Ironton and Ironton ST Joseph ???

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Ironton and Ironton ST Joseph ???

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I heard that next year anyone that goes to Ironton ST Joseph will be able to play Football for the Fighting Tigers, I wonder how many will take the opportunity to do so?

Here's a link that says it is allowed since their school does not have Football.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... publi.html

If their private school doesn’t offer the sport or club they want, they can join up at a public school in their home district. They can also use a public school outside their home district, but not for sports or a club that competes interscholastically.
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Re: Ironton and Ironton ST Joseph ???

Post by Frank Reagan »

[url]www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/ ... i.html[url]

That is a link to the new state law regarding what you are referring to. You will have to copy and paste because I am not smart enough to make it hi-light to directly click on link.

From what I see, it isn't that they will be able to play just for Ironton, they will be able to play/participate in extracurriculars for their home school, ie. if they live in Ironton, South Point, Coal Grove, Rock Hill, they can participate at Ironton, South Point, and so on.

As the article says, there will be lots of fine tuning, wrinkles to iron out and headaches to be taken care of before its all over.
Last edited by Frank Reagan on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:24 am, edited 6 times in total.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Last edited by Frank Reagan on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

XandOs wrote:Here is a link to the new state law regarding what you are referring to. You will have to copy and paste because I am not smart enough to make it hi-light to directly click on link.
Thanks

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

XandOs wrote:[url]www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/ ... i.html[url]

That is a link to the new state law regarding what you are referring to. You will have to copy and paste because I am not smart enough to make it hi-light to directly click on link.

From what I see, it isn't that they will be able to play just for Ironton, they will be able to play/participate in extracurriculars for their home school, ie. if they live in Ironton, South Point, Coal Grove, Rock Hill, they can participate at Ironton, South Point, and so on.

As the article says, there will be lots of fine tuning, wrinkles to iron out and headaches to be taken care of before its all over.
You are right, this could be interesting.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I wonder if there's even any boys from Ironton St Joe that would even be interested in playing football, they only have 18 boys in grades 9-11 according to OHSAA.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Another recruiting tool!

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

moonshine wrote:Another recruiting tool!
It will be interesting to see how OHSAA is going to handle this, especially if it starts next season with the Enrollment figures and Divisions set for two years. I wonder how many Private schools are out there that does not have a Football program?

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

The new law becomes effective September 30th, 2013 according to the OHSAA website, but I believe the OHSAA has decided to enact it for the beginning of the school year since some may participate in fall extra curricular activities.

kevbk6222
JV Team

Post by kevbk6222 »

ohbuckeye2 wrote:I wonder if there's even any boys from Ironton St Joe that would even be interested in playing football, they only have 18 boys in grades 9-11 according to OHSAA.
From my experience, more boys may stay in the catholic schools with this new rule. I know from my class there were a few boys, including myself, who transferred to Ironton from St. Lawrence after elementary school and being able to play football was one of the influences. If I could have stayed in the catholic schools while still being able to play football for Ironton I'm not sure what I would have done.

chiefs
Varsity

Post by chiefs »

kevbk6222 wrote:
ohbuckeye2 wrote:I wonder if there's even any boys from Ironton St Joe that would even be interested in playing football, they only have 18 boys in grades 9-11 according to OHSAA.
From my experience, more boys may stay in the catholic schools with this new rule. I know from my class there were a few boys, including myself, who transferred to Ironton from St. Lawrence after elementary school and being able to play football was one of the influences. If I could have stayed in the catholic schools while still being able to play football for Ironton I'm not sure what I would have done.
This is interesting. I can see OHSAA finding a way to fix potential exploitations. If there's something like fifteen kids from a private school playing for a public, they may force the private school to sponsor that sport. I don't think we'll see this problem affect Catholic schools, but I think it'll defintely affect charter schools and home school students, especially for basketball.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

I have always thought this would be a good thing. People that send their kids to Catholic schools or other private schools also pay taxes that helps pay for the public schools. I believe there would be more kids to attend St. Joseph for school but enjoy playing for another in football. I think St. Joe would gain students from Coal Grove, Rock Hill and South Point. St. Joe already has a good basketball and baseball program as well as a soccer program. I wonder if there are kids that attend Ironton that would want to play soccer for St. Joe since Ironton does not have soccer. That would also work in track and golf. Do many schools in the area still play tennis? I played 1 year for Ironton in 1979 just to have something to do during the spring.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

TRH wrote:I wonder if there are kids that attend Ironton that would want to play soccer for St. Joe since Ironton does not have soccer.
From what I read of the law, it doesn't go both ways. Home school and non-public (private) can participate in extra curriculars at public schools, not the other way around so Ironton kids could not go play soccer.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

TRH wrote:I wonder if there are kids that attend Ironton that would want to play soccer for St. Joe since Ironton does not have soccer.
From what I read of the law, it doesn't go both ways. Home school and non-public (private) can participate in extra curriculars at public schools, not the other way around so Ironton kids could not go play soccer.

Return to “Football”