Fairland, Rock Hill and South Point joining SEOAL?

Rebelcat
All Conference

Fairland, Rock Hill and South Point joining SEOAL?

Post by Rebelcat »

That's the rumor in Gallipolis. Any truth to it?

footballfan
JV Team

Re: Fairland, Rock Hill and South Point joining SEOAL?

Post by footballfan »

No, Fairland tried to pull SP and Chesapeake that way but I heard the board at Chesapeake and the super at SP said no way. This all revolves around Fairland.....no one else from the OVC is leaning that way.....

bigpoppy20
Riding the Bench

Post by bigpoppy20 »

No way Rock Hill goes. They keep rejecting Ironton and Portsmouth for OVC. The Herald had a good article about it.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Sounds like it is lining up for a southern division

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

always felt this was a nice fit for Portsmouth now that we have have lost size

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

noreply66 wrote:Sounds like it is lining up for a southern division
Sounds like a rumor to me...

Rebelcat
All Conference

Post by Rebelcat »

Personally I think it would benefit the Lawrence County schools to branch out and play more games outside Lawence, Scioto and Gallia counties. No one outside those counties knows much any of the schools outside of Ironton. Ironton always plays teams from a larger radius and people and voters are more familiar with them

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

I doubt that Rock Hill would want to join, but Chesy would make a good fit, especially in Basketball.

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

I thought Chesapeake and Fairland were joining for wrestling after river valley left, because these are the only 2 schools with wrestling in league. the league has already added teams just or soccer and i was told several other sports would be picking up teams for just one or 2 sports in this ever changing scenario.

As far as football goes or any OVC teams coming in all sports i never thought it had much legs. i have heard a rumor that the SOC2, the OVC and SEOAL were negotiating a deal for their teams to play non league games against each other in weeks 4,5,6. thus making it each easier for each league to survive with less members. this i heard out of Jackson and a couple of people from Portsmouth i know. but i have heard nothing about it locally. it is my understanding is each team from each league would vote if they wanted in this new deal or not but the teams that choose to participate would be thrown in and matched up for 2 or 4 year agreements then you would switch and play other teams. within the group. thus giving teams that joined only 2 or 3 games they would have to look for each year.

I personally still say in less then 10 years most leagues in south east Ohio will not exist as we know them. I think there will be some new football only league created or football and basketball leagues. And then here will be totally different leagues for baseball, softball, volleyball and such. this leagues will all be very local and will only have teams from 2 or 3 county's in them at most. since all these people make it to the post season. less travel makes sense you can still schedule bigger schools or tougher schools non league but travel will be cut immensely. i actually think closer to 5 years but it may take longer before enough schools are just so strapped that the choice is this or scrap certain sports programs.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I agree totally with the above post----how much does it cost Miller and South Gallia in the spring sports? Eventually you'll get to make that trip twice or maybe even three times because of weather. How many people from South Gallia or Miller make the away trip to watch a Girl's basketball game in January? It seems to me that making the leagues by distance and competitiveness would make a lot of sense and benefit the kids and parents.

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

It wouldn't be a good fit..once Logan get rolling again .

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Thought I had Fairland's 2013 football schedule earlier this summer, but must have misplaced it. Would someone send me another one? Thanks.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Jottings wrote:Thought I had Fairland's 2013 football schedule earlier this summer, but must have misplaced it. Would someone send me another one? Thanks.
8/30 A Portsmouth West
9/6 H Meigs
9/13 A Gallia Academy
9/20 A Wheelersburg
9/27 H Athens
10/4 A South Point
10/11 H Chesapeake
10/18 A Dawson-Bryant (Coal Grove)
10/25 H Rock Hill
11/1 H River valley

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Thanks.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Another brutal non-conference schedule for Fairland.
There's no logical reason why Portsmouth, Gallipolis, and yeah, even Ironton, shouldn't be in the OVC or at least play OVC schools in football each year, assuming travel costs are truly that big of an issue for schools around here. The conference is a dinosaur - a remnant of a time before regions, playoffs, etc and is merely the successor of the old Lawrence County league that featured such "powerhouses" as the Windsor Dukes and the Mason-Aid Green Wave. Lest we forget.
Adding even 2 of the 3 aforementioned teams would cut costs for everyone and make the conference much less impotent competitively.

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

Won't happen! Why would teams who drive 20 mins to all league games except for going to RV want to go to Logan or Warren both of which would be over 100 miles. I think Logan leaves the Seoal and I see Warren leaving. I can also see GA, Portsmouth, Jackson and Ironton joining the OVC. Travel wise it makes too much sense, also South Point and Rock Hill are pretty small schools to play against GA, Warren, Jackson and Logan year in and year out. RUMOR

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

RebelCat wrote:Personally I think it would benefit the Lawrence County schools to branch out and play more games outside Lawence, Scioto and Gallia counties. No one outside those counties knows much any of the schools outside of Ironton. Ironton always plays teams from a larger radius and people and voters are more familiar with them
Voters for what. Lol Ap poll or Espn/USA Today poll?

Return to “Football”