mentioned in an earlier post, Kelly was the difference maker last year, along with the other Parker. Since Kelly is gone, I only see Parker as the real offensive threat. Yes he is good, but Coach Crabtree will have his Indians ready to swarm.
Last edited by AllAboutTheU on Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

portsmouth by 8

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
footballelite
Riding the Bench

Post by footballelite »

I think this will be a very entertaining game. I am gonna take Valley 21-14

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

How Portsmouth's defense plays in this game will set the tone for the entire season. To have a winning record, the Trojans MUST hold opponents under 20 PPG. That hasn't happened in a long time.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

If the Trojans lose this game it's going to be a long season for them.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:38 pm Hard to predict this team from 2 a days and the preview. In theory we should be ok. But will our line hold up. Every team we plays know to shut down Parker so can we run a back up plan. Last year after Parker went down it was a train wreck. From the preview we had a ton of penalties. They are fast. Defense is fast. We have good backups that should help our starters catch there breath. It will be fun and interesting with this team. Hopefully Friday at waverly we see a bit more of the starters and game plan.
Judging from the waverly game, backups are very suspect don't believe I'd use the word "good" yet, and conditioning was an issue. None of this bodes well for Trojans the OVC will be down compared to last year I believe so that will help. Working in a new QB and trying to force feed Parker will lead to some hair pulling but Trojans won't face a team anywhere near as fast as Waverly. If I'm a Trojan fan I'm looking at Valley as almost a must win because with West returning their guys Trojans could easily be looking at 0-2 come week 3. Good Luck, hard to predict this one because I don't know much about Valley but I think I'm going to give the Trojans the nod here, believe Waverly knocking them around in the scrimmage game will give them little edge and get them ready. I'll take Trojans by 7.

Beergogglebluez
SE

I’m hoping waverly was a bad night. Because I was scratching my head while that game went one. Injuries were bad. Conditioning wasn’t that great. Waverlys fast paced offense killed us. They may be one of the best teams we get to play. We have a lot of work to do. 4th down we have to have a snapper get the ball to the punter or it will be blocked. We need a option If Parker is shut down. Good defenses will contain him. Backups looked really bad. But I still think we handle valley fairly easy. I just don’t see them winning. I been wrong before. But west will be a rough game and very physical. Can’t wait to see what happens Friday.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:18 pm I’m hoping waverly was a bad night. Because I was scratching my head while that game went one. Injuries were bad. Conditioning wasn’t that great. Waverlys fast paced offense killed us. They may be one of the best teams we get to play. We have a lot of work to do. 4th down we have to have a snapper get the ball to the punter or it will be blocked. We need a option If Parker is shut down. Good defenses will contain him. Backups looked really bad. But I still think we handle valley fairly easy. I just don’t see them winning. I been wrong before. But west will be a rough game and very physical. Can’t wait to see what happens Friday.
Game is on Thursday.

Beergogglebluez
SE

coop wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:56 am
Beergogglebluez wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:18 pm I’m hoping waverly was a bad night. Because I was scratching my head while that game went one. Injuries were bad. Conditioning wasn’t that great. Waverlys fast paced offense killed us. They may be one of the best teams we get to play. We have a lot of work to do. 4th down we have to have a snapper get the ball to the punter or it will be blocked. We need a option If Parker is shut down. Good defenses will contain him. Backups looked really bad. But I still think we handle valley fairly easy. I just don’t see them winning. I been wrong before. But west will be a rough game and very physical. Can’t wait to see what happens Friday.
Game is on Thursday.

Yeah I know. It’s just habit to say Friday.

FootballFan111
Waterboy

Post by FootballFan111 »

valley is a lot better this year than what they was last season they have a great WR in Tanner Spradlin and a great QB in Andrew Shope watch out for Valley this year in the SOC II

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

In reading a much earlier comment why would Portsmouth,s conditioning be called in to play any more than Valley,s conditioning?

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:21 pm In reading a much earlier comment why would Portsmouth,s conditioning be called in to play any more than Valley,s conditioning?
I think it’s the trust in a coach like Crabtree to have his players ready more than Portsmouth’s coach

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Izladoom wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:43 pm
VetteMan wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:21 pm In reading a much earlier comment why would Portsmouth,s conditioning be called in to play any more than Valley,s conditioning?
I think it’s the trust in a coach like Crabtree to have his players ready more than Portsmouth’s coach
It's based on past tendencies and one thing, no matter the players, that is a constant is whether or not a team is conditioned and ready to go by the start of the season. Portsmouth in recent years hasn't been well conditioned and have gotten gassed by quarters 3/4, Valley typically is well conditioned just hasn't had the players recently to pull out wins. That and Trojans chasing the Tigers around Friday night with their up tempo offense really exposed that they weren't ready for that type of game in terms of conditioning, few are however unless you run that style.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Thank you for clearing that up. I just couldn't quite understand why a lot of people were talking so much about Portsmouths conditioning.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

i like Valley in this one. Looking for Shope to have a really good year

Beergogglebluez
SE

It blows my mind that the Trojans don’t have more picks in the thread. Unless I’m missing something I just don’t see a valley win. I know it’s high school and anything can happen. I see this as somewhat of a easy win. Parker will have a good game. I do worry about conditioning. Actually I’m worrying a lot. If they have a fast paced offense like waverly we might be in trouble. I’m excited to see the game. No matter what happens I want both teams to play hard and stay healthy.

Return to “Football”