The Mayor's Plan for 24-team TVC

The Little General
Riding the Bench

Re: The Mayor's Plan for 24-team TVC

Post by The Little General »

I seriously doubt we have any chance of getting those teams into a room to discuss an invitation and I really dont see it passing when the small school alignemnts SUCK that bad.

The Little General
Riding the Bench

Post by The Little General »

SOUTHEASTERN - Athens, Gallipolis, Marietta, Warren
OHIO - Alexander, Meigs, Nelsonville-York, River Valley, Vinton County, Wellston
HOCKING - Belpre, Crooksville, Federal Hocking, Fort Frye, Frontier, Trimble
VALLEY - Eastern, Miller, South Gallia, Southern, Wahama, Waterford
TRIO - Jackson, Hannan, and Logan

TRY THIS ONE! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The Little General wrote:I seriously doubt we have any chance of getting those teams into a room to discuss an invitation and I really dont see it passing when the small school alignemnts SUCK that bad.
I'm beyond over it and care far less than most sports fans in Jackson do....but what is so terrible with his small school alignments?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Ironman92 wrote:
The Little General wrote:I seriously doubt we have any chance of getting those teams into a room to discuss an invitation and I really dont see it passing when the small school alignemnts SUCK that bad.
I'm beyond over it and care far less than most sports fans in Jackson do....but what is so terrible with his small school alignments?
He put all the long trips from the hocking in one part.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Sorry Jackson-not happening

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

Want to correct a previously mentioned statement by Raiderball about Athens being against the Expansion of the S.E.O.A.L back when Zanesville,Portsmouth,Ironton and Chillicothe came in. I know the person who was the former administrator from Jackson who attended the meeting. Jackson was against expansion.We have talked about this several times and all that was needed was for Athens to vote no to expansion and it would not have happened instead they voted yes. A few weeks later they were accepted into the TVC so they had to have been in contact with the TVC even before they voted yes to expansion.Just wanted to clear that up.Nobody scorned them and they voted yes to expand and then left.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

A lot of thought went into this plan. It makes a lot of sense. Having said that, something that everyone needs to realize is that if you have 24 schools, you have 24 separate agendas. Every school wants to do what is best for that school. You also have personal agendas where every school representative may vote based on personal agendas (such as things that happened in the past) rather than what is best for the school. That creates too many variables. I don't think there is any way to get all 24 schools to agree that this is best for each of their schools. I also don't believe there is any way to get every school representative to put aside personal agendas and vote for this. That's hard enough to do in smaller conferences.

