SEOP

Re: week8: wheelersburg @ Minford

Post by fbnut »

Very dead for a burg-minford thread.

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

Burg definitely the favorite here. do think minford will be able to move the ball on offense. look for this to be like 42-21 or 35-21 something in that area.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Minford usually plays burg tough. See how burg does on grass for the first time this year. I'm guessing grass will be tall and wet.

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

kvnchambers wrote:Burg definitely the favorite here. do think minford will be able to move the ball on offense. look for this to be like 42-21 or 35-21 something in that area.
I'm curious on why you think Minford will be able to move the ball on offense and score 21 when no other team has been able to accomplish that against Wheelersburg this year. I'm not saying it is impossible but would love for you to elaborate on how? Do you believe Minford's offense is better than Jackson's? If so, how? I think the game may be close, too, but Minford seems to have a tough time moving the ball against better defenses. At least, that's how it appears on the scoreboard.

siderman57
Freshman Team

Post by siderman57 »

I say Burg takes this one in Triple Overtime.... :roll:

Southernohiohitters
Waterboy

Post by Southernohiohitters »

I will reply to your post FIDO, because Minford's offense has been very capable of moving the football this year and putting up a lot of total yards. That's the key though, they haven't been finishing drives due to their large number of turnovers in 3 or 4 games this year. Minford's defense alone could put 14 points on the board, and the offense is very capable of moving the ball and scoring when they stay out of the spread offense and don't pass the football. There's a lot of scenarios that could make this a very close and competitive game, but Wheelersburg has been a powerhouse this year, and I'm taking nothing from them. As I said earlier, this will be the best defense they've seen this season. But Wheelersburg does have an explosive offense, so it should be a really exciting game. I think it will be a very low scoring 7-6 or 14-7 game, but I know how good Wheelersburg is, and if Minford turns the ball over as they have previously, then Wheelersburg could easily take it 28-0.

here4fun
Varsity

Post by here4fun »

Outside of a 0-6 Gallia Academy and Northwest Minford has only put up 22 points since week 3 and Paint Valley at this point is the only team they have played thats above 500 until Burg . I personally think this will be a shut out if Burg dont take out their starters early for week 9......

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

syyoung wrote:I will reply to your post FIDO, because Minford's offense has been very capable of moving the football this year and putting up a lot of total yards. That's the key though, they haven't been finishing drives due to their large number of turnovers in 3 or 4 games this year. Minford's defense alone could put 14 points on the board, and the offense is very capable of moving the ball and scoring when they stay out of the spread offense and don't pass the football. There's a lot of scenarios that could make this a very close and competitive game, but Wheelersburg has been a powerhouse this year, and I'm taking nothing from them. As I said earlier, this will be the best defense they've seen this season. But Wheelersburg does have an explosive offense, so it should be a really exciting game. I think it will be a very low scoring 7-6 or 14-7 game, but I know how good Wheelersburg is, and if Minford turns the ball over as they have previously, then Wheelersburg could easily take it 28-0.
I personally think ironton and Jackson both have a better d than minford.. I guess time will tell I definitely don't see minford scoring 14 points on burg. No one else has and we have faced some "capeable" teams

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Close early.....most likely a running clock in the 2nd half.

Pirates 40
Falcons 6

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

Thank you syyoung. It's just so darn difficult to get a read on a team without actually seeing them play. There are too many homer posts on this site that it's virtually impossible to get any valid information. You can garner some information from like opponents but that's dicey at best. I do believe the level of competition and how well a team performs in those games can also help form an educated guess but it's still a guess. Anyway, the Burg is favored to run the table in the SOC II until they don't.

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

While I dont see Burg's offense being held to 1 or 2 TD's, I do think Minford can do a good job eating up clock if they can play more physical up front and hang on to the football!

Burg will try to spread Minford's defense and they will also try to stack the box with their defense against Minford's primary run offense. I think the key for Minford will be running the football successfully and also taking some shots through the air to keep Burg's defense honest.

The only team that has stopped Minford's offense (wing t anyway) is Minford through the turnovers. Burg will have by far the best defense Minford has faced so even eliminating turnovers all together may make it tough for Minford to move the sticks. If Noah Gray can get some running room out of the pocket against an aggressive Burg defense, that may be one area Minford can capitalize on.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

I think this game will be closer than most think. Minford could very easily be 6-1, and the Paint Valley game was before they made adjustments to going back to different schemes offensively. This game is at Minford, and the kids will know what is at stake with the pre-season expectations heading down the drain, they have another golden opportunity to turn it around in eye opening fashion. I will probably get a lot of heat for saying this, but I say Minford is 2-3 touchdowns better than west on a dry field. The bottom line is this, Wheelersburg is an excellent football, extremely talented, and on paper it looks like Wheelersburg should be something like 4-5 touchdowns favorites. I would love to see what the Minford defense can do if the offense does NOT turn over the football, which hasn't happened yet this year, we will see if the old saying is true "you are who you are after 3/4 of the season, or we will see if the Falcons can improve ball security and really allow this defense to be a difference maker in a big game such as this.

If Minford turns over the ball:
Wheelersburg 42
Minford 6

If Minford does not turn over the ball:
flip a coin.

Ok, I will be a homer, and put on those red and gray shades, and say Minford has a turnover free football game and shakes up the conference with a 24 to 20 upset victory over the Pirates.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

"Will need to see how bad Burg beats Minford and how well Valley handles Bye. Then we need to assess the injuries. At this point and time I would take the Pirates but a lot can happen between now and next Friday." - Burg - Valley Week 9 Thread.

Come out and give everything you have Falcons, out will them! Be willing to do more than anyone else!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

This will be Burg's first (and only) game on natural grass this season.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Watching minford against west I saw that minfords box defense was pretty good. They will have to defend the pass as well to beat burg. Offensively I can't see minford moving the ball as well as they think. Burg has the ability to create negative yardage making teams face third and longs which will put the falcons in passing situations.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

The problem here is if Minford thinks they can run all night then they will be dominated. Burg will stack the box and force Minford to throw. When that happens to a QB who hasn't thrown a lot on the season, he is going to make mistakes. It's going to be tough sledding. They have to stay balanced. Burg will face the best D they have seen all year. They will have to be balanced as well. I think Burg will show more this week than they have the past few. They tend to evolve the offense and by now it is light years away from week 1.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Pirate attack very balanced. They can pound it at you. Burg has played very few games that have even challenged them beyond second quarter. Hopefully Mindord can get them to play 4 quarters. Make first cold night of football worth it.

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

took in practice today. players seemed very focused and flying around on defense. I can tell you this they are taking Minford very seriously and rightfully so. Minford is a well coached team. just seem to have turnover issues this year that has killed their offense from what I have read.

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

Minford catches Burg looking ahead to Valley and forces them it several costly mistakes.

Burg has a chance to kick the extra point and tie or go for 2 and the win in the final seconds.

Minford wins 21-20.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Badboy wrote:Minford catches Burg looking ahead to Valley and forces them it several costly mistakes.

Burg has a chance to kick the extra point and tie or go for 2 and the win in the final seconds.

Minford wins 21-20.
Burg coaches and players have never looked ahead of any game. Not being focused and ready to go could hurt them, but even then, I've rarely seen it.

Return to “Football”