Hypotheticall Matchup: 2017 Wheelersburg vs 2001 Portsmouth

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Re: Hypotheticall Matchup: 2017 Wheelersburg vs 2001 Portsmouth

Post by #ReachHigher »

Westfan wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:25 pm
#ReachHigher wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:24 pm
Westfan wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:19 pm Saw that Portsmouth team up close a couple times and they were impressive. West, Waverly, Newark Licking Valley, and Ironton were all really good teams. New Lexington with Drew Cannon was good too. Wheelersburg didn't have a great record but with Burleson at quarterback they played Portsmouth and West tough.

Wheelersburg had a great defense, but they never saw 2 backs like Portsmouth had.
We heard the same old song and dance of “Burg has never seen backs like ours” 3 weeks in a row. Ask all 3 how well they fared. Trojans had no defense. Burg would score at will while shutting those backs down. I did the numbers on my first reply. Burg is better all the way around
Numbers compared to what? Portsmouth's regular season schedule that year was much tougher than what Wheelersburg played this year. West, Waverly, and Ironton that year were loaded. The playoff teams were tough too
Whatever makes you feel better. I guess Burg played pansies all year and the trophy should have just been given to them considering all the cupcakes they played. Bottom line...Burg ran the table and went undefeated with a state championship. What did those 01 Trojans do? Oh that’s right, they watched the championship game from the couch. 1-9, 1-9, 2-8, 2-8, 5-5...toughest schedule EVER in all of Ohio out of any team that’s ever played, period! The big bad Trojans are so tough they had to drop us from their schedule lol. Props to Ironton, at least they haven’t dropped us. That’s one thing, if nothing else, I respect them for

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I didn't start this thread. It's fun and something to talk about. But honestly do you really think you can compare offensive and defensive stats of teams that played 16 years apart?

I don't know how old you are, but things are a bit different in southern Ohio than they were. Football as a whole is down. With competitive balance moving all the privates out, which in turn bumped some tough public schools around the smaller divisions are alot less tough than they were. That doesn't take anything away from Wheelersburg, they were an excellent team. But just to say one team was better because they had a better record or better stats is asinine

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

79Tiger wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:15 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:05 pm
Osu fan wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:32 pm Portsmouth by a bunch! Taking nothing away from this years Burg squad as they were fabulous and won the hardware! I've watched a lot of high school football and the 2000 and 2001 Trojans are the best I've seen around these parts and it's not really close. I would put the 1979 Ironton fighting tiger squad at the top. Just my opinion.
The 79 Ironton team?? Burg beat them like a drum in a scrimmage plus that year they played a common opponent Washington Court House. Ironton tied them 6-6 and Burg beat the 42 or 47-8.

Burg should have made the playoffs that year but I believe they only took 8 teams in each class which was AAA, AA and A. Burg was double A then.
BS. You count a scrimmage win over Ironton as proof the Burg would have beat us during the season. Ironton didn't play scrimmages to win, they played them to get a look at all the players to see what they were capable of. Burg acted like it was the super bowl because they knew they would never beat Ironton in a regular game back then. As far as the Ct. House game, we had key injuries on offense and defense that game. Otherwise we would have beat them handily. Did Burg win a title that year that I am not aware of?
Did burg and Portsmouth play in 79? Found a ironton phs score 22-18. Just curious

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Post by #ReachHigher »

Westfan wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:02 pm I didn't start this thread. It's fun and something to talk about. But honestly do you really think you can compare offensive and defensive stats of teams that played 16 years apart?

I don't know how old you are, but things are a bit different in southern Ohio than they were. Football as a whole is down. With competitive balance moving all the privates out, which in turn bumped some tough public schools around the smaller divisions are alot less tough than they were. That doesn't take anything away from Wheelersburg, they were an excellent team. But just to say one team was better because they had a better record or better stats is asinine
If we are comparing 2 teams 16 years apart, yes we can compare stats. Nothing else to go off of. Otherwise this thread shouldn’t have been started. I’m old enough and I watched both the 00 Trojans and the 01 Trojans play. They were a running team but they didn’t run as good as a few teams Burg faced this year. Burg beats the 00 and the 01 both in my opinion. The only other team I’ve seen from around here that I would put up there with this Burg squad would be the 79 Tigers.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

That 21-19 burg score kind of makes me scratch my head. That burg team was not very good. Probably in the bottom 2-3 burg teams in the last 40 years

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Burg

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Burg by a lot and anyone who thinks different doesn't know much about high school football!

Burg grad 85
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

#ReachHigher wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:35 pm The only other team I’ve seen from around here that I would put up there with this Burg squad would be the 79 Tigers.
I'm biased but you need to give 2002 West credit. They didn't win the state, but that Kenton team was unreal led by Mauk who some say is as good a high school quarterback to ever play in Ohio. The Ursuline team West beat had 5 or 6 players that went major D1 including the quarterback who started a couple years at Penn State

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Westfan wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:02 pm I didn't start this thread. It's fun and something to talk about. But honestly do you really think you can compare offensive and defensive stats of teams that played 16 years apart?

No offense but this burg team is one of the great ones. Comparing teams is just for fun but this burg team was really really good

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Well the best area team was Tri Valley and then John Glenn or Burg this year

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:11 pm Well the best area team was Tri Valley and then John Glenn or Burg this year
neutral field
[2017] Wheelersburg (OH) 24, [2017] Tri-Valley (Dresden, OH) 21

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

wobycat wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:13 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:11 pm Well the best area team was Tri Valley and then John Glenn or Burg this year
neutral field
Drew has TV at 25 and Burg at 41

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:23 pm
neutral field
Neat

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Post by #ReachHigher »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:23 pm
neutral field
Drew also had Eastwood winning the title and Madison at like 140, which would have took care of business vs South Range in a heartbeat. Drew is not always right...

