Most memorable single-game performance you've ever seen?

The General
All State

Re: Most memorable single-game performance you've ever seen?

Post by The General »

I was at The Horseshoe that day for the games between Ironton/ASVSM and Moeller/Mass. Washington. I think it was a few years earlier than 83. At least a couple years earlier. Great games. Frank Stams for ASVSM. Ironton was loaded with all their athletes but couldnt score. Nice crowd. Then the floodgates opened for the next one!! Huge crowd. I dont remember Barry Larkin in this game. He could have been. But I remember the Francisco brothers running the football for Moeller and all those big lineman. And of course Fuzzy Faust. And I remember a young Wingback for the Tigers who also played some defense too by the name of Chris Spiellman. Moeller won this ballgame.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

I just looked at the OHSAA website and those games were in 1982.Larkin's last season in football for Moeller was in 1981.I read where Schembechler never forgave Larkin for accepting a football scholarship then deciding to play baseball after his redshirt freshman season.Schembechler was quoted as saying "no one comes to UM and plays stinkin baseball" lol

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:in 76 I was a soph. on the fighting tiger team.the year I blew out my knee. and didn't play anymore. but we are up at athen's old stadium. I remember it was snowing and very cold. we thumped Athens, and if that wasn't bad enough after the game. when we hit the showers , we turned them all on and went through the door naked and we were all running and sliding in their pool diving in. it was pandleeria.i remember big jimmy colegrove running and sliding across the slick floor like 50 feet. and all of a sudden these lights come on, and there are observatory windows. all these lights start coming on, and here's like 40 naked guys just running and diving everywhere. and Athens band was coming down the hall. then you got 40 naked young men trying to get through one door with a normal size entry. then coach lutz heard about it. at was a long ride home.

They should have had the phones then that we do now..... :lol:

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Larkin's heroics happened in 80 or 81. Faust offered him the chance to play both sports at Notre Dame. His Brother Mike was a Linebacker at ND.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:in 76 I was a soph. on the fighting tiger team.the year I blew out my knee. and didn't play anymore. but we are up at athen's old stadium. I remember it was snowing and very cold. we thumped Athens, and if that wasn't bad enough after the game. when we hit the showers , we turned them all on and went through the door naked and we were all running and sliding in their pool diving in. it was pandleeria.i remember big jimmy colegrove running and sliding across the slick floor like 50 feet. and all of a sudden these lights come on, and there are observatory windows. all these lights start coming on, and here's like 40 naked guys just running and diving everywhere. and Athens band was coming down the hall. then you got 40 naked young men trying to get through one door with a normal size entry. then coach lutz heard about it. at was a long ride home.
In 76 you played where they play now and you won 19-6.first years were rough there, built it in the swamp. Smart engineering
Last edited by Raider6309 on Sat May 23, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Burrow vs Toledo Central Catholic. Had 446 yards passing and 6 TD passes, both state records. Also added 70 yards on the ground. Seeing Warren for TCC and Burrow hit eachother was the hardest hit I've ever seen. Both had unbelievable will and was fitting the last drive those two men met in a very hard hit. Never seen a high school game have 10 straight lead changes and will probably never see it again at the state final

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Bait, in that 83 State game Barry Larkin had 2 or 3 interceptions for Moeller. Bo offered him a full ride to play at Mich but chose baseball.

I did not know that dutch. cool

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

The General wrote:I was at The Horseshoe that day for the games between Ironton/ASVSM and Moeller/Mass. Washington. I think it was a few years earlier than 83. At least a couple years earlier. Great games. Frank Stams for ASVSM. Ironton was loaded with all their athletes but couldnt score. Nice crowd. Then the floodgates opened for the next one!! Huge crowd. I dont remember Barry Larkin in this game. He could have been. But I remember the Francisco brothers running the football for Moeller and all those big lineman. And of course Fuzzy Faust. And I remember a young Wingback for the Tigers who also played some defense too by the name of Chris Spiellman. Moeller won this ballgame.
oh my gosh general frank stams was a beast for ASVSM I remember a defensive back from ironton. and I know who it was. he jumped on stams back as he broke through the miller. and rode stams like a saddle, he barely slowed down.

and you brought up some names I'd forgotten like the fransico brother. and moeller's line looked like pro linemen size.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I know this falls outside your single game limit but I think the Burrrow's kid run through the playoffs this year with only one interception is the most memorable performance I've ever seen.

