Best game you ever watched or played in....

ironman02
SEOP

Re: Best game you ever watched or played in....

Post by ironman02 »

Raiderball wrote:Can't remember for sure what year for sure.... 89-91 or so, Jackson at Athens. Bubba Lichtenberg QB at Athens was hilited on espn during the week but Marty Exline, Jackson TB put on a show that night. Athens won.... 42-38????

Yep, Athens won it 42-38. I think Marty ran for something like 300 yards that night, but the Ironmen came up short due to about 180 yards in penalties. Right, 93bulldog? :122245

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Raiderball wrote:Jackson/Hillsboro playoff game at Spartan Stadium in mid 90's was a good one too.
Definitely a great football game. Defensive battle in the sleet/snow.

Hillsboro got an early FG to go up 3-0 and then no one scored again until Jackson finally punched in a TD in the 4th quarter to take a 7-3 lead, and would eventually win by that score.

I just remember TJ Turner (who went on to play at MSU and in the NFL) being an absolute monster on defense for Hillsboro. Jackson was playing without FB/DT Shannon Smith and Joey Boggs was a bit hobbled by his bad knee, but the Ironmen got their first playoff win in program history.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

ironman02 wrote:
Omega wrote:For us old geezer spectators, how about the Southern Ohio Super Bowl of 1969.

Waverly 9-0-0 versus Jackson 9-0-0.

Final score 14-14 tie.

Bill Pekala where ae you ?
How exactly did that one end? I remember hearing about it, but was one team threatening to score right at the end or did one team score to tie it?
Ironman02,

The score was 14 all when Jackson stopped Waverly on the one foot line on a fourth and goal as time was expiring in the game. Jackson led 7-0 at the first break, Waverly led 8-7 at half, Jackson went up 14-8 in the third and
Waverly tied in at 14 in the fourth.

Jackson was led by Darrel<?> Vallentine in the backfield and one of the seeming endless supply of Stockmeister men on the line. Probably one of the bigger crowds at Jackson maybe going back to some of the Wellston games
in the 1950's.

I remember the game as being very well played by both teams and perhaps the tie score was fitting as neither team deserved to lose.

This game was the last of a stretch where Waverly compiled an undefeated streak of 24-0-2. The next season
marked Waverly's ill fated entry in to the SEOAL and heralded fourty three years of relative football mediocrity
(yes Coach Bolin did have some great teams mixed in those years).

I am sure the resident Waverly historian John Knight can expound on the details of the game.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Thanks, Omega. Sounds like an amazing game. Like you said, probably fitting that it ended in a tie after such a great effort by both teams.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Darwin Valentine

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Here are some of the best games I've watched

2002: Div 4 regional final west beat ports 34-18 at the tank

1998: D5 state semi finals burg lost to versailles 14-7

2004: D5 regional finals burg lost to amanda 27-25

2007: regional semi finals burg lost to fredericktown 41-38 in over after being down by several scores at ht

2008: wk one burg beat ironton 23-22 with a td pass from sophomore backup qb brandon schankwiler to sophomore receiver andy stegman

2009: regional quarterfinal burg beat monroe central 52-42 in a qb shootout

2009: regional semi final burg lost 15-14 on a heartbreaking fumble on the one yrd line

Here is a video of the fore mentioned game winning td pass in 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWJF8L5O3HE

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

The best game which I was involved in was at Ironton in 1971 when Logan beat Ironton 22-19 up to that game Ironton's QB Hal Spears had not thrown an interception, On the first series one of our DB step in front of an Ironton receiver and BOOM an interception. Logan continued to ground and pound the tigers.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

C-Bolt wrote:I missed that one but the one that has to be the best one I saw was a loss for Logan, 2007 Logan vs Tri-Valley last game at Bill Sauer with everything on the line in a big game atsmosphere,the Pickerington game in 2000 was great also, but Pickerington had their 2 best players not play that night, so it would have to be the Tri-Valley game for me.Cam West and that receiver were awesome and also Lucas Wright made some outstanding plays that night.The Scotties tried the same pass play 3 straight plays in the final seconds in the endzone and the third time was a charm.
Good one also, Heartbreaker though with a loss and being the last game ever to be played on the hill top. Noticed hundreds of people walking out of there like the world had ended. She was all over with for Bill Sauer field.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

F Akron Buchtel Steubenville 28-21 (2 ot) Ohio Stadium, Columbus 1988

F Hilliard Davidson Cleveland Glenville 16-15 Canton Fawcett Stadium 2009

Of all the playoff games I have ever watched, these two were by far the best!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

The 02 state semi final Portsmouth West vs Youngstown Ursaline. West came in a huge underdog and smack Ursaline in the mouth for the win and a trip to the state championship. Ursaline was the most athletic team I ever saw the were led by Daryl Clark who went on to be the starting qb at Penn St. A all american te and 3 or 4 more D1 players.

Another awesome game I saw was a junior high game I think it was 04 or 05 West 8th grade beat Logan 8th grade, I think it was the firt time the boys from Logan lost in their 5 or 6 years of playing football. West was led by Alfie Bricker, Dale Swords, Luke Morgan, Travis Perry, Travis Journey, Scotty Sparks an a bunch of other great kids. Very hard hitting and exciting game.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

I think it was 1990 Waverly vs Burg at Waverly . Waverly won on a 27 yard field goal by Meritt.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Another exciting game I almost forgot about 1979 Logan vs Nelsonville-York,Nelsonville was just two years away from a state title and Mark Ruggles split the uprights from 45 yards with Logan trailing 9-7 with time running out at old Polley Memorial.This would be the best regular season game for me.

Blue Duck
Freshman Team

Post by Blue Duck »

Wellston vs Vinton County 1999. TVC Champonship

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

Best game I ever played in was 1990 West vs. Ironton at Tank stadium. The game was played a week before everyone else opened the season. The stadium was packed with fans from all over both counties. West won 14-0 breaking Ironton's home winning streak. Definitely a playoff atmosphere for an season opener. Best game watched as a fan was the 2002 West vs.Ursaline semi final game. great game to watch.

Bart Kowski
Waterboy

Post by Bart Kowski »

Played in

Meigs 7
Nelsonville 6

Watched

WV Single A 2012 Championship
Wahama 43
Madonna 42 (OT)

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Ironman92 wrote:Darwin Valentine

Thank you for the correction, Ironman 92. The mind forgets more than it ever knew as it ages.
I do remember that Valentine was a quality running back.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

His brother Kenny was one of the better athletes to every grace JHS.

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

Not sure of the year, Cape #1 @ Ironton #2 . I think it was around 1985. :?:

Also , Minford at Piketon, 2012

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

2 games come to my mind during my school days at Minford. In 1985, Minford defeated Wheelersburg at home before a standing room only crowd. The second game score-wise wasn't a best game to watch, but Minford playing in there first ever state playoff game, traveled to Columbus Clipper Stadium and played former Ohio State RB Carlos Snow's Cincinnati Academy of Physical Education in 1985.

B-dawg79
Freshman Team

Post by B-dawg79 »

2011-12 season Minford @ Waverly Minford led 34 to 7 at halftime Waverly came back to win 35 to 34

Return to “Football”