So all prviate schools recruit?

Curious
Riding the Bench

Re: So all prviate schools recruit?

Post by Curious »

Excellent topic!
My biggest concern, or perhaps what I perceive as the biggest difference between an open enrollment public school, and a private school (such as Akron St. Vincent St. Marys) is the transportation. If a student would like to take advantage of open enrolling into a district the school bus will not and is not required to go out of the normal district routes to accommodate the student from the next district. Many open enrollment students are on district boundaries where bus routes overlap and they have options on transportation for the district they would like to attend.

ASVSM pulls students from seven or eight districts that including transportation provided by the home school. The home district must provide transportation. THIS IS MANDATED BY STATE LAW. The ASVSM admissions guide book states interested students should contact their home school for transportation. Transportation from Medina is available for a fee.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

good reading material

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Curious wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:06 pm
ASVSM pulls students from seven or eight districts that including transportation provided by the home school. The home district must provide transportation. THIS IS MANDATED BY STATE LAW. The ASVSM admissions guide book states interested students should contact their home school for transportation. Transportation from Medina is available for a fee.
One small correction: the state law mandate is only if its a 30 minute commute or less. So, for example, Gallipolis City Schools has no obligation to bus a student in their district to Ironton St. Joseph, but Coal Grove would.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Post by sapientia et veritas »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:14 pm Isn't Central one of those open enrollment schools?
No. Pickerington Schools are closed enrollment. You must live in the school district to attend. You can switch between North and Central, but you have to request and get approved, sit out one year of sports, and parents provide transportation.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Rolltanks wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:22 pm
scott1297 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:04 pm There is a difference in recruiting kids or the kids just might want to go play for a good program nobody is recruiting them they recruit themselves to want to play somewhere that they have a chance of winning and being around better coaches what i am trying to say is most of the good programs dont recruit they dont have too kids want to go there automatically
You are mostly correct. D5-d7 very little recruiting goes on it can’t just with logistics. Very few major metro small schools can out draw the top dogs. However in the big divisions there is definitely major recruiting. Catholic schools can get away with lot more but the public’s that compete recruit. That’s just how it goes. Good programs like massie will still have down years. How many down years does Hartley have lol
Thanks for the comment cause I know nothing about the bigger schools but thanks for the info and IMO thats not right for them to be recruiting but oh well

Burg grad 85
sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Rolltanks wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:22 pmHow many down years does Hartley have
37. Some of them were horrible. Had a good run from 83 to 86, and then faded. They refused to play any other Columbus Catholics from 1987 to 2011. Things turned around after current coach arrived.

Curious
Riding the Bench

Post by Curious »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:07 pm
Curious wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:06 pm
One small correction: the state law mandate is only if its a 30 minute commute or less. So, for example, Gallipolis City Schools has no obligation to bus a student in their district to Ironton St. Joseph, but Coal Grove would.
The seven or eight districts I referred to are under the 30 minute commute and used to be listed by ASVSM.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Rolltanks wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:02 pmGreat topic and I will answer based on my years of fallowing high school football. All my comments will be based solely on my first hand experiences or knowledge.
Mine too.

Alter, Hartley and DeSales can't and don't recruit. Wayne and Centerville don't. None of the Toledo Catholics recruit. These schools attract but don't actively seek players.

Don't know anything about Cincinnati. There are a bunch of 7-10 county privates in Northeast Ohio. Of them, only Hoban and SVSM recruit. Massillon recruits horribly. McKinley recruits mildly.

Stark county is a mess and always has been with multiple violations every year and still can’t win state there just isn’t the major metro there to pull from without getting reported and they are public school.

There are no rules against families using open enrollment to attend schools with successful football programs.

Parents talking to parents is not necessarily recruiting. Friends encouraging friends is not necessary recruiting. Wearing clothes with team names in the bleachers at middle school games is not recruiting.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Curious wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:06 pmThe home district must provide transportation. THIS IS MANDATED BY STATE LAW.
No it isn't. The home district can pay a transportation stipend instead.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

scott1297 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:04 pm There is a difference in recruiting kids or the kids just might want to go play for a good program nobody is recruiting them they recruit themselves to want to play somewhere that they have a chance of winning and being around better coaches what i am trying to say is most of the good programs dont recruit they dont have too kids want to go there automatically
Correct. Jay Minton doesn't recruit anybody. He doesn't have time. He's busy enough with the great players he already has. He's actually annoyed when studs show up and expect to start. He gets them all cleared by OHSAA before they can join the team. He's cautious. He knows he is surrounded by jealous fans and coaches looking to catch him breaking the rules.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:09 pm I always say no home grown teams have ever won state and never will.
You don't know much about the MAC over in western Ohio.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

efarns wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:50 pmWhether you call it "recruiting" or whatever, if the answer was that the coach at Newark Catholic is so much better at coaching football than other coaches in his division, then he wouldn't be working at Newark Catholic for a teacher's salary.
Bob Jacoby left DeSales to get into the public state teacher retirement system. When he went back to head coaching at St Charles, he made a pointed, public comment about being happy to be working with higher quality private school kids. And they were St Chucks nerds inept at the manly sports.

