Final year of the SEOAL; 3 sport affiliate membership in '16

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Re: Final year of the SEOAL; 3 sport affiliate membership in

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

teach1coach2 wrote:Prediction:

Within the next year, Marietta announces they are coming back to the SEOAL and they reform the league with 4 teams (Jackson, Logan, Warren).
You had this with Gallia. But your desperation to join the TVC and making it as though you could not survive with only 4 teams ruined that idea. So don't screw it up this time if you get the chance. :mrgreen:

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

I think a 3 team seoal could survive until they find a few teams . Warren Logan and Jackson could play a home and home. That's 4 games . It's do able short term. I would much rather play Logan twice than play a nelsonville York and Gallipolis and would rather play warren twice over a vc and river balley anyday. Just my opinion.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

noreply66 wrote:

Within the next year, Marietta announces they are coming back to the SEOAL and they reform the league with 4 teams (Jackson, Logan, Warren).
Zanesville could join that travel list
Chillicothe is the best fit in my opinion...Jackson-Logan-Warren Chillicothe. Convincing them to come is another story but it makes sense from a size of school standpoint.

They are my vote lol.

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

Hopefully, now that we know who are dedicated to stay in the SEOAL, they will be proactive in looking at expansion and not expand too big or far and be able to bring stability to the league. Marrietta is clearly the 1st team to go after. Athens should be looked at next even though we all know they aren't leaving the TVC anytime soon. After that, I'd keep an eye out on what was occurring in the MSAC in WV. Parkersburg, Point Pleasant, and Ripley have been trying to leave the primarily I-64 (between Huntington and Charleston). If they are successful, I think they could be looked at as teams the SEOAL could potentially add. One other school to look at is Parkersburg South in the OVAC-TRAC since they have to travel a lot for conference games (100-150 minute drives) and would like to travel less for games. I'm not saying they will add all of the schools mentioned, but they should look at them for consideration. And I wouldn't add a team if it makes a trip to a school within the league over 2 hours.

greyhoundsbob
Waterboy

Post by greyhoundsbob »

Another prediction: The TVC grows increasingly disgruntled with Athens winning everything every year. It's no secret Athens is too big for that league, and I don't think the other TVC schools are going to sit by idly forever while one school wins 90 - 95 percent of the league titles every season.

Logan
Jackson
Warren

+

Marietta
Athens

The SEOAL should just keep it simple with the five largest schools in the immediate area. Chillicothe is too far west for the Washington County schools in the SEOAL. They are basically already a perfect fit for SCOL. Good luck convincing them to leave that league. Gallipolis is now too small for the SEOAL. I think they are really good fit for the new OVC along with Ironton and Portsmouth. That league will compete with the SOC 2 in the near future for the title of best small school league in the area.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Marietta is now basically in a 5 team league in the ECOL (them + Cambridge, Dover, New Philly, Zanesville) since the ECOL is not going to have cross division games anymore in a couple years. With only 4 league football games, they might as well also be a member of the SEOAL and pick up three more football games.

I can't think of any sports it would not work in as long as the SEOAL was willing to schedule around the ECOL. Give Marietta the best of both worlds. If one of those leagues would fold, they would still already be in a league.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Logan will be the next to leave

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

teach1coach2 wrote:Marietta is now basically in a 5 team league in the ECOL (them + Cambridge, Dover, New Philly, Zanesville) since the ECOL is not going to have cross division games anymore in a couple years. With only 4 league football games, they might as well also be a member of the SEOAL and pick up three more football games.

I can't think of any sports it would not work in as long as the SEOAL was willing to schedule around the ECOL. Give Marietta the best of both worlds. If one of those leagues would fold, they would still already be in a league.
That's a nice idea. Hopefully the ECOL doesn't give Bishop Rosecrans the boot and combine divisions. Then it would be tough for Marrietta to duel-league.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

No matter who comes or goes in the ECOL, the small schools (Meadowbrook, Coshocton, RiverView, and Rosecrans) will not go back to playing the large school. So if any team left, it would NOT go back to 1 league with no divisions.

So again, Marietta should join the SEOAL again.

And I still predict they will.

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

I hope Marietta to the SEOAL happens. And I'd love to see Prince of Darkness' prediction to come true too and maybe get a 6th team to join who is similar in size and fits geographically.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I agree. The small schools in the ECOL might be looking at forming a new league while Dover- New Philly look north. With no crossover games, the league will change and maybe quickly.