In hindsight, this plan very well could have played itself out (plus or minus a couple different schools) had the SEOAL not made a fatal mistake. Most reading this probably think that mistake was adding Chillicothe, Zanesville, Ironton and Portsmouth in 2006, but that isn't what I'm talking about. I want to take you back to the 1960s. This is where the SEOAL made its fatal mistake, it just took 50 years to fully play itself out. Back in the 1960s, small schools throughout southeastern Ohio were consolidating with each other. This caused two different problems: first, you had new schools with larger enrollments that needed to find a conference to play in (such as Vinton County and Warren); second, not all consolidations were equal ---- Nelsonville and York consolidating created a larger school, but not nearly as large as say most of Hocking County consolidating into Logan. This created an even greater size disparity between schools in the SEOAL at that time. So what happened? New schools such as Vinton County and Warren asked to join the SEOAL, but were told no. So they did the only thing they could do and formed a new conference called the TVC, with newly formed Federal Hocking and city school Belpre that was looking for a conference to join. Creation of the TVC allowed the newly consolidated schools to have a conference of their own, since the SEOAL would not accept them. But creation of the TVC also allowed smaller schools in the SEOAL an option to leave the SEOAL and join the TVC with schools more similar in enrollment numbers than existed in the SEOAL. So the fatal error of the SEOAL was not seeing the big picture in the 1960s. When the newly consolidated schools formed and wanted to join the SEOAL, the SEOAL should have said yes and split into divisions at that time. Or more specifically, maybe the SEOAL should have added Vinton County and Warren instead of longer drive Ironton for a second time. The lower enrollment schools in the SEOAL then could have played in a SEOAL division with schools more similar in size to themselves and they would have had no reason to want to leave the SEOAL. Most of the history of the SEOAL could have been saved because very few - if any - of the schools would have ever left. I don't believe the SEOAL ever did anything to try and convince schools not to leave. Not very proactive. NY was the first to go in the late 60s. A few years later, NY turned into a football power. A few years after that NY won a state championship in football. Is it coincidence that NY won the state championship in 1981 and Wellston left the SEOAL in 1982 and Meigs left the SEOAL in 1983? NY showed a model where a school that struggled with larger schools in the SEOAL could become a powerhouse when playing schools more similar in size to itself. As these schools left the SEOAL, the SEOAL had to expand its footprint further and further to remain viable. NY was replaced with Waverly. For most schools, that was a longer drive. Wellson and Meigs left, along with Waverly and Ironton, and were replaced by Marietta and Warren. For some schools in the SEOAL at that time, those became longer road trips, although Ironton was always a long trip for everyone. Point Pleasant and River Valley came and went. The nail that sealed the coffin was the 2006 expansion. Now you have schools hours apart from each other in one conference. Athens left. Now, not only do you have schools hours from each other, you have a hole in the center of your geographical footprint. Athens was kind of the magic connector to the long-time members. Athens is close to Gallia and Jackson. Athens is close to Warren and Marietta. Athens is close to Logan. With Athens gone, Gallia and Jackson are not close to Warren and Marietta or even Logan. Add the fact that Ironton, Portsmouth, Chillicothe and Zanesville are even further away, and now all of a sudden you have a SEOAL that is spread out with schools that start thinking they need to find a better situation for themselves with travel time. And just like that, the SEOAL goes from 10 schools down to 3. The league becomes a sinking ship. Had more progressive thinkers been in charge in the 1960s, this all could have been avoided. The plan laid out by the Mayor of Jackson very well could have existed today plus or minus a few schools. The only difference would be that the Mayors Plan would be the Tri Valley Conference. If progressive people had been in charge at SEOAL schools in the 1960s, the Mayors Plan would have been the reality for the SEOAL.

The SEOAL survived for nearly 50 years after NY left by taking in schools further and further out of its original footprint. (I realize Ironton and Portsmouth and New Boston were members back in the 1920's, but I'm more so referring to the multiple decades of the SEOAL after those schools left in the late 1920's. The SEOAL went 40 years without any changes at all until the 1960s consolidations started and created a dynamic that led to changes.) The TVC was founded and started expanding its geographic footprint, but in a way that more so consolidated schools within its footprint. Every school district in the TVC touches at least one other TVC school geographically. Many TVC schools are completely surrounded by other TVC schools (whether in the Ohio or Hocking division). The TVC expanded with geography in mind, while the SEOAL expanded to survive. Big difference. But, had the SEOAL added the founding members of the TVC in the 1960s and created divisions, then NY could have been placed in the SEOAL division with the newer schools. Wellston could have been placed in that division. As schools added or lost enrollment, they could have switched out with each other easily. Warren was a much smaller school in the late 60s, while Meigs was a much larger school at that time. Maybe, for example, those schools switched divisions with each other sometime in the 1980s................about the time Meigs left the SEOAL and Warren left the TVC perhaps? Then, if this two division SEOAL wanted to consolidate further, it could have added another division for the smallest schools in the same geographic footprint ---- essentially most of what is now the TVC Hocking. That way, all schools in the region would be under the SEOAL banner. But that never happened. Instead of expanding, the SEOAL allowed the TVC to be formed. The rest is history. Now we see ideas of possibly creating one conference for the region ------- but the conference would be called the TVC, not the SEOAL. However, the TVC teams as a whole don't see things playing out like this. And maybe most of that goes back to the bitterness and resentment of not being allowed to join the SEOAL in the 1960s. Or, maybe it goes back to the bitterness and resentment for some of the teams that left the SEOAL that were then looked down on by those that remained in the SEOAL. Whatever the case, you have schools that will never agree to this idea to expand the TVC no matter how well thought out or logical the plan may be.
Last edited by NYBuckeye96 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

I wish the Jackson posters would just drop it. The TVC doesn't want Jackson and they sure as hell don't want Jackson realigning their conference. Do you realize how arrogant that is. Having said that, Jackson football is loaded for years to come. They will be a team that goes 6-4 and 2 weeks deep in the playoffs. So jackson posters just drop it , the program will be fine, and all these other posters who giggle , laugh , and think somehow your program is better than jackson or Logan because you have a conference , well you'll still be 2-8 and playing the same old bad football.

