GREATEST ATHLETE FROM YOUR H.S. PROGRAM EVER-MALE/FEMALE

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

GREATEST ATHLETE FROM YOUR H.S. PROGRAM EVER-MALE/FEMALE

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

since this drew so much interest on the best coaches topic. then lets have an actual topic about it here. so we can discuss coaches on the best coaches topic. could be very interesting.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: GREATEST ATHLETE FROM YOUR H.S. PROGRAM EVER-MALE/FEMALE

Post by 93Bulldog »

I probably can't go wrong with saying Joe Burrow for Athens.

Can probably make a case for a few others from a different generation, like Dick Adams. Or my generation like Scott Stricklin or Ryan Adams.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

we have had an array of great athletes at ironton high as well.

a few that come to mind are for starters coy bacon. an ironton graduate that played many, many years in the nfl. he played for the rams, redskins, Washington federals of the usfl, and the bengals.he still holds the sack record in a 14 game season. which now will never be broken with the season now being 16 regular season games.i don't know how many pro bowls he went to. but it was numerous. have no idea of high school stats. played college ball at Jackson state.many believe he should already be in the pro football hall of fame.

and there is George mcafee from ironton who is in the pro football hall of fame.but I don't actually have any information on him.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

93Bulldog wrote:I probably can't go wrong with saying Joe Burrow for Athens.

Can probably make a case for a few others from a different generation, like Dick Adams. Or my generation like Scott Stricklin or Ryan Adams.
I would go with Joe as well.

OICU812
Varsity

Post by OICU812 »

There have been plenty of other, but I'll go with one you can't go wrong with from Logan, Katie Smith.

3-Sport All-State athlete in high school. Gatorade National HS Player of the Year, High school All-American, MVP of the HS All-American game, lead a team to the state championship game in basketball. Was an All-State volleyball player. Was a great thrower on the track team, held the state record in shot put and discus for numerous years.

Played at Ohio State, became the B1G Ten all-time leading scorer among men and women, earned Big Ten POY and the Silver Basketball from the Chicago Tribune. Playing for the women's USA basketball team, won 3 gold medals in the Olympic Games and numerous other medals in other international tournaments.

Played professionally in the ABL for the Columbus Quest winning two championships. Then she went to the WNBA. A 7x WNBA All-Star, WNBA All-Decade Team, 2x WNBA Champ and Finals MVP. Retired as the all-time leading scorer in the history of professional women's basketball (ABL & WNBA).

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Katie Smith is pretty much a no-brainer on the female side from Logan High School.

On the male side, I'll list a few:

Bob McBride (1940) - Played on National Championship Notre Dame teams
Robbie Johnson (1964) - Played linebacker at Ohio State
John Gasser (1966) - Played safety at Notre Dame
Ken Culbertson (1973) - Started at LB for West Virginia, played in NFL pre-season games
Scott Gasser (1978) - First back-to-back league MVP in football, great PG in basketball - played at Capital
Keith Myers (1986) - Prolific QB, Basketball star
Kerry York (1986) - Football, Basketball star - knee injury in 85-86 bball season ended run of best hoops team in school history
Brooks Burris (1994) - Shot put state champion, starting left tackle on '97 Rose Bowl Champion Ohio State team
Tom Smith (1994) - Discus school record holder, two-sport athlete at Ohio University
Joey Conrad (2001) - QB'd football team to regional final (farthest ever), started for only basketball team to ever make a regional, star of only baseball team to make a regional
Jason Gerken (2002) - Golf state champion, three-time Ivy League Champion
Patrick Angle (2010) - Most prolific offensive player in football history and Mr. Football finalist, 1000 point scorer in basketball, star of baseball teams; went to Youngstown State and later transferred to Ohio Northern
Coy Blair (2012) - Shot put state champion - went to Purdue, currently throwing at TIffin University

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I REMEMBER TRYING TO TACKLE DANE CONWELL IN JUNIOR HIGH AT IRONTON THAT TRANSFERRED TO SOUTH POINT.
that was like hitting a truck head on. he went on to be a star running back at west Virginia university.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

OTHERS FROM IRONTON THAT WOULD HAVE TO BE IN THE MIX
Kenny fritz-ohio state
roman fry -Clemson
jermon Jackson-ohio state
ralph snead

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:OTHERS FROM IRONTON THAT WOULD HAVE TO BE IN THE MIX
Kenny fritz-ohio state
roman fry -Clemson
jermon Jackson-ohio state
ralph snead
Hey bait! I always heard that Terry Royal was awful good. I know he did win a state championship. Wasn't he the first or one of the first freshman to start varsity for coach Lutz?