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

The 2000 Portsmouth team was head and shoulders about the 2001 team. The 2000 team played some serious defense. I believe the held a very good Purcell Marian team to negative total yards in the 2nd round.

Having seen both, I would give the advantage to the 2000 Portsmouth team, but to say that either team is "hands down" better than the other is crazy.

If this topic is comparing this Wheelersburg team to 2001 Portsmouth, I would take the Pirates.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I believe the 2000 Trojans was d3 wasn't they. They did have a awesome defense. The 2000 team was way better than the 2001 team.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:14 pm I believe the 2000 Trojans was d3 wasn't they. They did have a awesome defense. The 2000 team was way better than the 2001 team.
Yes D3

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Ok,
#1. 2000 and 2001 had some similar skill players and defensive backs but had different Qb's ,linebackers and almost completely different lines and were not equal in terms of skills or accomplishments.

#2. Saying the 2000 team had no defense is either lazy or insincere. You have to have internet to post here so the scores are readily available to look up and see their defense was amazing that year. They gave up 10.0 points a game, they only gave up more than 14 points 3 times in 14 games, one of those was a 62-26 blowout against Miami Trace. They held the D5 State Champ to 6 points that year, and played 3 d4 playoff schools that combined for 7 points, they also held their first 2 playoff opponents to 12 combined points.

#3 The schedule was actually pretty decent for a d3 school. They played three tough playoff teams in Amanda Clearcreek, Ironton and Minford. Three decent teams, Chillicothe and Amanda Clearcreek who were larger teams around the .500 mark and Burg who was a d4 playoff team. Waverly had some talent but were young and finished .500. Rock Hill, Vinton County and Linsley, Wv were pretty bad that year.

#4 You probably didn't see a running attack like that this year. You had 4 seniors and a junior on the line, 3 of which got college rides if I remember correctly, 3 great blocking backs and 2 stud halfbacks in Jeremy Hamrick (UC recruit 4.4 40) Jo Jo Parker (D3 offensive player of the year and I believe is one of the top career rushers at Fairmont State College).

#5 All of that said, I have no idea how that game goes, Burg could stop the run and Portsmouth was still great against the past including an All-American db Antonio Malone who got some NFL looks. The difference might be that if Burg was able to significantly scheme against those backs the PHS passing game was nothing special at all that year, nothing that you could rely on to beat a state title caliber team and that could be the difference.

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Post by #ReachHigher »

Portsmouth98 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:32 pm Ok,
#1. 2000 and 2001 had some similar skill players and defensive backs but had different Qb's ,linebackers and almost completely different lines and were not equal in terms of skills or accomplishments.

#2. Saying the 2000 team had no defense is either lazy or insincere. You have to have internet to post here so the scores are readily available to look up and see their defense was amazing that year. They gave up 10.0 points a game, they only gave up more than 14 points 3 times in 14 games, one of those was a 62-26 blowout against Miami Trace. They held the D5 State Champ to 6 points that year, and played 3 d4 playoff schools that combined for 7 points, they also held their first 2 playoff opponents to 12 combined points.

#3 The schedule was actually pretty decent for a d3 school. They played three tough playoff teams in Amanda Clearcreek, Ironton and Minford. Three decent teams, Chillicothe and Amanda Clearcreek who were larger teams around the .500 mark and Burg who was a d4 playoff team. Waverly had some talent but were young and finished .500. Rock Hill, Vinton County and Linsley, Wv were pretty bad that year.

#4 You probably didn't see a running attack like that this year. You had 4 seniors and a junior on the line, 3 of which got college rides if I remember correctly, 3 great blocking backs and 2 stud halfbacks in Jeremy Hamrick (UC recruit 4.4 40) Jo Jo Parker (D3 offensive player of the year and I believe is one of the top career rushers at Fairmont State College).

#5 All of that said, I have no idea how that game goes, Burg could stop the run and Portsmouth was still great against the past including an All-American db Antonio Malone who got some NFL looks. The difference might be that if Burg was able to significantly scheme against those backs the PHS passing game was nothing special at all that year, nothing that you could rely on to beat a state title caliber team and that could be the difference.
You may want to start another thread....this one is 2017 Burg vs 2001 Trojans. No one said anything about the 00 defense. I did talk about the 01 defense, and yes the 2001 defense was sub-par compared to this 17 Burg unit. Different teams, yes I know, but if we are being hypothetical like the post says, then numbers do count. We heard the same thing about running attack for 3 weeks and they all got shut down. Bottom line is, there is no way to know. Kind of a pointless thread in my opinion.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

#ReachHigher wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:22 pm
Portsmouth98 wrote:
You may want to start another thread....this one is 2017 Burg vs 2001 Trojans. No one said anything about the 00 defense. I did talk about the 01 defense, and yes the 2001 defense was sub-par compared to this 17 Burg unit. Different teams, yes I know, but if we are being hypothetical like the post says, then numbers do count. We heard the same thing about running attack for 3 weeks and they all got shut down. Bottom line is, there is no way to know. Kind of a pointless thread in my opinion.
You are correct sir, I saw a lot of people mentioning 00 and 01 and I thought the topic was either / or.

Defense and Oline were really bad early in 01, but got better by the end of the year, especially against the run. They could be thrown on though, as Waverly and Licking Valley showed in the playoffs, still a great team and could definitely win but 'Burg would be the favorite for sure.

Return to “Football”