Scotty Hobart
Riding the Bench

Post by Scotty Hobart »

Viking96 wrote:I wish the Jackson posters would just drop it. The TVC doesn't want Jackson and they sure as hell don't want Jackson realigning their conference. Do you realize how arrogant that is. Having said that, Jackson football is loaded for years to come. They will be a team that goes 6-4 and 2 weeks deep in the playoffs. So jackson posters just drop it , the program will be fine, and all these other posters who giggle , laugh , and think somehow your program is better than jackson or Logan because you have a conference , well you'll still be 2-8 and playing the same old bad football.
You make some good points. It is laughable that the mayor of Jackson has the nads to try to tell the TVC what they should do to make the league better. Of course we all know this would stop coming up if Nelsonville and Southern would let it drop. Both those schools have their hidden agendas since Southern wants away from Trimble and Wahama, and Nelsonville wants away from Athens. I think ole Paladin calls that "running from competition" doesn't he? :lol:

Boston Creampuff
Riding the Bench

Post by Boston Creampuff »

Viking96 wrote:I wish the Jackson posters would just drop it. The TVC doesn't want Jackson and they sure as hell don't want Jackson realigning their conference. Do you realize how arrogant that is. Having said that, Jackson football is loaded for years to come. They will be a team that goes 6-4 and 2 weeks deep in the playoffs. So jackson posters just drop it , the program will be fine, and all these other posters who giggle , laugh , and think somehow your program is better than jackson or Logan because you have a conference , well you'll still be 2-8 and playing the same old bad football.

I wonder two things:

1. How does every team in a conference go 2-8?

2. If the conference is that bad, why would you want to join? Are there some of theose "Duk and Run" adminsitrators from Atens working there now?

Personally, I desperately need Jackson to join. Getting into a more mediocre division will make our program at least look better form the outside. I wish you guys in the TVC would just take a moment to realize how important it is for the whole conference that we let these guys in. The TVC needs a top notch buckeye football program. So come on! Vote YES to Jackson and YES to BUCKEYE dominance!

Pitstop Billy
Freshman Team

Post by Pitstop Billy »

Its a sad state of affairs in Nelsonville right now. The only divisional realignment we should be in favor of is this:

ATHENS
LOGAN
JACKSON
GALLIA ACADEMY
WARREN
NELSONVILLE-YORK

If we still had the PE teacher in charge, we wouldnt be afraid to play a schedule like this. But, now we want to fill our schedule with Alexander, Wellston, and River Valley. How many ways can you spell disappointment?

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Won't work. Too far of drives from Gallipolis to Warren, etc. That's why the SEOAL is dead. You can phrase it any way you want to but, it won't work in today's economy. I don't get why some posters will still make it work. Logan should go to the MSL, Warren to the OVAC, Gallia is already set for the OVC and Jackson should bein the SOC2. It is that simple. Logan would compete with solid competition with Amanda-Clearcreek, Bloom-Carrol, etc., with being somewhat comparable in size and closer travelling distances. Warren would be able to build up their entire athletic programs. Gallia is a done deal. Their farthest drive is Portsmouth. For Jackson, they would play into the main staple of the SOC2, that being football. With Burg, West, Minford, Valley and Waverly, Jackson's farthest drive would be Portsmouth West. Plus, all SOC2 schools travel fairly well. It would be a win-win for those schools and those respective conferences.

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

Despite Howard's call to end the topic of the potential TVC expansion, I feel like talking about it some. Jackson's Mayor's plan is well thought out and I'm sure has been worked on over a long period of time, but I don't the 4 divisions would work out very well. If you're going to have 24 teams in 1 conference, especially a conference who's majority of its current members are less than 110 boys. Seeing how the Hocking Division thrives on longer conference schedules, you would have to have a maximum of 3 divisions. Looking at the setups from enrollment. I feel like the divisions would have to be set up like this (Hocking-Ohio-SEOAL) 8-8-8, 10-8-6, or 10-7-7 to truly work out. Although I'd love to talk about the division alignments, to save time, I'll be realistic and actually start eliminating teams from the list of possible expansion teams who won't be making the cut.