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

Chillicothe Cavaliers: Just my opinion but hard to argue with my list.
1. Garin Veris, high school football, basketball, and track. Stanford football and New England Patriots football ( also San Fran )
2. Greg Cook, high school football and basketball. University of Cincinnati football and Cincinnati Bengals football.
3. John Herrnstein, high school football, basketball and baseball. University of Michigan football and baseball. Philadelphia Phillies baseball.
4. Chris Givens, high school football, basketball and track. University of Miami ( Ohio ) football. New Orleans Saints football short stint.
5. Mark Bayless, high school basketball, The Ohio State University basketball. If he would have played football, baseball or track in high school would have been a treat to watch.
other notables, Jim Strausbaugh, Gordon Mickey, Mike Fairrow, Joe Nickel, Anthony Hitchens, Steve Bayless, so in the end it comes back to Garin Veris as he dominated in 3 sports as a high school athlete. Thanks for the topic.

PurplePower
Freshman Team

Post by PurplePower »

Without a doubt, the best athlete EVER at Racine Southern High School would have to be:

THE WHOPPER

He racked up some insane stats following 3.5 years of junior high school where he played on 3 undefeated juinor high teams. Then, he followed that up with 6 glorious years of high school athletics. His teams never could break the .500 mark in high school but he could run for 2.5 yards with the best of them. With all those games under his belt, he is probably the leader in every category of school record one could imagine.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Gabriel lewis is the first freshmen that I remember playing under lutz.

and yes terry was an awesome athlete.

i'll tell you somebody that nobody may guess I'd mention , but he grew up with my son's. he was at our house as much as he was his. chad miller from ironton was a star athlete in basketball, baseball and football. he went on to play baseball at rio grande because he was undersized. he transferred from rock hill to ironton as a youngster. I had the delight to get to coach him in youth football for about 5 years.you talk about gritty and hard working, nobody out hustled him.

singleing out any athlete there would make on feel overwhelmed. we were blessed with so much talent there.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

ATHLETE OR specific player for a sport? Bc I disagree with Locos on several of those if we are talking about ATHLETES; Players who excelled in several sports. And the Logan HOF does alot of what Locos did and mentioned what they did out of high school when really that doesnt matter for a HIGH SCHOOL HOF. Just my opinion. As for Logan Athletes:
Katie Smith, bar none females
Kandy Columber, class of 89, star in Softball and Basketball, volleyball and showed her athletic ability throwing the football....lol
Yock Emerson, again star basketball and softball player
Lori Brown, class of 90, softball and basketball player but great all around athlete
Lori Vorhees, stellar academic person but basketball star and softball star (I think she started both as a soph in an age when that was unheard of)

Boys to add
Josh Lawrence, two sport ALL SEOAL
Johnny Conrad, three sport starter as a sophomore, played with those great classes with Joey, avg 115 tackles on defense three years in a row
Jim Redd, football basketball baseball
Jeff Morgan, again, three sport athlete but that guy was amazing. He was a tremendous talent
Doug Stiverson, three sport player until later, baseball and basketball were his main sports but he was a great athlete. He could of been all seoal football had he played later on
Dan Starner, same mold as stiverson. Football career ended out of junior high but what a player. Basketball and track were his sports but that guy could of done anything.

LoganLocos wrote:Katie Smith is pretty much a no-brainer on the female side from Logan High School.

