Is It Time for NCAA Division I 16 Team Playoff

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Is It Time for NCAA Division I 16 Team Playoff

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Is it time for a 16 team playoff to crown a true national champion in Division I football. Find out who has the best program by starting the playoffs the week after the end of the regular season. With the current playoffs the teams you see play in the bowl games is not the same team that was playing at the end of the regular season with the layoff the teams have.

So is it time for Division I to crown champion like the lower divisions do?

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Is It Time for NCAA Division I 16 Team Playoff

Post by mattash »

Would love to see it. Higher seed gets the home game all the way until the chip. Maybe eliminate a regular season game to counter it.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I think going to 8 teams would be fine with me.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:00 am I think going to 8 teams would be fine with me.
I’d say it’s only a matter of time before it happens just like the playoff system itself it was only a matter of time before it happened. 8 teams with the top 4 seeds getting home games in the first round.

OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

I actually think a 6 team playoff would be best. 1 & 2 seed get a bye and 3-6 are "play in games." I think quality of competition between 1-6 is close but 7 & 8 is a stretch. Expanding by any number I'm fine with honestly, but I think too 6 would be very close ball games

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

OSU22 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:34 am I actually think a 6 team playoff would be best. 1 & 2 seed get a bye and 3-6 are "play in games." I think quality of competition between 1-6 is close but 7 & 8 is a stretch. Expanding by any number I'm fine with honestly, but I think too 6 would be very close ball games
Agree. One of the nice things about college football is that in order to be the champ, you had to have had a great season. It’s as “true” of a champion as anywhere else because the bigger the tournament, the more likely a team that has sustained success over a whole season loses one game that means more and the more opportunity for a team to get hit at the “right” time versus having to be on top of their game the entire season. When the last playoff spots come down to arguments between 2 and 3 loss teams, you’ve effectively watered down the field.

Four is a good number - you have to be elite to get in and if you aren’t flawless you are guaranteed nothing. Six rewards the top couple teams with a bye and reduces some of the splitting hairs among the last team in but anything more really kills the system. Contrary to our cultural conditioning, winning a big tournament does NOT mean you are the best.

GoBucks1047
Varsity

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Under this system, I’d either keep it at 4 Teams or expand to 6 Teams at most with 4-5 champions and the best or 2 best non-champs, but if college football decided to become more uniform in conferences and conference scheduling (12 Team conferences playing 8 conference games, minimum 2 non-conference games vs. Power conferences) and no independents, I could see expansion to 8 Teams with theoretically 5-6 conference champions (not automatic) and the best 2-3 non-champs, as the restructure results in 6 power conferences and then the Group of 5 conferences (11 conferences of 12 Team conferences = 132 FBS teams; currently 128 FBS teams). Any expansion beyond 8 Teams would have to result in the regular season being cut and dilutes the playoff.

Return to “Football”