Curious
Riding the Bench

Post by Curious »

OMG, let's sugar coat the fact that the home district is responsible for the cost of transporting their student to a private school but not to a neighboring open enrolling district.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:58 pm
Rolltanks wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:02 pmGreat topic and I will answer based on my years of fallowing high school football. All my comments will be based solely on my first hand experiences or knowledge.
Mine too.

Alter, Hartley and DeSales can't and don't recruit. Wayne and Centerville don't. None of the Toledo Catholics recruit. These schools attract but don't actively seek players.

Don't know anything about Cincinnati. There are a bunch of 7-10 county privates in Northeast Ohio. Of them, only Hoban and SVSM recruit. Massillon recruits horribly. McKinley recruits mildly.

Stark county is a mess and always has been with multiple violations every year and still can’t win state there just isn’t the major metro there to pull from without getting reported and they are public school.

There are no rules against families using open enrollment to attend schools with successful football programs.

Parents talking to parents is not necessarily recruiting. Friends encouraging friends is not necessary recruiting. Wearing clothes with team names in the bleachers at middle school games is not recruiting.
Every school I named does recruit. You are right parents can use open enrollment to send kids where they want and this is fine. If you read my
Post carefully you will see that I detailed how public schools use open enrollment to recruit not the parents. It is against the rule to accept or denie kids for open enrollment base on ability to play football. Also if you looked at enrollment numbers pre competitive balance years you will notice that schools like Mooney would always be short 2 or 3 boys short of d3. Highly unlikely that this is the case every year but it always was. Hartley tcc de salles don’t recruit lol. As I said I like the relevant football talks so I don’t want to call individuals out by name. But off the top of my head I can name so many kids over the years that were recruited by named schools. You are kidding yourself man

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:09 pm No one has ever said just private schools recruit. Pickerington Central took 2 4 star recruits from Athens. Those two are at Michigan and Pittsburg. I always say no home grown teams have ever won state and never will.
This sort of tells you that SEO doesn't get a fair shake. Bet the two boys from Athens that went to Pickerington would have went to a smaller college if not gone to Pickerington.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

noreply66 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:49 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:09 pm No one has ever said just private schools recruit. Pickerington Central took 2 4 star recruits from Athens. Those two are at Michigan and Pittsburg. I always say no home grown teams have ever won state and never will.
This sort of tells you that SEO doesn't get a fair shake. Bet the two boys from Athens that went to Pickerington would have went to a smaller college if not gone to Pickerington.
Yep. I don't blame any kid to go to another school to get ready for college

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Rolltanks wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:25 pmEvery school I named does recruit.
They don't. They're all hated by their neighbors. If anybody had even a shred of evidence, they'd be ratted out in a heartbeat like what happened with Coffman, Massillon, SVSM, and Hoban. If a private school gives out 15 academic scholarships to incoming freshmen, odds are good that one or two of them might be pretty good at sports. Many of the private Catholic schools make the academic all ohio team list nearly every year. We get smart kids. And 80% play one sport or another. ADs are fussy about the rules and coaches, for the most part, know them.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

In 2013 when Trimble went on that magical run to state to face Marion Local, the head coach for Local was interviewed by a Canton paper maybe, one of the local papers at state. In the article he discussed the benefits the kids playing in the MAC had. These included nearly all came from two parent households. His kids didn't have to worry about where their next meal came from. They had the money to attend camps and clinics. Their parents did not blindly support them, they pushed and encouraged and allowed the school and coaching staff to discipline them when needed. He always had parent volunteers and fundraising opportunities. Then he said, he knew that the kids from Trimble probably didnt have those same opportunities, he knew they were from a impoverished area, that some kids families struggled and that these struggles transferred over into the classroom and football field.

Recruiting is done by both private and public. Great programs attract talent, always has, always will. The big advantages lie in the fact that some school districts are not affected by outside influences like others are.

Football is a numbers game, MAC schools routinely dress 70 + kids in D IV to D VII, that should tell you something. The next man up for them isnt a sophomore, it sometimes is a senior or junior who would start for most other teams.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Recruiting by both public and private high schools in Ohio is a time honored fact of life, complicated by open enrollment in recent years. Short of creating a separate governing body and playoff system for the privates, and an "open" classification within OHSAA for publics that want to focus on big time athletics, we who follow SE Ohio sports will have to embrace the suck or support our local teams to get better. No amount of rule making short of separation will level the playing field.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Buddy Garrity
Waterboy

Post by Buddy Garrity »

I believe that if Lawrence county would ever happen to have a perennial state power in football, It would have to be Ironton St. Joe. If all the best in the area "decided" to go there, imagine what kind of Div. VII team could be assembled year in and year out.....

Return to “Football”