Gallia Academy, as said in previous posts, wouldn't bolt the OVC for the TVC just to play its former SEOAL members, especially since Gallia Academy faced a decent drop in enrollment while most of the other members remained the same or increased so GA is out. Warren is already heading to the OVAC and may be even looking towards becoming the 10th member of the ECOL so Warren would have to be cut from the list, and as long as the ECOL isn't falling apart, Marietta wouldn't leave it, especially if Warren joins, thus cutting Marietta as well. Logan may be decently close to the TVC, but it's size does hurt it and I unfortunately is too much and has to be removed from the list. I actually keep Jackson on the list being similar in size compared to Athens and being located with the TVC though I think they would be located at the very bottom of the expansion list. The other remaining teams on the expansion list (in alphabetical order): Crooksville, Fort Frye, and Frontier. Now time to talk about the Hocking Division.

Teams in the Hocking Division have to do a bit of traveling to play their conference games in all sports, and I think to potentially make it easier on teams in terms of travel and even scheduling (especially football) would be to add Frontier to the Hocking Division and split the Hocking Division into 2 geographical divisions. What I have for the divisions is:

Hocking East:
Belpre [1]
Eastern [2]
Frontier [3]
Southern [4]
Waterford [5]
Hocking West:
Federal Hocking [1 or 2]
Miller [5]
South Gallia [1 or 2]
Trimble [3]
Wahama (WV) [4]
[#] = Protected-Rivalry in Main Sports
Main Sports = Baseball, Basketball (Boys and Girls), Football, Softball, Volleyball

In terms of conference scheduling, the Hocking Division could use one the following procedures:
A. Cut down on travel by playing 7 conference games (round robin in-division games [4 games], protected-rival, 2 out of division games) in football and 14 conference games in the other main sports (double round in-division [8], 2 protected rival games [2], round robin rest of out of division [4]).
B. Maintain its current amount of conference games at 8 in football (round robin in-division games [4 games], protected-rival, 3 out of division games and 16 conference games in the other main sports (double round in-division [8], 2 protected rival games [2], round robin rest of out of division + 2 more out of division games [6]).
C. Maintain its current format and scratch the division idea, therefore, simply play round robin in football [9 games] and double round robin in the other main sports [18 games].
Regardless would which conference scheduling procedure is used, it gets rid of the 1 non-conference game that has to be scheduled during conference play in the Hocking Division since there would be an even number of teams in the division.

The Ohio Division is more trickier to decide how they could align if the TVC would so choose to. They could do one of the following to the Ohio Division:
A. Not expand and maintain its 7 members and play a round robin conference schedule (6 games) and a double round robin in its other sports (12 games).
B. Add 1 team to the Ohio Division (either Crooksville, Fort Frye, or Jackson, most likely Crooksville or Fort Frye) to get rid of the 1 non-conference game during conference-play and play a round robin conference schedule (7 games) and a double round robin in its other sports (14 games).
C. Add 2 teams to the Ohio Division (2 of the 3 from Crooksville, Fort Frye, and Jackson, most likely the 1st 2 teams) and play a round robin conference schedule (8 games) and a double round robin in its other sports (16 games) like the current Hocking Division conference schedule format.
D. Add all 3 teams to the Ohio Division and split into 2 divisions like the proposed Hocking Division and use 1 of the 3 previously discussed conference schedule procedures. The divisions would look like one the following:

1D. Uses US-33 as the divider line to create the following divisions:
Ohio East:
Athens [1]
Crooksville [2]
Fort Frye [3]
Meigs [4]
Nelsonville-York [5]
Ohio West:
Alexander [5]
Jackson [1]
River Valley [4]
Vinton County [3]
Wellston [2]
Main Sports = Baseball, Basketball (Boys and Girls), Football, Softball, Volleyball

2D. Keeps Alexander with its county rivals in Ohio East and move Meigs to Ohio West.
Ohio East:
Alexander [1]
Athens [2]
Crooksville [3]
Fort Frye [4]
Nelsonville-York [5]
Ohio West:
Jackson [2]
Meigs [4]
River Valley [5]
Vinton County [3]
Wellston [1]

Now in all honesty, I feel like Options A or B would most likely be selected rather than Options C or D, but you have to have all the reasonable options to choose from for the Ohio Division. This extremely long post is just an idea on how I think the TVC should expand from 16 to 17-20 teams if they would ever decide to expand in the future. Hope you all enjoy the read.

