Ironton the OVC and Playoff Points

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Ironton the OVC and Playoff Points

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

cg, I been a bengals fan. since 1968. I was 8 when they come to town. so I'm what you call battle tested to scrutiny I spect.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

WELL AT LEAST SOMEBODY APPRECIATED MY POSTS ABOUT THE 2 SISTERS FROM PORTSMOUTH THAT'S A MISSIN HERE.OLDER POSTERS WILL GET IT.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Ironton will win the OVC easily. Chesapeake doesn't like power football. That game won't be close.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Don't think the OVC ask Ironton in for instant fix. Not saying anything is wrong with the league but the OVC didn't just want them for football.

PantherPride
Varsity

Post by PantherPride »

Westfan wrote:Ironton will win the OVC easily. Chesapeake doesn't like power football. That game won't be close.
Just curious what kind of football you think Chesapeake does like.

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

PantherPride wrote:
Westfan wrote:Ironton will win the OVC easily. Chesapeake doesn't like power football. That game won't be close.

run , run , run , run , and then you guys are gonna run some more!!!!!!!! LOL

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

Some one please tell me where is all this power that Ironton has cause it's been missing for the last three weeks. Their 0-3 and about to become 0-4 with or without all their starters.

sballchck
Freshman Team

Post by sballchck »

Is making the playoffs the only thing that matters?

Playing for a conference championship is one of the most fun things to do, and I dare say, that every person who is alive and won an OVC championship (or any conference's championship) can tell you what year they won, what teams they beat, and what play or plays were made to make it happen.

This is why I think it is great for Ironton and Portsmouth to be in the OVC. It gives the kids something to play for that matters (beating your neighbors), and that experience will create memories that will last for a lifetime. Sure, it may not be some state playoff game, but it may be a game against your future brother in law! That sure does make the holidays fun! :-)

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

PantherPride wrote:
West has played Chesapeake several times in the last few years. Several times Chesapeake had good teams. We played the same power game that Ironton plays. Granted this is a different year, but Chesapeake didn't defend it well at all.

Also yeah Chesapeake has a better record but that has more to do with competition. Had Chesapeake played the same 3 teams Ironton has, they too would be winless.

IMO Ironton will dominate the OVC and none of the games will be within 2 touchdowns.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

Henry Jones, Jr. wrote:Is making the playoffs the only thing that matters?

Playing for a conference championship is one of the most fun things to do, and I dare say, that every person who is alive and won an OVC championship (or any conference's championship) can tell you what year they won, what teams they beat, and what play or plays were made to make it happen.

This is why I think it is great for Ironton and Portsmouth to be in the OVC. It gives the kids something to play for that matters (beating your neighbors), and that experience will create memories that will last for a lifetime. Sure, it may not be some state playoff game, but it may be a game against your future brother in law! That sure does make the holidays fun! :-)
Great point here but to answer your question. Yes making the playoffs is the only thing that matters at Ironton

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

If you haven't won any conference championships or very fee it might matter more. I would say most teams that have won several or even a few would say the playoffs matter more. I would rather make the playoffs. JMO

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

If you run the table in the OVC, just don't see enough points to break the top 8 spots in the region.

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

zebra77 wrote:If you run the table in the OVC, just don't see enough points to break the top 8 spots in the region.
OVC team start league play there will be winners and losers in every one so there will be points to be had, this is an odd year because Coal Grove seems to be bad along with Portsmouth, Fairland can usually be good for at least a .500 record. South Point and Rock Hill you never know? Gallipolis will be entering next year and I think inviting Jackson would help everyone. Then you wouldn't have to worry about secondary points or just points. all these teams are down even the GREAT IRONTON!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

if you win games you'll win championships.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

but it is great now. the kids can play for league championships, and individual honors as well. those trophies for the league make you proud. but yes, playoffs is and should be the ultimate goal of any team at any level. and anybody can get hot from there.----------but in this case you have to win one 1st. and we've dug a huge hole.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

According to Drew Pastuers website Ironton even with a loss Friday and going 6-4 has a good shot at being the 8th seed for the playoffs. Chesapeake has a shot at being 7-3 with 3 losses at the end of the season can be an 8th seed.

Now as for playing for a conference title or individual honors. Who cares? a conference title don't equal a good team. Ironton has a ton of conference titles and I guarantee every player would trade one for those for an extra win in the playoffs. Conference titles only mean anything in college where wining a conference really means something. Individual honors in a conference are all political. It's coaches getting together saying you vote for my guy I'll vote for yours to be all conference.

sportsfan
JV Team

Post by sportsfan »

For teams that have been in the OVC, and for other leagues I'm sure, the league title does mean something. It's a payoff for the hard work of the season, community pride and bragging rights for the off season.
Only those who are arrogant or haven't won them say they don't matter.

sballchck
Freshman Team

Post by sballchck »

SportsFan wrote:For teams that have been in the OVC, and for other leagues I'm sure, the league title does mean something. It's a payoff for the hard work of the season, community pride and bragging rights for the off season.
I agree.

Now with Portstmouth, Ironton, and Gallipolis in 2016, I think the OVC Conference Championship really does mean something. My goodness, did you go to an OVC Basketball game last season? It was awesome-the intensity, the competition. I would love for the parity and level of competition to be the same in football. The addition of the new teams, especially Ironton in football, has made all of the OVC schools sharpen it up a bit, and will eventually lead to a much better overall league.

As for this year, it will all be dealt with on the field. After the season is over and a 6-4 OVC team doesn't make the playoffs, we will be able to analyze why, and really should a 6-4 team be in the playoffs in the first place? What would be the real concern would be if a 10-0 or 9-1 OVC team doesn't make the playoffs, then there is an issue. Until that happens, the pot will just be stirred.

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

Henry Jones, Jr. wrote:
SportsFan wrote:For teams that have been in the OVC, and for other leagues I'm sure, the league title does mean something. It's a payoff for the hard work of the season, community pride and bragging rights for the off season.
I agree.

Now with Portstmouth, Ironton, and Gallipolis in 2016, I think the OVC Conference Championship really does mean something. My goodness, did you go to an OVC Basketball game last season? It was awesome-the intensity, the competition. I would love for the parity and level of competition to be the same in football. The addition of the new teams, especially Ironton in football, has made all of the OVC schools sharpen it up a bit, and will eventually lead to a much better overall league.

As for this year, it will all be dealt with on the field. After the season is over and a 6-4 OVC team doesn't make the playoffs, we will be able to analyze why, and really should a 6-4 team be in the playoffs in the first place? What would be the real concern would be if a 10-0 or 9-1 OVC team doesn't make the playoffs, then there is an issue. Until that happens, the pot will just be stirred.
I agree also about winning ovc is a good thing!!

a 6-4 ironton has a real legit shot of getting in but im not sure about a 9-1 cheseapeake they are in 2 different divisions/ regions and it appears cheseapeake region is much stronger than irontons!!!

peakes region has 7 (3-0 teams) to irontons 4

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Winning the OVC is great if that's all your fans have expectations of, that's how you get complacent and you start to celebrate a 5-5 season with an OVC title as a great job. It's not, that's why the league is one of the weakest leagues in Ohio.

Return to “Football”