He threw a bunch against the best the State had to offer----with only one pick.

The kid was mortal---he threw one pick during the regular season too. :)

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

Jared Humphreys vs Donte Love 2004 Jackson/Withrow game. Don't have the stats for that game, but it seemed like Jared would make a play, then Donte made a play, back and forth for four quarters

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Brandon Shankwiler at either Valley or Oak Hil. Amazing night both places.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Westfan wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:
4th n Goal wrote:In 2007 Burg was down 28-0 at the half to Fredericktown in week 12. Burg came back to tie the game at 38 and ended up losing 41-38 after a controversial goal line stand where most everyone thought the ball crossed the line. Burg was very conservative in the first half, but Spradlin must have thrown for over 300 yards in the 2nd half to bring them back.
Couldn't have been 2007...
Im positive that game was played at Nelsonville-York. I worked that game and watched the second half on the Burg side. I'm pretty sure that was 2009 or 2010.
Could be wrong, but I think that game was played in Lancaster.
I believe it was lancaster

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Fortdawg wrote:I know this falls outside your single game limit but I think the Burrrow's kid run through the playoffs this year with only one interception is the most memorable performance I've ever seen.

He threw a bunch against the best the State had to offer----with only one pick.

The kid was mortal---he threw one pick during the regular season too. :)
I like he also caught a game clinching int against Tri Valley. He also threw a TD pass to himself that was number 1 on ESPN against Desales. His run the last three years is right at the top of the best SEO high school careers

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

One that comes to mind for me was the burg - ports game at burg. I'm not sure the yr it was early 00's. Maybe around 03 or 04. But the burg was down 7-0 late in the game and ports was driving and ready to score. We couldn't stop them. They line up 1st and goal on about the 10. I could be wrong but I believe they lined up in shotgun and the ball was picked off in stride and returned like 96 yards for a game tying pick six. Burg ended up winning the game 10-7

The General
All State

Post by The General »

Joe Burrow is the best Offensive Football player from this area EVER. Its not even close. And trust me. There have been a lot of really good ones. I still believe that Andy Howard is the best TRUE football player I have ever seen around here. In fact there could not have been any other kid more physical than he was. He was a pretty good ball-carrier and a devastating blocker also. These 2......

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I remember a game where ironton played Lancaster on their homecoming. it was an electric atmosphere. Lancaster's band came marching across that bridge, and it looked like an army battalion. there were floats- cars with the gals on em. we were listening to a call in coaches show earlier. he was referring to the fighting tigers as river rats. he said we used to play them a lot. the coach was saying how we beat up on a bunch of nobodies along the river. if I'm not mistaking Lancaster had climbed to either 2/3 in the largest division in the state d1.anyhoo nobody from Lancaster thought ironton had a chance. and bob lutz and the fighting tigers just thrashed them on their homecoming. we were just scoring at will.at Lancaster they used to have all the restrooms on the homeside. they still may. so at halftime everybody had to pee. I remember a sea of orange and black flooding into their restrooms. I was in line and I heard these guys saying. ''where in the he## is ironton anyway, and just how big of a city is it to thump us like this. ----------it was a great ride home.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Cornelius English, 2007 Meigs vs. Oak Hill @ Oak Hill. 14 carries for 315 yards, 5 touchdowns. On defense, 15 tackles, a sack and two interceptions. On special teams, 5 touches for 200+ yards and a touchdown. He singlehandedly willed Meigs to a victory in a 40-30 win.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Cornelius English, 2007 Meigs vs. Oak Hill @ Oak Hill. 14 carries for 315 yards, 5 touchdowns. On defense, 15 tackles, a sack and two interceptions. On special teams, 5 touches for 200+ yards and a touchdown. He singlehandedly willed Meigs to a victory in a 40-30 win.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Jason Vorhees wrote:Cornelius English, 2007 Meigs vs. Oak Hill @ Oak Hill. 14 carries for 315 yards, 5 touchdowns. On defense, 15 tackles, a sack and two interceptions. On special teams, 5 touches for 200+ yards and a touchdown. He singlehandedly willed Meigs to a victory in a 40-30 win.

awesome.

Return to “Football”