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

Ok, I had to throw out an Option E for the Ohio Division of the TVC, but this is more for amusement and humor rather than seriousness, but it is still a somewhat reasonable option.

E. Give Athens the boot and add Crooksville and Fort Frye. Play round robin conference schedule (7 games) in football and double round robin conference schedule (14 games) in the other main sports and then watch as Athens has to revive the SEOAL lol along with Jackson and Logan and hopefully Warren and Marietta as well.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I won't give you the laundry list (A long one) of the success the TVC has had at the Sectional, District, Regional, and State level in many sports recently but...... I will ask why people think this playoff generating machine should be tinkered with?

The question no one seems to answer is how did expansion work for the SEOAL? Is this the path you want us to follow?

I feel for the kids at Jackson and Logan who won't have league championships to chase but..... Why should we risk losing the success we now enjoy for the kids all ready in the TVC?

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

In what way would it have affected any recent sect dist or state results that the TVC has recently had if Jackson was in the TVC.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

The TVC will never add another big school.Athens and VC are the only big schools that will ever be in the TVC.

Its not the member schools jobs to add Jackson because their league collapsed. I feel bad for Jackson and Logan. They are both in a bad spot, but none is slamming the other leagues that said no to Jackson. Logan has been turned down by the MSL and OCC but no one jumps on them for "not putting the kids first" .

Its dead and its done. Jackson isn't a good fit for the TVC ......

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Good god man.

Enough please, it is time to move on and deal with the cards dealt. When the idea was presented to the TVC the last time I was a big proponent, listed reason after reason I thought it was a good fit. That of course didn't matter nor should it have mattered, it wasn't a good fit for the TVC and the TVC decided that.

Made a similar argument for the SOC and SCOL, and guess what, they didn't think the time was right either.

So Jackson is going to have to go it alone. Find the silver lining in that and embrace it and let's go. I imagine finding basketball, softball, baseball, golf, tennis, cross country games and matches won't be impacted as much as perhaps finding 10 football games, but we will just have to do the best we can do. Take 2-3 years and be independent and during that time work behind the scenes the best we can with the administration and leadership and see if we cannot affect a change in 2019 or so. Perhaps in a few years the SCOL or someone else will come calling, who knows. But it is time to accept the independent route, work behind the scenes for the future, and not look back.

Doesn't matter what the mayor thinks, doesn't matter what city council thinks, doesn't matter what the dog warden or county commissioners think...just move on.

It may stink, or perhaps once we start to do some things new or different we will experience some things that make us better or more competitive and it may not stink as much as everyone thinks it will stink. Who knows, but it is time to start focusing on what some of the benefits may be and stop whining (groveling use whatever adjective you want) about being in the spot we are in and blaming someone else for being in the spot we are in.

That is all...Go Red!

Pretty confident we will figure it out.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

G.W.A. wrote:In what way would it have affected any recent sect dist or state results that the TVC has recently had if Jackson was in the TVC.

I think he is referring to the current setup of the TVC Hocking, particularly football. With 9 members, the TVC Hocking is essentially a playoff point "cash cow" for the schools. When you play 8 conference games, in many years, someone goes 8-0 in conference play, someone goes 7-1, 6-2, 5-3, etc. etc. etc. That is a lot of automatic playoff points for those schools. If you split the Hocking into two divisions, the best someone could do would be to go 5-0 in conference play. That doesn't provide nearly as many guaranteed playoff points as the possibility of going 8-0 in conference play. If someone goes 8-0 in conference play, the worst their overall record could be is 8-2. This means its likely multiple schools make the playoffs. If someone goes 5-0 in a smaller conference, that team could potentially finish with a 5-5 overall record and not make the playoffs, and no team from that conference made the playoffs. The larger Hocking Division guarantees more of those teams make the playoffs in football.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

^^ Exactly.

Return to “Football”