On the male side, I'll list a few:

Bob McBride (1940) - Played on National Championship Notre Dame teams
Robbie Johnson (1964) - Played linebacker at Ohio State
John Gasser (1966) - Played safety at Notre Dame
Ken Culbertson (1973) - Started at LB for West Virginia, played in NFL pre-season games
Scott Gasser (1978) - First back-to-back league MVP in football, great PG in basketball - played at Capital
Keith Myers (1986) - Prolific QB, Basketball star
Kerry York (1986) - Football, Basketball star - knee injury in 85-86 bball season ended run of best hoops team in school history
Brooks Burris (1994) - Shot put state champion, starting left tackle on '97 Rose Bowl Champion Ohio State team
Tom Smith (1994) - Discus school record holder, two-sport athlete at Ohio University
Joey Conrad (2001) - QB'd football team to regional final (farthest ever), started for only basketball team to ever make a regional, star of only baseball team to make a regional
Jason Gerken (2002) - Golf state champion, three-time Ivy League Champion
Patrick Angle (2010) - Most prolific offensive player in football history and Mr. Football finalist, 1000 point scorer in basketball, star of baseball teams; went to Youngstown State and later transferred to Ohio Northern
Coy Blair (2012) - Shot put state champion - went to Purdue, currently throwing at TIffin University

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

LG -

Great call on Stiverson, Starner, and Lawrence - all oversights on my part. Tremendous athletes.

I should have had Coy Lindsey on my list as well. Easily a top 3-5 basketball player ever at Logan, also was a really strong distance runner and was a great baseball player, although I'm not sure he played baseball in HS.

I only left Johnny Conrad off because I was trying to stick to 2-3 per decade - but on PURE athleticism he may have been even better than Joey.

And for that matter, you'd have to add Melissa Cooper on the female side. Again, from purely an athletic ability standpoint she was absolutely outstanding.

Tez Kraft was a darn good athlete as well.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Agree with all that

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

Best at Chesapeake many great ones but the first one to come to mind is Sonny Stowers played at Army. Another great athlete was Steve Wilson who ran track at the Ohio State.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Those not familiar with Katie Smith....kinda the Bo Jackson of girls sports. Best female basketball player in the state and one of THE best ever anywhere. Could've played volleyball anywhere. State champ in shot and disc? Record holder for a while in each? Could go to most track meets, break stadium record in shot and disc and then go over and win the 100m dash.

Her stories in high school are legendary...just like stories of Bo.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

From Jackson?....Beth Howe, Bobby Exline, Shane Wolford, Jared Humphries, Allen Collins

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens Joe Burrow. Mr Football. 1st team all state in football and basketball. Second most points in Athens basketball history. Could have been a D1 basketball player. Can argue the greatest athlete ever from this area. Heard from many people he could have been the best baseball player from this area
Varsity Totals
Games played 41
Pass caught 670
Pass attempts 977
Passing yards 11416 (4th most in state history)
Touchdowns 157 (3rd most in state history)
Pass % 68.7
QBR 140.3 (Aaron Rodgers has the highest QBR in NFL history 106)

Most Points, Season (minimum 580)
1.861 The Plains Athens (2014 - 15 games)
2. 822 Clarksville Clinton-Massie (2012 - 15 games)
3. 731 Marion Pleasant (2001 - 15 games)
4. 714
Delphos St. John's (1999 - 15 games)
5.713 St. Clairsville (2012 - 15 games)
6. 707 The Plains Athens (2013 - 13 games)
7. 704 Lebanon (1998 - 14 games)
8. 686 Gahanna Columbus Academy (2003 - 15 games)
9. 678 Norwalk St. Paul (2009, 15 games)
10. 666 Toledo Waite (1921 - 11 games)
11. 650 coldwater (2007 - 15 games)
12. 647 The Plains Athens (2012 - 13 games)
Last edited by Raider6309 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote:Those not familiar with Katie Smith....kinda the Bo Jackson of girls sports. Best female basketball player in the state and one of THE best ever anywhere. Could've played volleyball anywhere. State champ in shot and disc? Record holder for a while in each? Could go to most track meets, break stadium record in shot and disc and then go over and win the 100m dash.

Her stories in high school are legendary...just like stories of Bo.
But Phoenix says she wasn't even the best from southeast Ohio ... LOL

Return to “Football”