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

GoBucks1047 wrote:I hope Marietta to the SEOAL happens. And I'd love to see Prince of Darkness' prediction to come true too and maybe get a 6th team to join who is similar in size and fits geographically.
Word on the street is that Athens may now be interested. Apparently they don't want to suffer the impending beatings they are going to get from the TVC Ohio teams in the next few years as pay back. :mrgreen: Their decision will supposedly hinge at least partly on the outcome of the two SEOAL games they play this year. So if you want Athens back Logan and Warren better let them win this year. ;-) :mrgreen:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Ground Buck wrote:
GoBucks1047 wrote:I hope Marietta to the SEOAL happens. And I'd love to see Prince of Darkness' prediction to come true too and maybe get a 6th team to join who is similar in size and fits geographically.
Word on the street is that Athens may now be interested. Apparently they don't want to suffer the impending beatings they are going to get from the TVC Ohio teams in the next few years as pay back. :mrgreen: Their decision will supposedly hinge at least partly on the outcome of the two SEOAL games they play this year. So if you want Athens back Logan and Warren better let them win this year. ;-) :mrgreen:
That will not work with Burk

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

noreply66 wrote:
Ground Buck wrote:
That will not work with Burk
Well the way the Athens coaches were pointing and laughing at the Logan scrimmage Burk may have no say in it. They seemed very confident. :mrgreen:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I sat behind the Athens coaches and they were not doing as you said. Do you ever tell the truth on here?
Now at the Marietta scrimmage they DID point and cry from the sidelines lol

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

From a friend in Marietta, they said Athens looked down right poor!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Is Athens picking up any help from over on the hocking river :lol:

greyhoundsbob
Waterboy

Post by greyhoundsbob »

Basically, there needs to be a viable league in the area for the big boys to play in. The SEOAL might have to suffer for a couple of years with just 3 members, but I think the league will survive. The current members have nowhere else to go. There are two area large schools in particular that are a better fit for the SEOAL along with its three present members than they are their current leagues, and I think there is a good chance one or both of them are eventually back where they should be.

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

Prince of Darkness wrote:Basically, there needs to be a viable league in the area for the big boys to play in. The SEOAL might have to suffer for a couple of years with just 3 members, but I think the league will survive. The current members have nowhere else to go. There are two area large schools in particular that are a better fit for the SEOAL along with its three present members than they are their current leagues, and I think there is a good chance one or both of them are eventually back where they should be.
I did a bit of thinking today. I feel like if Marietta does join the SEOAL, Athens actually leaves the TVC for the SEOAL, the smaller ECOL schools and possibly even Cambridge start a new league like what Paladin suggested while Dover & New Philly go looking north, Zanesville may get left out for the ECOL like Jackson, Logan, and Warren have been in the SEOAL, and if Zanesville gets with no other options, I think the SEOAL would consider extending an offer to them to join if they're expanding to 6 members, but if Athens isn't in the SEOAL at the time while Marrieta is and/or if the SEOAL looks at WV schools to potential add, then I don't think Zanesville would stand a chance at getting accepted. I wish there were better, quicker connector roads from Athens or Logan to Zanesville. Otherwise, I think Zanesville would be looking at better chance of rejoining the SEOAL.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

This needs repeating -- Zanesville went into the SEOAL as their LAST option to get into a league. They left because the current AD was also the basketball coach who wanted better competition for BB and less bad travel and more eastern District teams for travel ( along with Columbus schools -- the I-70 east-west schedule). They hated the SEO travel and I don't see that changing even if a spot is open in the SEOAL. Marietta was foolish for leaving and not much you can say about the wussies of bullpuppy fame, but both belong back in the SEOAL..

While I'm an old time SEOAL guy, I think Logan is finally getting a new perspective. I'd hate to see them leave but SEO will continue to shrink in population while Logan,as a bedroom community commute to Lancaster-Columbus, will remain stable and even grow as people flee the high cost Metro area for cheaper living in Hocking County. If an opportunity comes, I see Logan leaving. Meanwhile they would welcome Marietta back and take the wussies back into the league. Ideally, 6 teams should be a goal, but needs to be someone where travel isn't an issue. A WV school of size would do.

Return to “Football”